Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chubzdoomer

UT 2003, 2004 - what gives?

But what keeps them coming back? The only people that play Quake I competitively are -- get this -- competitors.

Anybody have anything to say about that game's design?

I'm not sure what you are really asking.
Quast's answer was what I would have said -- why do we play DOOM instead of UT2004? We like the game better, the gameplay, player's speed, the ease of mapmaking, etc...
cracks me up to think of the poor souls getting DOOM after liking DOOM3. :)
for years, Quake(1) has been the hallowed ground of tournament games. I think the main reason for that is because normal FPS gaming skills are not sufficient in that game. (for example, a good Q2 player can transition to UT2003 with little problem, but QW is only for the select few)
gameplay-wise it is an interesting game.. especially since the rl is so much stronger than the other weapons.
QW is the fastest game (besides arguably DOOM) and I think that is part of the attraction. I mean OOB(out of the box - sorry), not mods that cheapen these games like jawnmode, AGHL's arcade mode, or Q3A's CPMA mod.

heh, I ventured onto a few Quakeworld servers about a year back, after not having played Quake at all in ages. I got horribly mauled by the players there - seems the remaining Quake players are generally very good.

CPMA I have never played too much, but I did notice it's physics to be very QW'ish. With the U turns you can do in the air etc, Another thing which put me off it, was the developer's seemingly endless arrogance and the army of arsecrawlers he seemed to have on the forums.

Generations could use some major help though. Ugh - their weapon models aren't very good, and the player faces aren't so hot either. Like - Doom's face and the Wolf3d guy's face. Ugh.

I do have hope for it. .99e Should clean up some of the garbage, but before 1.0 is out, they need some SERIOUS pollish. It's entertaining somewhat, anyway.

footman said:

Generations Arena, a reason to toss UT, '2k3, and '2k4 in the garbage. :)

Does it have vehicles? Last I checked, no, therefore, it is not.

Onslaught is massive fun. It's the most fun I've had in a game since Doom.

mje said:

Generations could use some major help though. Ugh - their weapon models aren't very good, and the player faces aren't so hot either. Like - Doom's face and the Wolf3d guy's face. Ugh.

I do have hope for it. .99e Should clean up some of the garbage, but before 1.0 is out, they need some SERIOUS pollish. It's entertaining somewhat, anyway.

I was browsing through our referral logs and found this post.

Care to elaborate a bit? Anything we can do to make things better in GenArena is good.

In specific, which weapon models do you not like? If you're referring to the q1 guns, most of those have been re-done. If you're referring to the Doom models, we've re-positioned most of them to look 'beefier' in-game for 99e. If you're referring to animations, those are 1.0 material. ;)