Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Mordeth Not Dead Yet

Mordeth said:

Use a Windows port that has full Dehacked compatability (like PrBoom, Eternity).

I've just taken a quick look at mordeth.deh for any known issues with Prboom's dehacked support, and see that it contains a "Bits = 0" line, which the official Prboom doesn't handle correctly (often this is a showstopper too). This bug is fixed in Prboom-plus though.

To check there aren't any other problems, I've just verified that Opulent's set of Doom2.exe Max demos on Mordeth all play back on Prboom-plus - they do. (Note - to verify this, I just loaded them up and pressed "End" to check that they each played back all the way to the stats screen.)

Mordeth said:

Use a Windows port that has full Dehacked compatability (like PrBoom, Eternity). Download the mfb97dsf.zip archive, and run the port with the PWADs and Dehacked patch. See specific port docs on how to do that (eg. "eternity.exe -file mywad.wad -deh mydeh.deh").

See Mordeth TC site for the same info and download links.

As for running other DOS games on your XP box: I've had lots of success with a utility called VDMSound. Search for it on Google, you'll find download links plus instructions. The only game I did not succeed in running was, unfortunately, Doom :)

Alright, I'll be trying that later today. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: I did what you said, and I'm not 100% sure I've got it right. There are a lot of places with the teleporter flat and it looks like there's a flat modification missing. On that note:

Grazza said:

To check there aren't any other problems, I've just verified that Opulent's set of Doom2.exe Max demos on Mordeth all play back on Prboom-plus - they do.

Hmmm... Where could I find said demos? I'd like to see if I've got this right.

rrwoods said:

EDIT: I did what you said, and I'm not 100% sure I've got it right. There are a lot of places with the teleporter flat and it looks like there's a flat modification missing.

It sounds like you're using the version in the archive, rather than the alternative version on his site that Mordeth recommended for port users (that version should work OK "straight out of the box").

I think that you can still get the version in the archive to work with ports, but you need to run the installation procedure, or at least one very small part of it:

nwt -as morgrap0.wad
...and then use the wad this creates, rather than the one straight out of the zip. As far as I can tell it all works OK then, but it's so long since I played Mordeth that I can't remember for certain.

The demos play back OK with either version - as I understand it, the only difference between them is in the way the graphics wad is organized.

Grazza said:
as I understand it, the only difference between them is in the way the graphics wad is organized.

That's right. The WAD organisation I used went the way of the Dodo, and is not compatible with any port. Hence, the other archive (mfb97dsf.zip) which does have the correct WAD organisation for port usage.

Seeing teleporter flats all over = bad. You did not follow instructions in my previous post ;)

PS: thanks for the link to those demo's! Never knew those.

Is there any reason why the port-compatible version isn't in /idgames? (Unless of course I've failed to find it; there's a mordeth.zip but no mfb97dsf.zip)

I think it should be there for two good reasons:

• these days most people use source ports (yes I know there are those who don't, don't flame me) so it is more useful for the port-compatible version to be more readily available
  • Downloading from 3ddownloads, to put it mildly, is a crime against nature :) Seriously though, please turn off your popup blocker and then sit there for half an hour while we do nothing but throw adverts at you. Ugh, no thanks.

Good question. I always thought I got it from the archives but apparently not. It's not there.

I guess it didn't make the transfer to the new FTP server, because I'm quite sure I've uploaded it before. Will do again soon... hopefully no will mistake it for episode 2 :P

I simply failed to load the graphics wad. Here I am, trying all sorts of complicated things (like following the instructions in the readme) when all I had to do was to add the "mdeugrap.wad" in the line below:

glboom -deh mordeth.deh -file mordeth.wad mdeugrap.wad

Looks much better now. I like the new enemies too, they look tough at first with their multiple imp-fireballs, but turn out to be very balanced. The "chaingunners don't drop guns" thing was clever too; I almost felt relieved when I saw one, and then discovered that I wouldn't be getting a chaingun...

(EDIT: spelling)

Mordeth said:
That's right. The WAD organisation I used went the way of the Dodo, and is not compatible with any port. Hence, the other archive (mfb97dsf.zip) which does have the correct WAD organisation for port usage.

Hmm, what engines don't support SS_START/S_END and FF_START/F_END? I have no intention of releasing two versions of my wad just because of something like this.

At least Chocolate Doom will run it correctly... (although rrwoods seems to imply PrBoom is okay with it; that sounds fine to me.)

myk said:

Hmm, what engines don't support SS_START/S_END and FF_START/F_END? I have no intention of releasing two versions of my wad just because of something like this.

At least Chocolate Doom will run it correctly... (although rrwoods seems to imply PrBoom is okay with it; that sounds fine to me.)

I did have to download the alternate version.

rrwoods said:
I did have to download the alternate version.

Ah, after downloading the different packages (2 from 3 places) I see what's up; I was almost sure there was one using the method described in the tutorials section, but that seems to be some example brought up after Mordeth did it privately for testing purposes while never actually having posted a version of the wad set up that way. The two available versions are a DeuSF friendly one, and the first release, using some archaic method that doesn't even have markers till installed.