Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom 3 Textures for Doom

Just now, Mr.Rocket said:

I have plans for the map begin single player/coop as well, currently still in the process of planning map layout and creating prefabs as I go though.

Because of a heavily Doom3 inspired theme, this particular Doom2 level will probably take as long if not longer as it would to build a typical Doom3 map.

The monsters and such won't be different though, in this case only the map will be Doom3 themed, everything else will be classic Doom.  

Maybe you could use the Doom 64 sprites and sounds instead. They would fit the new textures a lot better I think.

1 minute ago, hardcore_gamer said:

My original project (the one shown in the old video I made) has been scrapped since I intend to restart it in the Quake engine. There are couple of reasons for this. The first is that since Quake is full 3D and brush based just like Doom 3 is it be will MUCH easier to create Doom 3 like level design. While I was able to create some cool looking stuff with Gzdoom after a while creating complex 3D stuff started to become extremely time consuming and annoying to a point that I just don't think it's possible to do justice to Doom 3's level design by using Doom. With Quake however this isn't much of a problem.

The second reason is that I have been learning 3D modeling and am planning on creating some new enemies and weapons for the mod as well. Quake's weapons and monsters are low poly and have fairly few frames of animation so making some new weapons and monsters should not be that hard or time consuming to do. It will probably be a single episode.

I could still upload what I had made for the original Doom64 version though for those who want it. While not finished I think it already contained about 30 min of gameplay or so and it included new weapons and enemies. That version had some pretty cool stuff in it so it would be a shame if none of it got to see the light of day :(

I would love to play it!

2 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

As would I, yeah lets check it out!

@DooM_RO about the Doom64 monsters, hmm.. maybe.

Sounds too, they seem to fit the horror atmosphere more.

Just now, DooM_RO said:

Sounds too, they seem to fit the horror atmosphere more.

I think maybe what I'll do is plan A with original Doom monsters, so a Doom64 mod or even a D3 weapons mod could be ran with it if wanted. 

2 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

Either way, there needs to be a community project around this. This is too good to ignore.

I think things kind of stalled because @hidfan was working on the vanilla sized textures, so everyone was kind of waiting for that to be done before jumping in. 

The hi-res textures are ready to go of course, so if we made it a GZDoom focused community project (to benefit from dynamic lights) then obviously that isn't an issue.

I need to make sure that the full texture pack of 3.6 is available to everyone first.

Current one hosted is 3.5 other than the texture.txt for 3.6.

~ it wasn't the easiest task to create the texture.txt/script as it contains roughly over a 1000 scripts.

On a second thought, I think I will just continue working on my current project for Brutal Doom 64. I just messed around with the textures for Quake and the result doesn't look anywhere near as good as I had hoped it would. I blame this largely on Quake's lesser lightning. It's been a while since I added anything to this project so I think I will do a bit more work next weekend (my pc is currently bust so I can't do anything right now :( ). I will upload a new preview video as well since it's been a while since the last one.

Ok, here is the current D3Retro v3.6 texture pack.

Also contains bright maps. :)

Instructions:

1. Download and extract the .zip into any random directory on your computer.

Folder name:  D3Retro_v3.6_TEXTURES will be created.

2. Load GZDB up and then load or create a new map.

Select to build in a source engne that supports UDMF.

When asked to Add resources, select (Add resource) and then select the (From Directory) Tab.

Select the location of both of the Textures and Brightmaps directory paths, then hit Ok.

2.1 You will have to do this twice so both textures and brightmaps will be loaded separately.

3. That's it, the textures are loaded and you can begin to map with them.

Ps, to use brightmaps in DB, all you'll need to do is select a normal texture that has lights or look like it should light up. Most all textures in the texture pack that contain lights should light up, so don't just select a brightmap texture, otherwise the texture will only have a black background. ~ I'm sure most of you already know this but I have to say it anyway, just so everyone's on the same page with that.

To take full advantage of brightmaps, lower your sector lighting.

~ Run in Opengl and add a few dynamic lights if needed. 

Credit and Details:

All credit goes to id software for the original Doom3 textures.

All additional credit goes to hidfan for (D3 Retro) the Doom3 to Doom conversion texture set.

Additional, additional credit goes to Rachael for Torm'sTool, a png batch filename conversion tool.

You guys Rock!

So you're thinking, well wait what does Rocket get out of this?!?

Using the textures, I created the brightmaps and the scripts to get it all to work, no worries, I'll pat myself on the back for that one later. :)

Enjoy!

