Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

What happened to Olivia after she became the spiderdemon?

That's kind of a matter of perspective isn't it? Merged, or transformed, whatever, but the prophecy from the Umbral compendenium is stating the mastermind is not in a state of existence yet - it only "exists" as an image in the minds of the demons - it starts to literally exist when the merger happens. Up until then, the presence known as the lord of the fourth age of Hell is only that disembodied voice that keeps commanding the demons. So in its creation, Olivia ceased to be what she was before and became part of this new form. I'd call it, for her, a transformation of sorts.

How much control she has or how much of her experiences survive inside the thing is up for debate because the game doesn't bother to make it clear.

My Theory is that once the demons found out that her peas were dry and the Doom Slayer killed her, she died.. But! The evil spirit of the Mastermind lived on awaiting its next victim, perhaps in DooMII 2019?

Cheers

Quasar said:

That's kind of a matter of perspective isn't it? Merged, or transformed, whatever, but the prophecy from the Umbral compendenium is stating the mastermind is not in a state of existence yet - it only "exists" as an image in the minds of the demons - it starts to literally exist when the merger happens. Up until then, the presence known as the lord of the fourth age of Hell is only that disembodied voice that keeps commanding the demons. So in its creation, Olivia ceased to be what she was before and became part of this new form. I'd call it, for her, a transformation of sorts.

How much control she has or how much of her experiences survive inside the thing is up for debate because the game doesn't bother to make it clear.

I would think she lost herself and became a pure demon, the whole reason id made the enemies demons was to avoid any moral dilemma of killing aliens. If Olivia had any human left in her or was being controlled, it would send the dangerous implication that Doom Slayer may have killed a manipulated human being which I don't think goes well with what id is going for.

Atendega said:

You people keep saying she "transformed" into the Spider Mastermind, when the codex makes it pretty clear that this isn't the case.

The first Project Lazarus Tethering Operation (MTC 2146/351) retrieved a small compendium from the Umbral Plains in the crypt of a destroyed tower of unknown construction (artifact reference PL E2M8). This "vade mecum" was mostly illegible, but it did contain one of the rare references to the Aranea Imperatrix - a mystical demon that is still largely unknown.

"When the gate is opened, in the fourth age, when we have risen and the masters have shown us the path, she will be come. A great blessing will be given to the key holder, for they will become one with the master, and in that holy union the power of the dark priest will be unleashed upon the heretics of the Penumbral Plain. The Aranea Imperatrix. Carried in the mind of all who follow, fed from the blood of those who fell, made with bone of rock, iron, steel and sinew. A mighty god to rule over all other gods. One become two become legion."

The Aranea Imperatrix (The Spider Mastermind) was an already existing entity, into which the "key holder" (Olivia) was merged. Olivia is subservient to this existing demon.

exactly, she is a host body and lost herself in the process, but i think the SM was also just a spirit and had some parts of it like the human parts and its robotic parts that were ''created'' when the merger happened

Atendega said:

The first Project Lazarus Tethering Operation (MTC 2146/351) retrieved a small compendium from the Umbral Plains in the crypt of a destroyed tower of unknown construction (artifact reference PL E2M8).

Maybe a reference to Doom's E2M8 (=>Tower of Babel)?

Could be that her being turned into Spiderdemon was her shot at proving herself to hell. When she didn't kill the Doom Slayer her soul was taken to her personal hell. Or her soul was already tucked away in hell and her body was simply used as a vessel for the Spiderdemon.