Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fabian

This is Woof! 14.3.0 (Mar 15, 2024)

1 hour ago, No-Man Baugh said:

Just did all that, even did a fresh "git clone" for woof, and I still get the same errors

Hmm, all I can say is that it works in our GitHub CI. I hope someone with macOS can help.

23 minutes ago, NutSydBrods said:

how to play SC-55 music packs (32bit)?

Put them in autoload folder. E.g. woof/autoload/doom.wad/doom_sc55_ogg.zip

I did try that but then 

18 minutes ago, VoanHead said:

Uhh, maybe try VirtualMidiSynth? It's what I use to listen and test other soundfonts.

speaking of soundfonts which of them replicates the hardware (either sc-55 or mkii)?

Just now, NutSydBrods said:

I did try that but then 

speaking of soundfonts which of them replicates the hardware (sc-55 not mkii)?

I honestly can't give a clear answer for that one, I mostly stick to the SC-55 Emperor Grieferus version which ik doesn't replicate it, but it's good enough for me.

17 minutes ago, rfomin said:

Hmm, all I can say is that it works in our GitHub CI. I hope someone with macOS can help.

I made it work, just had to change the directory to where brew installs openal-soft:

if(APPLE)
  set(ENV{PKG_CONFIG_PATH} "/opt/homebrew/Cellar/openal-soft/1.23.1/lib/pkgconfig")
endif()

All's working well, glad we got a manual frame limiter so that I don't have to deal with a burning laptop on me as it's using all it's power rendering frames I'm not using

5 minutes ago, VoanHead said:

I honestly can't give a clear answer for that one, I mostly stick to the SC-55 Emperor Grieferus version which ik doesn't replicate it, but it's good enough for me.

yeah did use that and it's good. cannot wait for EmuSC.

I found a bug with markings in the map, they cannot be placed anywhere, they are placed only in the place where the player is, regardless of the mode.
I use latest version btw.

With "regardless of the mode" I assume you mean follow mode, right? There is a switch in the menu to decide if the player or the map center coordinates are relevant. It's called "Coords follow pointer" in the Automap menu. Could you please check if this fixes the issue for you? 

3 hours ago, fabian said:

With "regardless of the mode" I assume you mean follow mode, right? There is a switch in the menu to decide if the player or the map center coordinates are relevant. It's called "Coords follow pointer" in the Automap menu. Could you please check if this fixes the issue for you? 

Yes, follow mode.

Nope, unfortunately, it doesn't fix that.

I remember in previous versions it worked as intended, but somehow it broke.

13 hours ago, Vanilla+Unicorn said:

Yes, follow mode.

Nope, unfortunately, it doesn't fix that.

I remember in previous versions it worked as intended, but somehow it broke.

Some time ago it worked differently in follow mode depending on overlay mode. However, this was identified as inconsistent. Maybe that's what you are missing now. 

13 minutes ago, fabian said:

Some time ago it worked differently in follow mode depending on overlay mode. However, this was identified as inconsistent. Maybe that's what you are missing now.  

I apologize if I am not writing clearly, as I am not a native speaker.
Sounds strange, because in the vanilla version of the game you can put tags anywhere if you turn off Follow Mode, I mean, tags on the M key, not the most common feature, but you occasionally have to use it on maps.

On 6/10/2023 at 1:53 AM, Legatron17 said:

I've tried using Odamex but I don't really like it. It doesn't feel smooth and seems to handle network traffic rather poorly, because the server I was setting up just wouldn't stop lagging, at least in my experience.

Your other reasons aside, I'd like to explore this. Odamex has hosted competitive leagues with players from a high level across four continents simultaneously. It's also hosted events with dozens (even hundreds) of players in the same server. What issues were you having that would indicate it handles network traffic "rather poorly?" The overwhelming majority of users have never said anything of the sort.

A few things to report, maybe you're aware of them or there's some reason for them:
- "Improved Hit Detection" increases the size of the Spider Mastermind, possibly other monsters. Noticed in dib2627.wad, where the start is now impossible since you have to squeeze past a mastermind.
- "Weapon Attack Alignment" isn't affected by Strict Mode, despite becoming greyed out. No idea if this affects demo recording or playback.
- Some sector moving effects look glitchy with uncapped framerate, you can see it at the start of Eviternity map 25 as you descend into the arena, the whole area around you flickers violently. I think it's only Boom generalized lines that appear glitchy. Even if I set the framerate limit to 35 or enable vsync, it appears as long as uncapped framerate is turned on.

5 hours ago, punch you in the face man said:

- "Improved Hit Detection" increases the size of the Spider Mastermind, possibly other monsters. Noticed in dib2627.wad, where the start is now impossible since you have to squeeze past a mastermind.

