Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
gamul312

Jag Doom thoughts

I've been enjoying Jaguar DOOM lately after lucking out on a cheap untested system auction on eBay... what I like about this one is the paired down (simpler) levels, the faster monsters (pinkies and cacodemons are really aggressive) and some of the other adjustments to the gameplay that carried over to the PSX version - like shotgun has longer range, I think, and screamers have less health, so are less annoying. There also seems to be more enemies at once than the PS version.

Sometimes I think the game looks better with the simpler tileset too, as well as the plainer (brown) HUD.

I've found the lack of true save a frustration (only saves how far you got, not ammo, guns, armor, health). But on the other hand the levels are designed to be played from start with just 50 pistol ammo, so if you're good you can get by. It provides a challenge this way.

The controller actually fits the hand pretty well and the keypad is nice for selecting weapons/map.

I did have a loading error earlier where it would randomly load a certain level (10, I think) over and over again during gameplay. To fix this I cleared the save memory by holding down *, # and Options at the title screen. Hope this does not occur again.

Does anyone else like this port a lot? I like both PSX and Jaguar versions for consoles, as well as the PS3 one "Doom Classic Complete" with its bright, clear, high-res graphics, sharp controls (slightly sharper than BFG edition), MP, etc. I haven't played the X360 one (which I think was done by the guys that ported Wolf to PS3 and did No Rest for the Living?)

There's no perfect port of the game, I'm sure, but as I was saying earlier, I wonder if the Jaguar adjustments to gameplay were actually for the better. I hope there is a really good emulator finished one day.

atariage.com ;
Virtual Jaguar GCC/SDL Emulator - Best Jaguar emulator to date and still seeing active development.

I've never played Jaguar Doom though the videos I've seen of it on Youtube have made it look like one of the better console ports. Of course it was personally ported by John Carmack himself which no doubt was no small part of that. Certainly it must have got the love and expertise it needed to be a faithful port.

I really like the Lost Soul health adjustment in JagDoom and its derivatives. Those things just have too much health in the PC version when considering how aggressive and mobile they are.

fraggle said:

I've never played Jaguar Doom though the videos I've seen of it on Youtube have made it look like one of the better console ports. Of course it was personally ported by John Carmack himself which no doubt was no small part of that. Certainly it must have got the love and expertise it needed to be a faithful port.

yeah, and I read in the manual online that American McGee converted the maps.

I will try running it in emulator(s). And wanted to play PSX Doom on my tablet but still not tried it. PC is #pcmasterrace ;)