Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nightmare Doom

The best midi player.....

Ever since I had to wipe out everything out my computer (due to High Frequiency...and it was long ago) and reinstalled Doom, my Midi player doesn't sound as sharp as it used to be (It sounds all muffled)

Here's the midi systems that I have currently have

SB Audigy Synth B [DC00]
SB Audigy Sw Synth [DC00]
SB Audigy Synth A [DC00]
Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth

Am I missing something here?

In ZDoom I have TWO Midi options that are not currenlty working.

both of them are

Midi Mapper
Timidity ****

any suggusted solutions? (or what I have to download?)

Midi Mapper is the Windows system, if that doesn't work, then it is a Windows problem (missing driver?). Check the control panel.

For Timidity you are probably missing patches (soundfonts). Google for "timidity patches". I think they go in C:\TIMIDITY, but check the ZDOOM docs.

Ajapted said:

Midi Mapper is the Windows system, if that doesn't work, then it is a Windows problem (missing driver?). Check the control panel.

For Timidity you are probably missing patches (soundfonts). Google for "timidity patches". I think they go in C:\TIMIDITY, but check the ZDOOM docs.

Well can you give me some steps on how to get these Midi devices working properly?

If I recall correctly, look on your Driver CD for an 8MB sf2 file. load it in soundfont. For some godawful reason, Creative packaged the Online driver with the sorry 2MB E-MU soundfont. Ugh.

As a few other folks have posted, it sounds like that you need to locate the EMU Technologies "8MBGM.SF2" SoundFont file and load it in.

If you wish to play around with the Timidity support of ZDOOM, check the text file included with this ZIP -> http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12527

P.S. The Gravis format patch files contained in the 8mbgmpat.zip archive were created from EMU Technologies 8MBGM.SF2 SoundFont file.

Relica Religia said:

I always found the Quicktime plugin to play the best-sounding MIDI player.

I've had mixed feelings on Quicktime. While I do like the sound, Firefox seems to hate Quicktime. Pops and skips ahoy.

Okay How do I load the 8MBGM.SF2 in soundfont?

Edit: I also get this error when I try to open 8MBGM.SF2

The ROM samples used in your SoundFont bank are not compatible with those on your
selected sound card. Playback of ROM will be disabled.