--------

P.s.s, I mistakenly left a mapinfo.txt in the brightmaps directory, it was for music while working on my map, feel free to delete it. ~ then you'll be able to hear the music again. 

Cheers

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Since I already used a earlier version of the textures will I have to retexture the entire level or can I simply replace the old textures with the new ones right away and have it work?

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:53 PM, hardcore_gamer said:

Since I already used a earlier version of the textures will I have to retexture the entire level or can I simply replace the old textures with the new ones right away and have it work?

If you used the 3.6 version texture.txt then you shouldn't run into any problems.

21 hours ago, A7MAD said:

@Mr.Rocket Great Job!

Heh, thanks man! 

But hidfan should get most of the credit, he's the one who did a lot of work on the textures.

For those who may not know, Doom3 textures are layered and are mostly composed of 3 textures. A diffusemap, a specularmap, and a bumpmap. hidfan manually fused these textures in to a single texture image so we could use them in classic Doom. This could not have been an easy task.

So props to him for that!

Feel free to credit me for the brightmaps and texture script though, oh and the animated textures if you like. :)

Cheers

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Actually, no, there's no skies in the texture set as of yet.

If hidfan fixes them up, I'll add them to the pack accordingly.

Eventually I'd like to get to the point where the pack could be a single pk3 file.

As well as a single wad file for vanilla. They would need to be standardized sizes, eg, the floor textures would need to all be 64x64, and the transparencies converted to cyan etc. But I don't know yet if vanilla can handle over 1700 textures in a pwad and still load without error. Doom2.wad has a little over 600 textures, so maybe.

If not, I'm sure most source port engines could though.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

just for the record if you have been lookig for d3 textures and have been on the fence about downloading this...just do it.  these things are quality. 

thanks for the textures guys, they look amazing.

Thanks Mr.Rocket for continuing technical support on this project. You have had a big role in this, you should receive a lot of credits, because without you, I'm not sure I would have been able to make this as usable as it is now :)
Big thanks to you. 
It's nice to see the textures being used in quake as well. it would ask the same time consuming 256 color conversion work as for doom palette to be the most "engine generation" versatile, but quake (1 and 2) palette colors are closer to doom3 than doom1, so I guess the conversion is already of some acceptable quality.
I'm very glad to see people having fun with these. It's a second life for id's art team's awesome work !

Mr.Rocket, do you want me to place a mirror of your last pack on my files repository ? I don't know when I'll have enough free time in front of me again, to dive again into doom engine conversion. I hoped to have been able to finish this before its one year birthday, but it's hard :/.

Anyway, thanks again Mr.Rocket for your awesome "finish" work here =)
If we can see maps with these it's because of you !

Heh, I feel a bit humble as without you I wouldn't have been able to allow others to easily have a take at using them. :)

Yes feel free to host the pack at your repo!

We have yet to add sky textures also a readme file.

I suppose the post I made above should work fairly well for a readme.txt

Thanks!

I will try to continue and have a 3.7 version out at some point.

I too have limited time to work on the project.

:)

Cheers!

Edited by Mr.Rocket

I have an idea about a part of the map I'm slowly working on.

If you remember the part in Doom3 where you walk/jump along the floating floors when it was a cross between tech and hell, I think it was Alpha Labs? I'd like to recreate this (not exactly but similar) So I'm probably going to end up creating some other 3rd party type textures.

Mainly the large chains that held the floors in place, or looked as if they did. So then if/when I create these chain textures, should I include them in the next update to the pack?

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Here is the new mod preview I promised. I would have posted it yesterday but the damn thing took over 24 hours to upload thanks to my slow internet :(

On the bright side it's over 40 min long so there is plenty to see :)

On 11/13/2017 at 11:21 AM, hardcore_gamer said:

Here is the new mod preview I promised. I would have posted it yesterday but the damn thing took over 24 hours to upload thanks to my slow internet :(

On the bright side it's over 40 min long so there is plenty to see :)

this looks like a party!

any way i can get my ahnds on it? maybe a little playtest for playtest of my pack?

8 hours ago, cortlong50 said:

this looks like a party!

any way i can get my ahnds on it? maybe a little playtest for playtest of my pack?

The level isn't playable from start to finish. After the end of each section I had to quit the game and move the player start to another location to show of each part. Weapon and item balancing is also not done at all. It's not playable in it's current state. I just wanted to show off what I had made.

