Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Most Chilling Moment in Doom or Doom II?

Guest Unregistered account

I remember the maze in E1M4 - everything made me jump!
Then there's that bit at the end of E1M5 - the flickering lights. It took a while before I found the courage to go in that room. *shivers*
Also, one of my scariest moments from Doom - and one of the best in gaming history - is E1M8: Phobos Anomaly.

First off, there was the music contrast - whereas most of the p

Roughly 8:25 in. Don't know if the skip-to-time works on embedded videos. If not then try opening it in Youtube then skipping to that bit.

I will admit up-front that I'm a total wimp when it comes to video game horror. One of the several reasons I haven't finished Doom 3 (and probably the primary one, if I'm honest) is that the idea of sh*t popping out of the virtual darkness scares the crap out of me -- much more so than in real life, because I know that it's a video game so all sorts of "reality rules" can be broken if need be (I JUST LOOKED in that empty locker, but NOW there is something crawling out of it...)

Anyway, with that said, the moments that stick with me are:

1) The optional maze in E1M2 -- it's dark! It's blinky! WTF!

2) House of Pain -- looking over that entire room of impaled corpses was just riveting (and I always projected that the large collection of enemies behind you wandering around those 3 doorways were all blase about it, which was even freakier).

3) E1M7 -- I can remember being really freaked out by the guys on top of the raised computer block in the middle of the level; it took me a while to figure our where they were, so I spent a long time sprinting from corner to corner trying to "outrun" the baddies and that stupid, incessant chase sound.

4) All of E1M8 -- the music and visuals work really well together, even when you know what's going to happen.

When all of sudden the midi music goes into a feedback loop, playing only the currently playing note with ever increasing volume until it's all distorted and my mom yells what the hell is that noise!

Lutz said:

1) The optional maze in E1M2 -- it's dark! It's blinky! WTF!

Normally, the former humans' "wandering around, searching for the player" noise doesn't bother me, but in that particular area, it nearly always puts me on edge.

Maybe not the most chilling, but one that I remember very well was the start of MAP06: The Crusher. When I first heard that "aaarrghh!", I was like "What the fuck is that?", and seeing the Revenant a couple of seconds later, "Holy Shit!". Now, when Doom II came out I was 11, and my English was really, really bad, so I couldn't read the manual. As a result, I wasn't aware of the cheats. That made it really scary.

The room of made of flesh in 'Suburbs' and E1M8 are the ones that take the cake.

I got the Shareware Doom.wad with only the first episode in it. I played through all the levels, amazed by the puzzles and monsters. But then when I finished E1M7 and got to E1M8, I saw it, the Bruiser Brothers.
It took me a while to defeat them, and then the walls lowered. I saw the teleporter outta there. It kinda surprised me after that.

It was then that I wanted to know what levels would come after Episode one, so I got the full thing and I never regretted that decision.

The first time you see those demon faces in Doom 64 that open their eyes up to look at you momentarily. They have such a creepy, unearthly quality to them.