Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Doom 64's uneven level design

soulweeper said:

I definitely want to get back to EX someday, but right now I'm focusing on completing UV nosave runs of Doom and Doom II using PrBoom+. I used to exclusively use Zandronum which isn't so bad I suppose but I've become more of a purist over time and want to re-beat the games in a more accurate source port.

What do you mean by nosave run? Ironman? No saving during level?

Sodaholic said:

One "unevenness" issue I'd like to address is the batshit crazy map order. Map25 through 27 isn't even part of the main game, it just jumps from 24 to 28.

Yeah I feel like they could have adjusted the map slots a bit better. Since 25-27 are warp-only fun levels, why not put those at the very end in the order.

I didn't have too much of a problem with Doom 64's level quality/design. The only two maps that I outright cannot stand are Dark Entries (stupid goddamn homing missiles in the main room) and Alpha Quadrant (that damn pit room where you need to jump across the pillars to get to the switch).

Doom 64 was probably the most cryptic Doom game that I played. Had a lot of trouble solving some of the puzzles. One was the Yellow Key in Final Outpost, another was the Blue Key in Spawned Fear, in addition to the Blue Key on Breakdown.

shotfan said:

What do you mean by nosave run? Ironman? No saving during level?

Sorry for being unclear, yeah I'm not saving during the levels.

Sodaholic said:

Those are some beautiful screenshots, by the way, Piper. Really like the angles you took them from, very dramatic.

Thanks, Soda! I just took them in Doom 64 EX, I was trying to find this "uneven level design", but it seems rather elusive. I think there is just too much Hatorade out there.

Technician said:

Insanity. id's art assets were primitive at best in comparison. I'll give them props for their limited hardware, talent and pioneering new techniques. Doom 64 has digitally drawn and 3D rendered assets. Most of Dooms artwork is modified stock photos, recycled assets and physical mediums such as clay and toys.

What the artist has available at their disposal and the overall art direction of a project are two different things. It wasn't the tools that made the difference, it was the execution. The monsters in Doom 64 are kind of smeary and animate poorly compared to their PC counterparts, especially when it comes to death animations. That said, I still think they're fantastic designs.