On 11/15/2017 at 4:32 AM, hardcore_gamer said:

The level isn't playable from start to finish. After the end of each section I had to quit the game and move the player start to another location to show of each part. Weapon and item balancing is also not done at all. It's not playable in it's current state. I just wanted to show off what I had made.

when the time comes and you need playtesters let me know! id love to get my hands on this.

New textures don't work. They just appears as red circles with a white X on them in the editor. I am using Doom builder in UDMF mode and I fallowed the instructions above. Yet they don't work.

EDIT: Actually wall textures appear to work. It's just the flats that are bugged.

I have it setup for Doom2 in UDMF also, using GZDB however. ~ it's basically what I built the texture pack around and tested each texture individually. 

For example:

d3_retro_shot2.png

Floor and ceiling textures shown above.

I suppose everyone will be restricted to only using GZDB for the texture pack, until a D3 Retro WAD resource is made?

Not really.. All this doesn't actually mean that the TEXTURES WILL NOT WORK,  as you put it, because the textures are actually loaded, as you see the name of the texture in DB2..

The real problem here is that DB2 just doesn't display the texture image in its texture library..

This has nothing to do with the texture pack its self. It's a bug in DB2 as DB2 thinks a 64x64 texture is a flat in UDMF, and it shouldn't.

Evidentially this was fixed in GZDB.  

Here's GZDB: https://devbuilds.drdteam.org/doombuilder2-gzdb/

Even though the pack works just fine in DB2 aside from this known issue in DB2, I updated the instructions to only use GZDB and UDMF.

It will no doubt need to be loaded like this until a WAD resource is created.

Thanks!

---------

On a side note:

It will be brought up if I don't say anything, so here it is.

Of course I can't blame it on DB2 100%, as the texture pack could be released a few different ways in which it hasn't yet, so I apologize for that.

It's not a big deal to create other versions that are compatible with all versions of Doom, as a WAD file up to a pk3, it just takes time.

The good thing is, it is about as hi-res as it could be, as it is, and still be a somewhat reasonable file size. ~ are they 256 bit color? I haven't even looked..but it would have been my ideal compression method if they were tga format, but that's not the case; currently png seems to look pretty good to me.

Never the less, the only reason it's not packed up into a pk3 is because it is in a young state and currently open to additions. ~ and is also why the brightmaps and animations are in separate directories.

In other words, when this resource pack is ready, really ready to pack up, then that's the time to make it compatible with everything. eg, batch it up into a wad file so all is whole and works with vanilla without turning back. ~ which means almost 2000 textures will need to be palette'd, resized, and not require a script to work, which is another small project in its self, and again requires time.

That said, we have a working texture pack, for now, and you make what you can in its best working state until we down grade to vanilla.

But then again, is lowering the quality of the textures and changing what one would think would be a flat to a FLATXXXX a priority? 

No.

After all, what texture is considered a flat and what's not?

Are all the textures useable other wise?

Yes.

So there's that.. :)

Cheers

Edited by Mr.Rocket

Hi,

Here is the current beta1 PWAD version of the Doom3 Retro texture set:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_XMtG541zSRKYxkc774ziVp1M3QJVFMI/view?usp=sharing

There are several large WALL texture sizes in this release as I have yet
to find a batch utility that will resize over 1600 textures on the fly.
I may just have to make one.

Never the less, it is a working resource wad and file/image names won't change.
All flats are 64x64 so it will work in DB2.
*All textures have been converted to the Doom color palette, and most
transparent textures are done.

Let me know if you encounter any bugs!

Thanks!

Edited by Mr.Rocket

12 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Hi,

Here is the current beta1 PWAD version of the Doom3 Retro texture set:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_XMtG541zSRKYxkc774ziVp1M3QJVFMI/view?usp=sharing

There are several large WALL texture sizes in this release as I have yet
to find a batch utility that will resize over 1600 textures on the fly.
I may just have to make one.

Never the less, it is a working resource wad and file/image names won't change.
All flats are 64x64 so it will work in DB2.
*All textures have been converted to the Doom color palette, and most
transparent textures are done.

Let me know if you encounter any bugs!

Thanks!

"I may just have to make one."  _the man who is fed up with the machine.

i am using your previous beta version...am i missing out on anything?  also i have added a few textures to the animdefs if youd like i can paste the code.  not a ton, but enough that i think it could be useful for someone.

On 11/23/2017 at 11:05 AM, Mr.Rocket said:

d3_retro_shot2.png

wait one god damn minute.

how did you made the metal near the door? like the three areas jutting out on each side of the door on the left?  what!?