Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Anima Zero

Kama Sutra Demopack [Released!]

Another gap in the UV Speed table plugged:
Map11 UV Speed in 0:33.

First exit. Just one trick here, but (for me at least) a difficult one. Unfortunately I lose 2-3 seconds at the end. I'm not sure what a good time would be here, but I'd certainly be very impressed with 0:25 or lower.

Pacifist is no doubt feasible, but the start then needs some luck.

"Angus the Underminer" ... hehe, thx Doug, I love it to start the day with a good laugh :) And I also enjoyed your cyber telefrag, Anima! Great demo (as ever)!

BTW, I've found an hour to play Doom myself this morning. It was one of those nice pre-breakfast-sessions:
I did Map25 NM Speed in 0:45.

Now I watch Grazza's new speedrun and send my demo to Opulent and ksutra-n. Bye!

Anima: The 1st Cybie telefrag in map24 is the strategy Method originally supposed to be the best for maxkill, so if you force him to go at the end of bridge and let him be blocked by barons you can telefrag him everytime you want to.
I watched your map29 maxkill, I think you lost a lot of time and health with a RocketJump which is not necessary at all, because that box with burning barrels is easily accesable from the ground even just by running only forvard (no strafe 40 or 50 needed)

Btw. It seems that both speed and max tables are growing up simultaneously. They could be once released in a one demopack.

Gusta said:

Anima: The 1st Cybie telefrag in map24 is the strategy Method originally supposed to be the best for maxkill, so if you force him to go at the end of bridge and let him be blocked by barons you can telefrag him everytime you want to.
I watched your map29 maxkill, I think you lost a lot of time and health with a RocketJump which is not necessary at all, because that box with burning barrels is easily accesable from the ground even just by running only forvard (no strafe 40 or 50 needed)

Map 24: Yeah, when the cybie cooperates properly :P. Heck, I wasn't even aiming to go for the telefrag as I always had no luck in getting him properly placed while it's fighting HKs so I can do the telefrag, so I'm most pleased to get the telefrag.

Map 29: *Kicks self* Didn't see that. Go me. Well, may as well see if I can go improve the time on the level.

EDIT: Phew, took my whole morning to get a new map 29 UV-Max. Did a 35:21 right off the bat, but I felt it could be improved even more.

Took a few more hours after that to get a 33:36 exit. Still room for improvement, but for now, this will do. Below 33:00 would be nice to see.

Sending to Ops now.

BTW, if anyone tries ks11, note that strafe50ing onto the last teleporter can lead to you dying without exiting (that was with prboom -complevel 0). No, that didn't happen to me in a recording attempt, but it would be desperately sad if someone did fall foul of it. Edit: there are some linedefs on the sides of the pillars you jump across that have bad tags - if you trigger them then you can get, as they say, "trapped inside a illusio-pit". A nasty little bug.

Gusta: what is the plan for ksutra-n? To release packs once each category is complete, or to wait a while until people have had time to polish their demos, or only when as full a pack as possible is ready? Oh, and please put me out of my misery by revealing what shortcut tricks (if any) are intended in map14. I've suffered long enough. :p

Anima:
In map24 the telefragging is easier, when you attack cybie a bit from the water, so he don't attack (and kill) Knights that should block him.
Under 30mins would be sweeter :) Btw. Have you tried the natural route on this map? I am still not sure if taking the BFG make it much faster. I would even say it's slower but I still haven't tried.. I work on a good route in map18 today

Grazza:
Well, my time for map14 is 18s... Archie jump was somehow obvious there so I added a possible RJ for the end. If one would have enough health to miss Blue Armor, the perfect run could bring tohe time close to 10sec?

About ksutra-n I thought once eg max category would be completed I would let some time (2-3 weeks???) to give people an opportunity to improve their own times or beat the other ones and the release. We'll see how much will guys want to compete, I just know Radeg is on some maps these days.
And speed table..many times are close to be an optimal runs and the table itself is nearly full. At the end I think these two categories could be released in one pack.. I guess..in the beginning of June???

Grazza, where do you come up with these tricks, man? :-) I loved your ks05 demo... The ks11 demo was also nice.

