Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kam Tovalski

Question about Zandronum and PrBoom+

Welcome.

I have used Zandronum since my first approaches in Ultimate DOOM, but there is one thing that drives me irritated. While beginning a new game I have to disallow freelook in options and then save a game. Is it possible to save it permamently?

Some recommend PrBoom+. Suppose I play wads based on classic DOOMs, do you agree with statement above? I don't complain about Zandronum, exept freelook issue.

What should I do start each level Pistol Start? I have typed so far "changemap e...m..." in D1 or "IDCLEV..." in D2, being back in 1st map.

Thank you for help and replies.

Odd, once you turn off freelook it should be saved in your INI config file so you shouldn't have to turn it off every time. That applies to every command, so I'm not sure why you're having that problem.

To change map for pistol start, I think you need to use the command "map eXmX" instead of "changemap eXmX". There are also pwads for zandronum that will do this automatically for you but I'm not sure what they are called, given I don't play single player.

As for ports, play whatever makes you happy.

6 hours ago, TOVA said:

Some recommend PrBoom+. Suppose I play wads based on classic DOOMs, do you agree with statement above? I don't complain about Zandronum, exept freelook issue.

You'll only "need" PrBoom+ if you want the original game behaviour from back in the days, in which case you'd need to also learn how to use that source port to take advantage of its complevels feature.

If you do, then yes, you're getting pretty damn close to what the game was like in the 90s, including blockmap, hitboxes and "physics". If you don't specify a complevel (if you wanna know how, we have a search function here on these forums), then you'll be playing with all features enabled, meaning the "true to the original" aspect doesn't happen.

If you don't care about the feel of OG doom, just play whatever port. If you wanna get into speedrunning there's no way around PrBoom+ however.

Each port has a set of "compatibility" flags that replicate vanilla or older port behaviours, so "original game behaviour" isn't much of an argument there.

1 minute ago, Decay said:

Each port has a set of "compatibility" flags that replicate vanilla or older port behaviours, so "original game behaviour" isn't much of an argument there.

Since when can Zandro or any other ZDoom port do vanilla hitboxes?

4 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

You'll only "need" PrBoom+ if you want the original game behaviour from back in the days, in which case you'd need to also learn how to use that source port to take advantage of its complevels feature.

If you do, then yes, you're getting pretty damn close to what the game was like in the 90s, including blockmap, hitboxes and "physics". If you don't specify a complevel (if you wanna know how, we have a search function here on these forums), then you'll be playing with all features enabled, meaning the "true to the original" aspect doesn't happen.

If you don't care about the feel of OG doom, just play whatever port. If you wanna get into speedrunning there's no way around PrBoom+ however.

Can you tell me more about Pr's complevels or link some article/thread that I could get to know myself?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the hitboxes (barring the mastermind, which was reduced to 112 units vs 128 in zdoom ages ago but there is a compatibility flag for this now) changed at all. There's a different hit registration with the fist I think but that's about it? Are you possibly referring to blockmap?

3 minutes ago, TOVA said:

Can you tell me more about Pr's complevels or link some article/thread that I could get to know myself?

I hinted at the search function for a reason.

Doomwiki: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/PrBoom

DoomWorld (comprehensive):

4 minutes ago, Decay said:

There's a different hit registration with the fist I think but that's about it? Are you possibly referring to blockmap?

I mean ZDoom's actual hitboxes. Not so much the range of the fist. The blockmap wasn't what I meant when I refered to hitboxes, but I'm aware the blockmap bug has also been fixed in the ZDoom family (unless I got something wrong).

As far as I know the vanilla hitboxes are basically cross-shaped, and pass through the center of a thing, and ZDoom hitboxes are different in that they're located at the sides of a thing (where it is more intuitive). And I don't think I've seen a flag to disable these hitboxes, but that might be on me entirely.

15 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I hinted at the search function for a reason.

Doomwiki: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/PrBoom

I have already checked it out.

Can I use parameter "2" for every wad or use specified if I play, e.g. Ultimate DOOM and other one while playing D2 or FD ?

I am just not sure yet and sorry if it may look like dumb.

You're close to correct, but to help a bit further:

-complevel 2 for doom 2

-complevel 3 for ultimate doom (heh thanks)

-complevel 4 for final doom

-complevel 9 for boom

-complevel 11 for MBF

These are the main, relevant complevels and what they are used for. Reason being is that each of the versions of the engine each of the iwads was released with had slightly different behavior from one-another that causes them to not play well together due to the limited amount of data stored for playback or to keep clients in sync, such as with demos or multiplayer. In many cases, maps are also designed with those specific behaviors inherent to the format/complevel that they are designed for in mind; other complevel/engine behaviors can break some maps, hard/softlock the player, prevent triggers from working properly, etc.

The rule of thumb for vanilla and limit-removing pwads between complevels 2, 3, and 4 is to just use the one that corresponds to the iwad the pwad was designed for.

Edited by Fonze

3 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

but I'm aware the blockmap bug has also been fixed in the ZDoom family (unless I got something wrong).

Yes, and the fix is enabled by default, but the bug can be toggled on/off, and it's part of the Doom (Strict) Presets (I think Boom too?).