Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redneckerz

(Dread not dead, now Grind and with source) Dread - A Doom clone for Amiga 500 and... Atari ST/STE.

Update time: Dread is not dead, but in comes the Grind!

DREAD Patreon is ending... and long live GRIND!

Plus: Source code! - https://github.com/Krzysiek-K/Dread-source-drop

Due to certain obligations I have now, from now I must work on Dread alone ("solo") and it must be a strictly non-commercial (not monetized) project. Hence, I'm putting this Patreon page on hold (you will not be charged again) and I'm forced to thank John Tsakiris ("Tsak") for his help.

But John is not going to give up quickly on this vision.
Instead, welcome project Grind!

From now on, I'm passing all Dread code and stuff to John, who will be working further towards our initial vision, but under a different name - Grind. And since you will never be charged again for Dread Patreon, please really consider moving to the John's Patreon of Grind - he really needs your support now!

---> https://www.patreon.com/Grind_Amiga  <---

And while you support Grind, I will work solo on Dread engine and game as much as  my new obligations allow me.

Wish us luck! :)

Due to certain obligations I have now, from now I must work on Dread alone ("solo") and it must be a strictly non-commercial (not monetized) project. Hence, I'm putting this Patreon page on hold (you will not be charged again) and I'm forced to thank John Tsakiris ("Tsak") for his help.

But John is not going to give up quickly on this vision.
Instead, welcome project Grind!

From now on, I'm passing all Dread code and stuff to John, who will be working further towards our initial vision, but under a different name - Grind. And since you will never be charged again for Dread Patreon, please really consider moving to the John's Patreon of Grind - he really needs your support now!

---> https://www.patreon.com/Grind_Amiga  <---

And while you support Grind, I will work solo on Dread engine and game as much as  my new obligations allow me.

Wish us luck! :)

And from @tsak:

Hi guys, I'm John Tsakiris from Pixelglass (aka Tsak) and I've been working the past few years alongside Krzysztof Kluczek (aka KK/Altair) on Dread: a retro - first person shooter for Amiga 500 and Atari ST! I've been responsible for the current looks of the game as well as helping with the game's level design, sfx, music and gameplay.

Enter project 'Grind':

By becoming a Patron you'll be funding me to create the best (I possibly can) visuals, audio and gameplay content needed, in order for 'Grind' to become a complete, well polished, Dread-engine powered game, with a story, level progression, unique weapons, looks and gameplay mechanics. The whole work I'll be doing will be a direct continuation of what we had planned with KK for a complete game (in regards to assets and content needed), while on the technical side the game will make use of whatever features are (or become) publicly available with the engine, as it's developed by KK.

As well as working on this goal, I will also try to continue supporting SDK releases (in the form of contributions or seperate asset packs), whenever I've got stuff that are share-worthy, or if there's a special request from the community. Also worth mentioning is that I plan to keep the totality of the public assets as they are and freely accessible to our map makers and contributors.

Finally, in regards to Patrons coming from KK's page, it should be noted that second tiers and above will keep having access to new Patron exclusive executables (mostly focused on the new game moving forwards), plus all Patron exclusive Discord channels will be moved to a new 'Grind' dedicated server (feel free to join!) https://discord.gg/QXGQbkRCxN

With these closing words, I'd like to give a huge and sincere THANKS to everybody that has supported the project! This (already) feels it has been a dream come true really! Extra shoutouts and respect to all the wonderful Patrons for their own support so far, as well as our amazing Discord community (with all it's talented and creative people)!

3 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

It looks less like Blood and more like the lovechild of Quake and The Chaos Engine! :o

Or Darkmere ;)
The reference to Blood was more in regards to level design (and tone). Less incoherent mazes and more like actual lived-in locations, loads of decals usage, visual storytelling etc. As for the tone and besides visuals, the whole atmosphere will come a lot to life once music is also added and the sfx engine is augmented to also spit out enemy non-combat sounds and growls and environmental/ambient sounds.

2 hours ago, tsak said:

Hey guys, after a long time here are some fresh news!

The (now named) 'Grind' project is going strong and has finally reached its visual goals departing from the old FreeDoom looks! Set now in a dark and foreboding Steampunk/Lovecraftian world and with high quality pixel art and design (textures, objects, weapon sprites, HUD, protagonist etc.)! 
Besides visuals there has also been a shift in regards to level design with the game taking a turn towards Build-engine classics like Blood!

Here's some video footage from the latest build:

Still a long way to go. Many features are still missing (like in-game music) and there's even more polishing planned (enemies, sfx, adding secondary weapon attacks etc). Enjoy! ;)

-Support Grind on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/Grind_Amiga
-Visit Grind's Pixelglass page: https://pixelglass.org/#grind
-Join Grind's Discord server: https://discord.gg/QXGQbkRCxN

Looks absolutely lovely, and for Amiga, Atari ST and Megadrive, or so i read! Pretty effin' rad, it looks very cool.

