Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dark Pulse

A notable image from (possibly) the final chapter of Berserk.

al4b1zdmv5m71.jpg

In short... don't hold your breath for it continuing, at least anytime soon.

I do think that if enough people who worked with him had an idea of what he wanted to do with it and where he wanted to go with it, it just might -might - be finished. But I also think that unless those people are very confident in Miura's thoughts and what he wanted, if there's even the slightest doubt, then that's it. That's how it ends - on a non-ending, but one that leaves its reputation and legacy fully intact rather than risking a substandard resolution for the sake of having one.

Japan is a very conservative place when it comes to a creator or a performer. Voice acting roles are very rarely recast if the original performer is alive and well, especially for a hugely popular franchise, unless something happened like they got brought down by scandal, or - occasionally - the actor's demise where the character is so important to the plot that there's no choice (the recent recast of Bulma in Dragon Ball comes to mind). Sometimes rather than recast the role, they will reduce them to background characters instead (The Simpsons did this in the west for some characters, for example), or possibly reuse old lines (South Park did this for Isaac Hayes as Chef in his final episode).

I think everyone would be disappointed if that's how it ends - just abruptly like this - but I think at the same time, most would respect that and understand. This is not just some run-of-the-mill story, this is fucking BERSERK. Unless you're super-damn-sure of what he wanted, easily the best call to make is to just say "We're sorry, but this is simply how it ends."

But I also think there's some pretty unique pressure to continue it. But it's definitely going to be a tall order, even if they collaborated with Miura and even if they knew him extremely well. After all, a continuation means living up to not only 364 previous chapters, but to be so good as to not tarnish all the work that came before it, or worse, come off as accidentally insulting to it.

Feel free to leave your thoughts here.

I don't know how they even could continue it at this point. Berserk was Miura, to the point where he drew nearly everything himself for the entire run of the manga. I don't know if any team of creators could not only replicate the art and the writing, but the themes and the willingness to rip the reader's heart out. 

I actually believe if there's anyone who is truly passionate about bringing this story to a conclusion that feels right for it and would be true to Miura, I think they should make the attempt. 

But leaving it as it is is okay in way too. A story doesn't need an ending to matter, and besides, one can always imagine their own version of what happens, and that, will always at least be better than a conclusion born only from obligation. Creating a story should never be out of obligation. 

As much as I'd love to see berserk get continued; I really just can't see anything good about it continuing, especially after miura's passing. It would just feel forced, and I'd rather have berserk end on a bittersweet note, instead of pandering to a vocal group of fans and possibly making the end of bersek half-baked. But this is just my opinion.

Only time will tell, this basically means the story is still in a cliffhanger, the last word comes from Hakusensha since theyre the ones that basically own the rights now.

It is difficult to know if the series will be continued. Berserk is a unique work, not only in the sense of quality, but the fact that it possesses a palpable personality, a sense of identity conveyed by Miura's fascinating art and brilliant storytelling ability, to such an extent that when you ask if there are manga/anime like Berserk out there, only a handful can compare in the fantasy/adventure genre.

Aside from that, there's the fact that, as far as we know with the info that has been given, Miura was nowhere near finishing the series. The current arc he was left with, he said that the story so far was barely half done (or 65% I think were his exact words) so the chances of it being finished without the necessary story notes are pretty much zero.

On the other hand, even if we never see the end of the series, I think the last arc works, in its own way, as a sort of quiet conclusion. After all, we've never seen Guts so ''satisfied and happy'' before.

2bd2d79e29fcd907923c847a426f0d5d.png