Yes, that's very much the point in "Improved Hit Detection". Monsters are now as big as their radius suggests and are thus able to span across multiple blockmap cells.

- "Weapon Attack Alignment" isn't affected by Strict Mode, despite becoming greyed out. No idea if this affects demo recording or playback.

Yes, there is probably a `STRICTMODE()` check missing here:

--- a/src/p_pspr.c
+++ b/src/p_pspr.c
@@ -1115,7 +1115,7 @@ void P_MovePsprites(player_t *player)
       psp->sy2 -= (last_sy - WEAPONTOP);
     }
   }
-  else if (psp->state && (cosmetic_bobbing == BOBBING_75 || center_weapon || uncapped))
+  else if (psp->state && (cosmetic_bobbing == BOBBING_75 || STRICTMODE(center_weapon) || uncapped))
   {
     // [FG] don't center during lowering and raising states
     if (psp->state->misc1 || player->switching)

This makes me wonder, is it allowed to modify the bobbing amplitude in strict mode? @dsda-dev @rfomin

- Some sector moving effects look glitchy with uncapped framerate, you can see it at the start of Eviternity map 25 as you descend into the arena, the whole area around you flickers

violently. I think it's only Boom generalized lines that appear glitchy. Even if I set the framerate limit to 35 or enable vsync, it appears as long as uncapped framerate is turned on.

I cannot reproduce this. Could you post a screenshot and mark the area that you find flickering?

It doesn't show up in screenshots, so here are some videos where I noticed it happening.
https://streamable.com/455l5q
This one is Eviternity map24, the sectors affected also use line 242 to create an invisible surface.

https://streamable.com/82dq8l
This one is bauhaus.wad map02, again line 242 is used but this time with a simple S1 door open stay, so I don't think generalized lines cause this but rather having two line actions affect a sector at the same time.
I also noticed this effect happen in sectors where the floor and ceiling move simultaneously, as in two lines with the same tag but different actions are activated at the same time. I tried making a test map to show this but couldn't get any consistent results. In the wad below the floor appears glitched while the ceiling is fine. Curiously, If I swap the line actions of the two lines the player backs up into, then the opposite happens and the ceiling becomes glitched. No idea.
wooftest.zip

3 hours ago, fabian said:

This makes me wonder, is it allowed to modify the bobbing amplitude in strict mode?

You can disable bobbing completely while in strict mode. It's for people that feel sick with the doom bobbing on.

Here's a zip with my cfg and a demo on the wooftest.wad I uploaded earlier, all I do is walk backwards and it produces that glitched effect on the floor as it moves.

punchwooftest.zip
Also I made my brother test Eviternity map25 and he got the same bug, so it's not just something with my computer/monitor. He's using Windows 10 64 bit Woof 11.0.0.

This glitch sounds like something a friend and I encountered on Ancient Aliens Map24; at least one of the lifts in said map flickers when it moves with uncapped framerate. I'll try to provide more details later.

Here's a zip with my cfg and a demo on the wooftest.wad I uploaded earlier, all I do is walk backwards and it produces that glitched effect on the floor as it moves.

Thanks for the test and demo, we've fixed it.

He's using Windows 10 64 bit Woof 11.0.0.

Strange, this error should occur starting with Woof 11.2.0.

38 minutes ago, rfomin said:

Strange, this error should occur starting with Woof 11.2.0.

Well, we fixed this in 11.2.0, but the fix was incomplete. The bug was there even earlier, though. Not? 

5 minutes ago, fabian said:

The bug was there even earlier, though. Not?

Not sure, maybe there is an unrelated bug.

Funny, I never would've known because I am one of those lunatics who caps their FPS at the default 35.

Wow, very cool source port! I will definitely be using this from now on, as it's a great way to play boom wads in multiplayer to do tricks like glides and keybumps and whatnot. It's a bit esoteric, but it would be pretty cool/funny if it were possible to set a -speed for slowmotion in multiplayer lol. Also, an option an enable cheats in multiplayer would be pretty nice, especially resurrect...

One small thing I've noticed is that the wrong music plays on certain maps. For example, pl2 map27 will play the stock Plutonia map27 music (unless pl2.deh is also loaded), though most of the other custom tracks seem to play fine. Crispy Doom, or any other port I've ever used, doesn't have that issue.

3 hours ago, odysseyofnoises said:

One small thing I've noticed is that the wrong music plays on certain maps. For example, pl2 map27 will play the stock Plutonia map27 music (unless pl2.deh is also loaded), though most of the other custom tracks seem to play fine.

Thanks for the bug report, it will be fixed in the next version.