Looks awesome! It might even challenge my slobber-mouthed loyalty to Breathless. I'm assuming it will play on A500 Mini? I'm just waiting to buy some speakers for it. Or maybe I'll fire up Amiga Forever. One way or another, I'm going to give this a whirl. :)

9 hours ago, Steve D said:

I'm assuming it will play on A500 Mini? 

Well, it should. People have already managed to run on it older Dread maps.

Hello. Just dropped by to say that the new atmosphere you gave to this game is really captivating.

Even if it's a completely different genre, it sort of looks like if Thief The Dark Project had been made with a good sprite-based engine instead of that crap of a 3D thing they used (I'm a fan of the Thief series, but I always thought that the first two games had very poor graphics, and they were bugged as hell... I remember wishing the guys at Looking Glass had gone with the same engine they used for System Shock, but whatever).

Anyway, this game gives me those same kind of Victorian-dark / steampunk vibes, but with guns. And I'm liking it a lot. 

Really cool atmosphere for a retro FPS. I never owned an Amiga machine, so I don't know if I will ever be able to play this and how, but it's a great project indeed, and I'm really happy for it. Keep up the good work!! 

Wait, this thing's coming out for Megadrive? I need it so hard I can't even make a joke about it. The hardness consumes me.

2 hours ago, Jayextee said:

Wait, this thing's coming out for Megadrive? I need it so hard I can't even make a joke about it. The hardness consumes me.

if the hardness consumes you for more than 48 hours seek urgent medical attention

News time! The brand new Chaingun design is now also added :)

Chaingun-Remake.gif.40dadbe449bfffa85437a153a860791f.gif

Missile launcher is coming next! ;)

anyone think this should have a nice, catchy soundtrack to bang your head to while blasting away your foes?

(btw anybody think the status bar face has a quake-like style to it? it looks very fitting.)

Edited by Mr795

i might actually make an amiga chiptune for the title-screen if i can find an amiga music software (just seen talk about a megadrive version so i might as well do that if i actually make the music, though the megadrive version might be a little bit different like a remix)

(though i might need to get use an emulator if there's no amiga music makers for windows.)

(i made it, but it isn't really Chiptune like, all 3 versions of it are in this zip, the pre-conversion file is Grind through the pain (1).mp3, the original longer version has the same title but without the "(1)", i couldnt use the longer version because it was cutting off, i converted the current version with OpenMPT.)

(i made a much better version that's more ominous, i think it would match the theme of grind. Keep in mind this version is for amiga only.)

G_TITLE.zip

(by the way i have a pain and death sound from the first version of freedoom from 2003, i think both of the sounds would fit very well with the style of the status bar face. They aren't made by me just to let you know.)

Pain&Deth.zip

Edited by Mr795

11 hours ago, Mr795 said:

(btw anybody think the status bar face has a quake-like style to it? it looks very fitting.)

Yup, that's because the face is inspired by Quake indeed ;)

11 hours ago, Mr795 said:

anyone think this should have a nice, catchy soundtrack to bang your head to while blasting away your foes?

Music is one of the biggest priorities I have at the moment. But the engine lacks music support unfortunately (for the Amiga version, the ST one already has music). Hopefully this will be also added at some point eventually.

10 hours ago, Mr795 said:

i might actually make an amiga chiptune for the title-screen if i can find an amiga music software (just seen talk about a megadrive version so i might as well do that if i actually make the music, though the megadrive version might be a little bit different like a remix)

(though i might need to get use an emulator if there's no amiga music makers for windows.)

(i made it, but it isn't really Chiptune like, all 3 versions of it are in this zip, the pre-conversion file is Grind through the pain (1).mp3, the original longer version has the same title but without the "(1)", i couldnt use the longer version because it was cutting off, i converted the current version with OpenMPT.)

(i made a much better version that's more ominous, i think it would match the theme of grind. Keep in mind this version is for amiga only.)

G_TITLE.zip

Hey, thanks a lot! :D

Paula (Amiga's music chip) is capable of much, much more though, so I would prefer if the OST for the game stays away from chiptunes or even sounding too much like standard, old-school pc midi music. In fact I have already started working on some tracks. You can check from the video below the style I'm currently experimenting with. This is a mockup intro for old Dread, the track included is a real Amiga mod I made and chances are I'll use this for Grind's intro. This track is still draft and will be polished and expanded further but you can already hear the sound quality, instruments and composition I'm going for with it. 

Other than that I'm on the lookout in regards to music for the Mega Drive (I don't really have any experience working with it) but I'd probably like to wait until the Amiga OST is first prepared so the two stay relevant. Unless I get some very high quality proposal I like in the mean time ;)