Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Contmotore

A few question regarding Vanilla editing.

Question

A few question regarding Vanilla editing:

• I've been testing my maps through Dosbox using the Vanilla engine, but can I safely assume if it works with Chocolate Doom it also works with Vanilla Doom?
  • Is there a big difference between The Ultimate Doom and the original first Doom when it comes to editing?
  • For my first map I want to start as much as possible with the basics and therefore I'm using the original (Ultimate)Doom.wad first, but because of a lack of textures I'm considering using Doom2 instead. Besides new weapons/monsters/textures etc. are there major differences between the two games when it comes to editing?

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Contmotore said:

can I safely assume if it works with Chocolate Doom it also works with Vanilla Doom?

Probably, but not absolutely. There are still obscure edge cases that will crash Chocolate but work in vanilla. It's best to ignore the possibility of these unless you receive complaints about them.

1 hour ago, Contmotore said:

Besides new weapons/monsters/textures etc. are there major differences between the two games when it comes to editing?

Doom 2 is usually considered a "superset" of Doom 1 in that it includes all the enemies and weapons of the original, and then some. There are a handful of Doom 1 textures that were removed from Doom 2 but basically everything else functions equally well in Doom 2, except for stuff like the episodic structure of the game.

10 hours ago, Linguica said:

There are still obscure edge cases that will crash Chocolate but work in vanilla.

So, anything that works in Chocolate will work in Vanilla. 💁🏻‍♀️

Is it vice-versa anywhere? (Where something works in Chocolate but not Vanilla.)

That's the idea. It's not impossible there are exceptions where something will work in Choco and not in vanilla, but those will have to be weird edge cases, which should be reported on the Chocolate Doom issue tracker on GitHub.

Vanilla can crash when doing a savegame with too many things in the map, but saving in Chocolate will work (by design, it is not an edge case).  This is something to carefully consider when truly targetting the vanilla DOOM engine.

On 1/16/2020 at 8:50 PM, Contmotore said:
  • Is there a big difference between The Ultimate Doom and the original first Doom when it comes to editing?

No. The main difference between DooM and The Ultimate DooM is the addition of a fourth episode in the latter. If I understand things correctly, no additional resources were added to TUD, just maps. Therefore, there is no difference when it comes to editing them.

Hmm, this is weird... I just tested my wad file with Chocolate Doom, I hear the E1M1 music, but then it crashes. No error message, nothing. The program just stops. Then I tested it with vanilla Doom trough DOSBox and it works just fine. Works also fine in GZDoom and Crispy Doom.

Edit:

Tested some of my older backups and noticed that the backups in which I had deleted my unused Flats weren't working anymore in Chocolate Doom. So, I decided to copy/paste my whole map into a new wad file and added my used Flats again. Now my wad is working again...

Spoiler

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Contmotore : Update about this issue

2 hours ago, ReX said:

No. The main difference between DooM and The Ultimate DooM is the addition of a fourth episode in the latter. If I understand things correctly, no additional resources were added to TUD, just maps.

I believe the orange skybox is an Ultimate original.

5 hours ago, Muscle Witch said:

I believe the orange skybox is an Ultimate original.

You are absolutely correct. How the heck could I have forgotten that?

On 1/17/2020 at 11:02 PM, andrewj said:

Vanilla can crash when doing a savegame with too many things in the map, but saving in Chocolate will work (by design, it is not an edge case).  This is something to carefully consider when truly targetting the vanilla DOOM engine.

Although it is possible to configure Chocolate to crash in the event of a save game buffer overflow (due to too many things present at the time the save is attempted @Contmotore, in case you were unfamiliar). So Chocolate can emulate that particular vanilla behavior, and I think it is set to do so by default. I think it is also, by default, set to emulate the vanilla demo limit.