Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About andrewj

  • Rank
    Senior Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. andrewj

    Renaming The Baddies

    or the whole world, heh.
  2. andrewj

    Disenchantment Season 01

    Just watched the first episode. The animation was extremely good, better than I expected, but it was a lot less funny than I expected too. So for me it's fairly meh so far....
  3. andrewj

    Renaming The Baddies

    Well I thought the project leaders said something like that. I didn't like some of Ray's monster names either, but one advantage of such a rule is that it prevents endless bikeshedding on the monster names.
  4. andrewj

    Things about Doom you just found out

    The wad files used by Quake or HL1 are not compatible with DOOM wads. Their entries can be upto 16 characters long and each entry has extra information, like the type of the entry and compression. They were mainly used for textures and other graphics. It is unfortunate that they used the same file extension as DOOM wads.
  5. andrewj

    Hi, I'm making a 2D, ascii art Doom game.

    Does it have sound effects?
  6. andrewj

    Renaming The Baddies

    I think the rule is: whoever makes the sprites for a monster gets to name it.
  7. andrewj

    Eureka 1.24 Released

    I already asked him in a PM, but no reply yet. No hurry though.
  8. andrewj

    Eureka 1.24 Released

    I have released a new version of Eureka Doom Editor, version 1.24. Version 1.24 consists mainly of bug fixing and general polishing, but there a couple of new features. Website: http://eureka-editor.sourceforge.net/ Changelog: http://eureka-editor.sourceforge.net/?n=Main.Changes124 (there is no MacOS X package yet, since I cannot build it myself)
  9. andrewj

    Need testers for Eureka DOOM Editor

    I have discovered why drawing in the 2D view (with no sector rendering) is slow under X windows. It basically comes down to something in the FLTK toolkit, the fl_color() function is used to set the color of the next draw operation but it is very slow under X windows. So drawing 27000 knobbly linedefs takes 103ms when using fl_color() before each one, but only 7ms without it. That is really fucked up. I would probably be better off to simply draw the map view to an off-screen buffer using custom line-drawing (etc) code. But it requires some major work which I don't have the energy for right now. Using multiple passes over the lines (e.g. drawing all light-gray lines in the same pass) gets the time down to decent numbers, so that's the approach I will take.
  10. andrewj

    Eureka 1.21 Released

    Almost certainly a bug in the FLTK toolkit.
  11. andrewj

    Eureka 1.21 Released

    I will look into that (I have never seen it either). As for switching modes in 3D view, if I unbind or rebind keys like "t" so they don't have an action in the 3D view, then pressing them works for me (the editor mode is changed). Similarly pressing "j" in the 3D view does perform the Jump To Object function. Or is there something additional you think these keys should do when in the 3D view?
  12. andrewj

    Need testers for Eureka DOOM Editor

    In the preferences (General tab) there is a setting "require click to focus". Turning it off disables this behavior, however it also makes something not work quite right (e.g. input boxes in the panel seem to hog the keyboard focus). I don't know how to properly fix this yet.
  13. andrewj

    Need testers for Eureka DOOM Editor

    1. I will soon add a preference for the flat rendering (and defaulting to off) 2. "wrong" is just your opinion 3. I don't know, the whole way of handling mouse buttons and the wheel got reworked for v1.21. I will have to check the code to be sure 4. I like the fresh tag button idea, and have started to implement it Regarding the fullscreen issue, again I don't know since I don't have a Mac to test on. It is probably an FLTK bug. Eureka uses the Fl_Sys_Menu_Bar widget which does special things on MacOS (to show the menu at top of screen, like normal apps on that platform). P.S. to use mouse wheel for scrolling the 2D view, go into key bindings in preferences and bind the wheel to the "WHEEL_Scroll" command. It needs a parameter for the speed, e.g. 100
  14. andrewj

    Need testers for Eureka DOOM Editor

    Yeah it probably should reshow the grid -- noted.
  15. andrewj

    Need testers for Eureka DOOM Editor

    This is implemented since 1.11 -- a right click on a texture shown in the Sector or LineDef panel will set that texture to the default (from the Default Properties panel). Eureka already works this way -- if you select multiple sectors, changing something in the Sector panel will change all the selected sectors. The background color of the panel turns red to indicate that multiple sectors (etc) will be affected by any changes. P.S. I am going to profile the drawing code for any bottlenecks.