Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jaska

My 12 level wad now available!

Hi

I have now uploaded my wad for testing and comments! I hope there are things that have not been seen before.

(Edit: I fixed bugs that were found and found more myself, fixed them also. Here is new link:)
https://fi.files.fm/u/nadd7pph

Original development thread:
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1593224

Maps may not be very difficult even on ultra- violence. All maps should be playable from pistol start. If you find these maps too easy maybe playing them from pistol start will help a bit. Hope these are fun to play. There are lots of secrets. Sometimes gameplay is not so clear so it may be hard to find where to find to continue. Keep your eyes open and remember where the key and keydoors are. There is loose continuity betweem maps. These were difficult to tie together. Mouselook suggested. Jumping shouldn't cause too much problems.

These are tested with JDoom & GZDoom.

The secret level exit on map03 doesn't work for some reason. Use cheat codes to get there. I'll fix it to final version. (Fixed!)
MAP11: Isn't finished at all! But can be played to the end.

Background: It all started 2012 when there was news that Wolfenstein 3D was 20 years old. I was never quite enthusiastic about wolf but it reminded me about one of my favourite game, Doom. I played shareware doom then again and thought why not make my own map. I made some maps on 1990 but unfortunately they are all gone. My computer was on repair in a computer store and they formatted the hard drive without asking. They weren't very good though. Also most of the Duke nukem maps were lost at that point. I have also made small Quake 2 and Half-life multiplayer maps. So I started making one map for doom2 in 2012. I didn't finish it and for some unknown reason I continued the map in early 2016. Then I just got new ideas for maps and here we are.

Screenshots:

Only doom2.wad is required. No other textures used. It has been kind of frustrating to notice afterwards that maps would be much better looking with custom textures but I would have to update every map then.

Some screenshots are taken with JDoom with modelpack and high resolution textures. Some with gzdoom.

I played the 1st map for quite a bit, and I have to say you did a great job. The details and gameplay were nice, but I saw a few bugs while playing it

These mid textures sink under the floor

Also this hall of mirrors can be seen at the start of the level

You probably didn't notice them because you only tested the wad on OpenGL source ports.
That's all I got for now, I haven't played the other maps yet because the first one was taking me so long to finish, but from the screenshots I'm gonna assume the are great too, but you should check if those bugs repeat on the rest of the maps

Screenshots look really great. If I were you I'd test your work in a software renderer first (like ZDoom) and then test in OpenGL later. If it looks right in there it will look right in OpenGL so long as you're not depending on software tricks for certain special effects. In other words, any basic levels made will look the same or better.

For the midtexture thing, you can change the light level between the sectors by one (so light of 192 to 191 for example) and it will fix that midtexture thing. Or add clipmidtextures to MAPINFO if you're using that.

These look fantastic! Any chance you'd consider changing the sky to something non-default?

edit: HAH just realized I posted the same comment in the first thread, my b

Gothic: Thanks!
Oh, I never thought that if level works with gzdoom it wouldn't work in zdoom. I'll fix those. Maybe as Nevander said. Bug will repeat in most of maps because I used that midtexture quite a lot. That HOM on start is because i deleted details behind the wall when the level met limits. Strange it won't occur on opengl-mode.

Glaice: Yes, I'll finish it some day.

Tango: Thanks! Maybe. It's a good idea.

Thanks for Nevander for the ClipMidTextures tip! It was easy fix. Now I don't have to edit all the maps.

I changed the sky but.. Why it shows differently in ZDoom and GZdoom?

Zdoom, mountains are ridiculously tall:

GZdoom

Not sure if this is better than the default sky? Kind of difficult to find skies.

I think this is due to the fact that the software renderer draws skies differently or something. I did find an option in the "display" menu that is called "stretch short skies" though. Try toggling it on/off and see if there are any differences?

The_Trigger said:

I think this is due to the fact that the software renderer draws skies differently or something. I did find an option in the "display" menu that is called "stretch short skies" though. Try toggling it on/off and see if there are any differences?

That worked, thanks!

I played the first two maps so far, and I'm really liking what I see. The open nature of the maps combined with the detailing in architecture made it feel like I was exploring a physical space rather than just a video game level.

Some small issues I found:
http://i.imgur.com/vS6Psg3.png carpet weirdness in software mode
http://i.imgur.com/jjasH09.png really minor: crate pictured in the bottom right has a mismatched top
http://i.imgur.com/ApBiJoq.png this happens when trying to lower the platform after raising it. had to noclip to get back
http://i.imgur.com/9UEolR9.png sneaky HOMs
Also is there not supposed to be any music? I didn't see anyone comment on it, so if it's a bug I figure it got removed accidentally in the update.

Rumia said:

Also is there not supposed to be any music? I didn't see anyone comment on it, so if it's a bug I figure it got removed accidentally in the update.

I think I've said before that wads without new music are boring, but there are times that the stock doom 2 music fits great with this kind of maps.

I played the first two maps to relax between sessions of heightened brain activity, and I must say I enjoyed it. The difficulty was just right for this (I played on UV with MP things enabled and item respawns enabled), and the spacious layouts made it pleasant too.

Some may perhaps find the monster placement too easy, but I found it nice to be able to play a long 300+ hell spawn map without having to worry at every corner*, and I didn't get bored anywhere along the way; partly also because of how the maps looked. I liked how each area looked very distinct, and this all being achieved using only vanilla resources makes it even more impressive in my book.

Because of this, I also always had a good sense of where to go next even though there was a lot to explore on the side. The only thing I didn't catch right away was that...

Spoiler

...the exit in MAP01 was near the start, and I wandered all around the map before I realized, "Hey, maybe I should try going back!".

* monsters mostly appearing at fair distance, in the next room, or generally as you backtrack rather than teleporting right on top of you as you trigger something was a nice change to what you usually get these days (or maybe I just played too many hard wads lately)

EDIT: Oh, another thing I liked (and hated at the same time:) is how you're being denied SSG until you're quite deep in the map.