I'll post a few more speedruns in a day or two. Got too much other stuff to do ATM. :-(

Gusta: thanks for the tip. I must just fail rocket jumps.

Kristian Ronge said:

Grazza, where do you come up with these tricks, man? :-)

Watching thousands of demos and sheer bloodymindedness, I guess. :)

Anyway, here's another:
map18 (The Train is Approaching) UV Speed/Pacifist in 0:21.
Just one shortcut (a tricky but not difficult jump) and otherwise straightforward running (which I cock up here and there, of course). I found it a bit disappointing that a map inspired by Clandestine Complex (av24) didn't have a more intricate route, but never mind. To compensate, Max should be good to watch.

Gusta said:

Anima:In map24 the telefragging is easier, when you attack cybie a bit from the water, so he don't attack (and kill) Knights that should block him.
Under 30mins would be sweeter :) Btw. Have you tried the natural route on this map? I am still not sure if taking the BFG make it much faster. I would even say it's slower but I still haven't tried.. I work on a good route in map18 today

Map 24- True, but the cybie should at least kill a few Knights before going for the telefrag. Otherwise, taking out the HKs might take just as long as taking out the cybie without doing the telefrag (After it has killed all the enemies in the first area of course).

Map 29- Well, I just gave it a few attempts trying without the BFG. I got busted at the Mastermind fight. Go me and thinking the rev rocket coming towards myself wasn't homing...only to realize it was at the last second. Oops >_<. I think I was around 18-19 minutes in to the recording by then. I was going at a good clip too. Whether or not it's faster than running for the BFG...well, I don't know exactly. Getting the BFG early makes several fights a lot easier and seems quicker. Who knows. I'll probably give the run another shot using my route (getting the BFG early) and see what I can come up with.

Grazza said:

Gusta: what is the plan for ksutra-n?

How about correction of many missed textures in ksutra.wad? It is very annoying in ports with hardware rendering (glboom). And as far as I concerned it does not influence syncronized demos - those had been recorded previously.

BTW, I just had my shortest Doom session ever: Map25 UV Speed improved to 0:35. I send it to Opulent and ksutra-n.

I got this run on my second try. Crazy :) In hours and hours before (tried this excessively last weekend) I had no luck at all, all my good runs ended with a blocking cyberdemon or a rocket into my face. And now this. Ok, it's still not as fast as it should be, but at least there seems to be a bit of justice in the world of Doom.

Well, here's yet another improvement to map 29 UV-Max...31:18 is the time on this one. Still has a fair share of mistakes, but I think using my route, which is to get the BFG early, a time under 30:00 could be reached. I might give it another shot tomorrow (Or maybe someone else wants to take a crack at it? You're more than welcome to do that).

Oh, and close calls about too.

Sending to Ops now.

Hello again! Back sooner than I expected. I improved the map 18 run. Again: marvellous trick, Grazza! :-)

Map 18 UV speed (and reality!) in 0:17. Note that this is not pacifist, so Grazza's kp18-021 is safe (for now).

It's still very much improvable, so ... good luck!

Time to squish another UV-Speed level...

Map 20, "Traps", in 2:33. Still plenty of room for improvement (2:20 or lower perhaps?).

All I'll say about the run is...cacos are evil! You'll see why when I get the BSK and try to get past a group of them.

Sending the demo to Ops now.

Anima Zero said:

Map 20, "Traps", in 2:33. Still plenty of room for improvement (2:20 or lower perhaps?).

I'm afraid you missed a shortcut - you don't need the blue key at all, as you can jump directly across to the area with the arachnotrons (the teleporter that you use down in the nukage brings you out at just about the right place to make the jump).

Also, I'm fairly sure the BFG isn't worth getting (unless you can get it without losing time by a multi-AV jump). The RL blasts through the imps quickly enough, so I'd suggest just grabbing the invul immediately, stepping into the room with the archies (but otherwise ignoring them) and then running for the exit. You should still have 200/200 at the cyber/spider area. The last parts of the run will be only slightly trickier with no BFG. Edit: I'd suggest 1:05 as a time to aim for, and I'm sure it could go under a minute.

