Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

prboom Issues Thread

I think PrBoom should do away with part or all of its current net code and borrow some from Chocolate Doom's, which is superior (less lag). Plus PrBoom still displays the player colors incorrectly.

entryway said:
Chocolate-Doom currently in alpha stage of that IIRC

More or less, but PrBoom's C/S isn't any more developed, and were Chocolate's used on more engines it would be tested and overseen more throughly (the coding and testing cooperation could be beneficial).

besides the rendering filters offered in prboom have you guys thought about filters commonly used in emulators ?

here are some nice ones : 2xSai, Supereagle, hq4x ? I believe they may be worth a try as they make pixelated sprites/textures look much nicer.

How do they affect performance? I have tried some of the existing software filtering options, and found that performance took a real hit, to the extent that I turned them off.

2xSai is used widely to run high resolution emulators and old games port, so I believe it's quite good. For the rest I don't really know. It also depends on how much extrapolation is needed, 2x, 3x ...

Performance isn't everything, anyway. If they're useful for making AVIs they're already worth something, even if they aren't as quick as the standard filters.

What I don't get is why no one ever fixes the weapon sprites bug. The one where they look too dark.

VinceDSS said:
the sources are here, maybe somebody could play around with it and add it to a test prboom?[/B]

PrBoom's filters *already* look and work very well. See 2.3.x branch for hicolor-render example. That code will be merged with 2.4.x soon

I believe it could still be better... the current filters still make the textures look blocky

such things always may be better of course, but...

prboom.640x480.software.hicolor.filters

If you go to map 29 of cchest2.wad and go as far forward as you can and then look northeast, there is a building across the way with some imps firing at you. It has some transparent doors (a mancubus is behind these). But if you shoot a projectile in that direction you get these bizarre optical effects on the doors. It almost acts like a mirror and shows an afterimage of the projectile and the explosion. Very weird. You can see it from both far away and close up to the doors. This is not present in 2.2.6 (only other version I checked) so it looks to be an introduced side effect or bug. I don't see anything that looks like this in the tracker so I thought I'd point this out.

Translucent textures are a Boom effect, so you need to use Boom compatibility (9<sup>*</sup>) or higher (which cchest2.wad is intended to be used with). If you try to play this map with Doom-plus, you'll see that the vanilla behaviour is being emulated pretty well. :)

------------
<small>* Edit: translucent textures are also available with "Boom compatibility" compatibility and Boom 2.01 compatibility, so make that "7 or higher". The map as a whole itself may require full Boom compatibility though.</small>

Grazza said:

Translucent textures are a Boom effect, so you need to use Boom compatibility (9<sup>*</sup>) or higher (which cchest2.wad is intended to be used with). If you try to play this map with Doom-plus, you'll see that the vanilla behaviour is being emulated pretty well. :)

------------
<small>* Edit: translucent textures are also available with "Boom compatibility" compatibility and Boom 2.01 compatibility, so make that "7 or higher". The map as a whole itself may require full Boom compatibility though.</small>

I tried compatibility levels 7, 8, and 9 and this still happens.

In that case, I'm not sure what you're referring to. Please provide a demo.

Edit: OK, I think I've found what you're referring to - it's a much more subtle problem than I thought you were describing. There's something odd about those few windows, certainly, as they don't appear at all in GL, and there is this strange effect in software rendering.

So isn't this a bug with the engine then? Should I submit a bug to the tracker? I mean, it doesn't show up on vanilla or even earlier versions of prboom. The windows are even more funky if you set the complevel to vanilla levels to which also doesn't seem right.

It's bug of prboom 2.4.3. I think depends from:

Changes from v2.4.2 to v2.4.3
- Massive speed improvements in higher resolutions taken from Eternity.
Thanks to SoM and Quasar!!!

Cheat codes don't work with the -altdeath parameter, even if playing solo. Is this intentional? They work on vanilla...

ok me and my friends keep trying to do internet death match with prboom. It works about 1/4 of the time. Every other time one of us gets kicked and it says something about a consistency error, does anyone know what causes this?

THX,
Nathan

ps sorry if this has been covered before i looked around and didnt find anything.

yeah the network code is kinda goofy... it hates packetloss even if very light. Even with pings of 80 ms I do not feel lag but it's kinda unstable... unless we use high packet duplication.

ok i thought their was a command line argument to send extra packets or something like that, but i cant find it in the windows version, oh well im putting on linux this weekend maybe i can get it working then. Thanks everybody!

Ok, this is along the lines of the Chest2 map 29 issue...I think. Anyway, if you go to the outdoor swampy area of this map with some revenants and hell nights (this is the far right side of the map when viewing the automap in prboom-plus, or the bottom of the map at the start when viewing in prboom) there is long wall that looks very HOMish. Is it supposed to be like this?? I can't actually find a port or a version of a port in which it looks ok.

Which map/wad? Are we still talking about cc2 map29? Map coordinates and more description please.

The most useful thing would be to supply a demo where you punch the air at the point(s) where you are seeing the problem.