Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
President_Evil

Pillar revolving around a pillar?

I'm creating a tech base level, and one of the things I want to create is a revolving shaft, with two smaller revolving shafts on either side that will circle around it.

I realize that I'm pretty much boned unless I use zDoom's polyobjs, but regardless of what I try I can't get the two satellite pillars to spin around the main one. How do I have to lay this out? Is it even possible with the limits of polyobjs?

President_Evil said:

...I can't get the two satellite pillars to spin around the main one. How do I have to lay this out? Is it even possible with the limits of polyobjs?

I think that polyobjects are generally designed to move along a fixed axis. However, by changing the angle in the following argument, you ought to be able to (theoretically, at least) move the polyobject along constantly changing axes:

Polyobj_Move (po, speed, angle, dist)
I have only created polyobjects that slide along one axis (sliding doors or gates) or rotate from a fixed anchor point (swinging doors), so I can't be of more help. Good luck.

IIRC polyobjects are not allowed to leave their subsector, so you might run into graphical glitches when rotating around a pillar.

boris said:

IIRC polyobjects are not allowed to leave their subsector, so you might run into graphical glitches when rotating around a pillar.

I think I understand how subsectors work. I'm going to try ReX's method tonight, as soon as I'm done taking care of something IRL.

In the meantime, I have a second problem. I started work on a munitions factory level, and one section has a bunch of rockets spawned on a conveyor belt, as actors, with no speed whatsoever, so that they are carried along the conveyor. I tested it, and the player cannot get close to the rockets without dying horribly. Is there a way around this?

President_Evil said:

I think I understand how subsectors work. I'm going to try ReX's method tonight, as soon as I'm done taking care of something IRL.

In the meantime, I have a second problem. I started work on a munitions factory level, and one section has a bunch of rockets spawned on a conveyor belt, as actors, with no speed whatsoever, so that they are carried along the conveyor. I tested it, and the player cannot get close to the rockets without dying horribly. Is there a way around this?

Are you spawning the rocket missile? If that is the case it is not surprising. Either spawn the rocket ammo type or create a new item that just looks like a rocket.