Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zaiman12345

MY FIRST DOOM WAD (Do not suggest playing)

Let's see, wall textures on the floor, hall of mirrors, Wolfenstein SS..

*Looks at title*

Seems about right.

In all seriousness, congrats for at least starting Doom mapping: we've all gotta start somewhere and all things considered I've seen a lot worse. If you want to develop your skills I'd recommend playing some of the well-known mapsets and seeing how they approach mapping and gameplay. Take the elements that you enjoy and incorporate them into your own work and over time you'll have your own unique style of map. You just gotta keep at it.

Oh, and I'd recommend mapping for Boom or limit-removing compatibility format to start off: vanilla is a bit too restricting and ZDoom is a bit too open if you're just starting out. You gotta get the basics down pact before you tackle the big stuff.

Well, I played it anyway.

In all honesty, this isn't the worst first mapping effort I've seen. I especially liked the tiny bit of detail in the very first room, and I admire how the map wasn't just a series of rectangular shapes (which is something I still have the tendency to fall guilty of, and I've been mapping for almost 7 years). The gameplay wasn't impressive at all, though, as it was essentially just a bunch of hitscanner enemies.

That said, I second what Obsidian says. We all gotta start somewhere, and I'm glad that another mapper has joined us. Just keep at it and don't stop improving. Chances are you'll make a Cacoward-winning map(set) one of these years. c;

I don`t understand why newbies often put nazies in their first maps(yeah,I know I`m still newbie in mapping stuff). Anyway,I hope you won`t put these nazi enemies in the other maps.

Your wad should have more details and some height variations. Change brightness levels. Well,people said that in other words. Good luck.

MysteriousHaruko said:

I don`t understand why newbies often put nazies in their first maps(yeah,I know I`m still newbie in mapping stuff). Anyway,I hope you won`t put these nazi enemies in the other maps.

Your wad should have more details and some height variations. Change brightness levels. Well,people said that in other words. Good luck.

Already done.

MFG38 said:

Well, I played it anyway.

In all honesty, this isn't the worst first mapping effort I've seen. I especially liked the tiny bit of detail in the very first room, and I admire how the map wasn't just a series of rectangular shapes (which is something I still have the tendency to fall guilty of, and I've been mapping for almost 7 years). The gameplay wasn't impressive at all, though, as it was essentially just a bunch of hitscanner enemies.

That said, I second what Obsidian says. We all gotta start somewhere, and I'm glad that another mapper has joined us. Just keep at it and don't stop improving. Chances are you'll make a Cacoward-winning map(set) one of these years. c;

Hopefully I will, and thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm working on a second map pack already, so wish me luck and I hope you'll have more ideas for improvement.

Taking from your second level, I'd suggest not using the same wall texture in a massive chunk. The texture you used with the light is supposed to break up another wall texture.

Just something else to keep in mind with what everyone else has said.

The levels you created have a lot of potential.

•In terms of non-graphics:
~The first level is great in terms of being curvy, a little balcony with enemies shooting at you, and enemies around the corner

~The second level is also great because it has alcoves to miss the shots from Revenant, Baron, and Knight.

~Third - is just a few sectors yet what seems to be potential for bigger and better maps.

•In terms of graphics:

Obsidian said:

Let's see, wall textures on the floor, hall of mirrors, Wolfenstein SS . . . If you want to develop your skills I'd recommend playing some of the well-known mapsets and seeing how they approach mapping and gameplay. Take the elements that you enjoy and incorporate them into your own work and over time you'll have your own unique style of map. You just gotta keep at it.

This is great piece of advice. I know new mappers/modders/(WAD makers) do have a tendency to overuse textures since I was in the same standing when I started mapping a 1-episode wad for Doom, in which case I wasn't even done modding in all the enemies, items, and weapons.

•I would actually, using Doom 2 game configuration in Doom Builder 2, make the map first, not adding any enemies/items/weapons, until I am satisfied with the result. Playtesting it yourself over and over and over again, putting it on hold for a day or two and then going back. I did that with a couple deathmatch wads I did for a friend (not the ones I submitted which were my first maps of deathmatch).

Once you get a good feel for the non-thing completed map, start adding in everything else. Then playtest-edit-playtest-rest-repeat. You'll find that room 45 would go great if you had a wall move and out comes enemies, with a medkit or two.

~If someone has a different theory or Doom editor, then that is their opinion just like this advice is my opinion and you could do what ever feels comfortable to you.

•P.S. Doom The Way ID Did (dtwid.zip & dtwid-le.zip), Doom 2 The Way ID Did (d2twid.zip), Doom 2 Reloaded(d2reload.zip), Plutonia 2 (pl2.zip) are some extravagant megawads, Baker's Dozen (bd.zip) is an extravagant port.

Some wads to take notes from are some good wads (Miscellaneous Mayhem [dd_misc.zip], Dark Invaders [drkinvds.zip], Test Subject 43 [testsb43.zip]) and some bad wads (The Hallway of the Tempest [theh.zip], Berenice [berenice.zip], Gateway.wad [gateway.zip]).