It looks too far away to me, and I'm not sure how it would speed a run up in any case.

Well, for starters, you could skip the yellow key room entirely, of course. :-)

But yeah, it seems a bit far-fetched. (I'll try it out in nomo with strafe-50 and see if it is possible.)

EDIT: Ah, nevermind, I just realised you can just blast yourself through those barrels at the "waterfall". D'oh! Besides, the trick didn't work anyway.

Tried the Map20 speedrun with skipping the bluekey and BFG. Damn, this is fun! My best time so far is 1:15. But it's a crapdemo. I need a better strategy for the chaos near the end, and a multi-AV jump onto the moving wall would also be nice.

You're right, Grazza, under a minute is possible.

I got a first exit on map 20 five minutes ago in 1:15. :-)))

I was going to post it, but if there are so many people working on it, I'll try to come up with something better...

EDIT: Oh, what the hell...

Map 20 UV speed in 1:15. Pretty crappy, first exit and so on. :-)

Nice, Kristian! I just did it in 1:08. I'm sure this will be beaten soon. It's still full of mistakes, but I'll send it to Opulent and ksutra-n.

Have to stop Dooming now. Good luck with improving it!

Heh, good job on the map 20 UV-Speed. Now I can say I wasted half an hour trying to get an exit using the shortcut Grazza pointed out (Got a 1:30, then a 1:19). Don't feel bad ^_^.

Oh well, I redeemed myself anyway on another map :). Look below.

Yet another UV-Max for...yup, map 29. Finally got a demo where everything went nicely, no huge mistakes (Just some very minor ones).

Oh, and I still go for the BFG early. I just think it saves more time in the end IMO, especially when I deal with the bull demon/caco/PE army late in the map (I make them teleport in first before heading back through the teleporter to the 1st secret area. I also try to get the cybie to hit some cacos/PEs if possible).

Now, the demo time...28:22, almost 3 minutes faster than my last one. It's also under 30:00 now. Yay!

Sending the demo to Ops now.

Angus Thermopyle said:
Nice, Kristian! I just did it in 1:08. I'm sure this will be beaten soon.[...]Have to stop Dooming now. Good luck with improving it!

Map 20 UV speed in 1:04. Would you believe that this was my 2nd exit!!?? ;-)

Thanks for the nice comments guys, heh, but that 1:15 of mine deserved no praise at all. In fact, this new run's also pretty sketchy. I had really bad luck at the end, otherwise I might've gotten 1:02 or something... Oh, well. This run will be taken below 1:00 pretty soon anyway, if not by me then by someone else.

Sad to hear about your wasted half-hour, there, Brian! If it's any consolation, I wasted an hour of attempts yesterday trying that trick jump in map 18 because Grazza didn't mention it was strafe-50 only! (I'm not mad, though) ;-D

About that map 29 max -- can't wait to see it, it has to be a killer demo!! :-)))

Kristian Ronge said:

Map 20 UV speed in 1:04. Would you believe that this was my 2nd exit!!?? ;-)

Thanks for the nice comments guys, heh, but that 1:15 of mine deserved no praise at all. In fact, this new run's also pretty sketchy. I had really bad luck at the end, otherwise I might've gotten 1:02 or something... Oh, well. This run will be taken below 1:00 pretty soon anyway, if not by me then by someone else.

Sad to hear about your wasted half-hour, there, Brian! If it's any consolation, I wasted an hour of attempts yesterday trying that trick jump in map 18 because Grazza didn't mention it was strafe-50 only! (I'm not mad, though) ;-D

About that map 29 max -- can't wait to see it, it has to be a killer demo!! :-)))

Heh, thanks. If anything, map 29 was far worse though. Nothing says "DAMMIT!!!" like dying when you're almost at the end the level. In an earlier attempt today, I messed up the archie fight after dropping down from the BFG platform (AGAIN! That's the 2nd time I've done that!), and died as a result. There goes about a half hour of my life. Another attempt today got busted at the cybie after the Mastermind. There goes another 15 or so minutes. It's nothing new to me ^_^.

Oh, and going to go watch your demo now. Should be fun to watch.