DOOM0008.png.54dbff28e6bfb8193ef7a2ef5ac1ca7e.png

DOOM0009.png.eabbc7dbe8803b2a623b4c196346cbc4.png

DOOM0010.png.39a104592a60a6139809c0650a5b81a7.png

DOOM0012.png.d964568afedec975d18fc4e18467ecfd.png

DOOM0001.png.9568e46689872dd8dc666e668239049b.png

DOOM0003.png.823870d2c0807dedcfe71635084b1cee.png

DOOM0015.png.c2a5a7afbe48edaf2e30352772da7bb7.png

DOOM0016.png.94916ae80c85bd51a9a4ea6d24bef809.png

Here's a little thing I've been working on for the past month. Cygnus is a mini-episode for limit-removing source ports. For this one, I experimented with making level designs that were a bit more abstract than what I usually make. It also features lot of TEKWALL. It starts off rather easy but gets harder from there. The last two levels are akin to Hell Revealed and Alien Vendetta in terms of difficulty. I hope you enjoy it.

Technical info:

*IWAD: DOOM2

*Compatibility: Limit-removing

*Separate difficulties are implemented

*Each map can be pistol started

*Testing was done almost exclusively with Crispy Doom, so it should work fine with other limit-removing source ports

Special thanks to:

*Jimmy for the midis

*Mechadon for the sky texture

Download link: CYGNUS.rar

Edited by E.M.

I played up to level five as there is one issue that is sticking out to me too much, scale. The environments are gigantic compared to not only the player size but also the enemy size. Having such large open areas trivializes combat encounters as a player can simply circle strafe around entire clusters of monsters. Fixing this would require to rebuild all the levels so do what you think is best for you.

Fun maps, some of the traps/encounters felt a bit crude and often encouraged door camping too much. But overall this was good enough, to keep me hooked and entertained till the end. Some FDA's if you care cygnus_tnQ.zip

A brilliant set of maps but I didn't finish it due to fear of chocolate doom potentially crashing.

Map 04 could do with some extra health and ammo, especially since you have to deal with quite a good few hell knights and at least 3 archviles.

This wad is almost vanilla compatible but I noticed a medusa error and I didn't want chocolate doom to crash to I stopped playing once I found it (I know I'm a pansy about a bug. :S).

CygnusMedusa.jpg.e99621c688de7c406b6364a1bccd9a5d.jpg

The texture here that I'm guessing is some sort of fence is broken.

8 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

A brilliant set of maps but I didn't finish it due to fear of chocolate doom potentially crashing.

Map 04 could do with some extra health and ammo, especially since you have to deal with quite a good few hell knights and at least 3 archviles.

This wad is almost vanilla compatible but I noticed a medusa error and I didn't want chocolate doom to crash to I stopped playing once I found it (I know I'm a pansy about a bug. :S).

CygnusMedusa.jpg.e99621c688de7c406b6364a1bccd9a5d.jpg

The texture here that I'm guessing is some sort of fence is broken.

That was the exact same part that gave me problems when I was testing it out. Eventually I just said "Fuck it" and I turned it into a limit-removing project.

18 hours ago, Denim Destroyer said:

I played up to level five as there is one issue that is sticking out to me too much, scale. The environments are gigantic compared to not only the player size but also the enemy size. Having such large open areas trivializes combat encounters as a player can simply circle strafe around entire clusters of monsters. Fixing this would require to rebuild all the levels so do what you think is best for you.

Creating large, open environments is just a force of habit for me. I'll try to include more close quarters combat in any future projects I make.

The issue isn't close quarters combat but just the size of the environments. Every area is much bigger than necessary for the type of levels you created, I looked in Doom Builder and saw that the last two maps are better about this. People who are new to mapping tend to have a issue with sense of scale, know I did.

3 hours ago, Denim Destroyer said:

The issue isn't close quarters combat but just the size of the environments. Every area is much bigger than necessary for the type of levels you created, I looked in Doom Builder and saw that the last two maps are better about this. People who are new to mapping tend to have a issue with sense of scale, know I did.

But they're not bad environments! Enlarging the enemy population seems to be all they need to use that potential.

28 minutes ago, Philnemba said:

Honestly thought this was a fan sequel to Cygnus IV

Yeah, I should have added a disclaimer that this has no relation to Cygnus IV by John Bye.

4 hours ago, Denim Destroyer said:

4 hours ago, Spowmtom said:

But they're not bad environments! Enlarging the enemy population seems to be all they need to use that potential.

You both have valid points. I could have either made the rooms smaller or added more monsters.