Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Next-Gen Pricing

Even though they assume a lot, CNN Money offers a look into the potential costs of keeping up to pace on the technology hike coming with the release of the next-gen systems. Are your PCs looking better now? My answer to that is yes. Admittedly, though, a lot of the price hiking is legitimate to some extent, considering the cost of console components and the amount of development time required to produce an acceptable game for these systems.

Hmm...that seems like a silly jump to conclusions there. YOu don't NEED an HDTV, and getting surround sound seems rather frivolous.

Still, I've heard rumors that Nintendo has been having trouble with third party companies. They don't want to develop for the console because Nintendo pays very little. Nintendo may up the amount it pays these companies to attract more business, transferring the price into the game which could make the games cost as much as double from what I heard. Knowing Nintendo though they don't seem to NEED any 3rd party developers seeing as how their best selling titles are their own, but I heard this may also be true for the other companies.

If they start charging $100 per game, will people still buy them?

Danarchy said:

Two words: soft mod.

Danarchy said:

I won't, but then again, I rarely buy games at full price anyway. However, if NRev titles are really going to be that much, I can't see many people buying one, especially if the other consoles will have games at about $60.

Danarchy said:

Say what?

Soft mod. Any system with a harddrive, the Xbox for example, can be soft modded by tinkering with, or entirely replacing OS so that it recognizes burned games.

i have seen bad gaming prices, back in the N64 days. i remeber seeing a number of games in the range of $65-$85. including doom64, however chances are good that was the store.

if games cost more that $45 i ussally wait.

Cartridge games are inherently more expensive due to manufacturing costs.

Someone told me that Final Fantasy 6 cost over $100 when it came out. Is that true?

High-priced games are nothing new, even in the realm of games that aren't particularly famous, high-production, or rare. I remember seeing NES games for $60, Gameboy games for $45, and the mother of all consoles: Neo-Geo games for $150. The console itself retailed at $600.

And it didn't even do 3D.

Scuba Steve said:

I dunno about FF6, but I believe Phantasy Star 4 was like $80-100.

P-Star was $80 when it came out. I remember seeing it for that much at this store (that doesn't exist anymore) called Venture.