Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoXion

Exploring old shovelware CDs - need help with .bin files

So for after taking a look at Maximum Doom, I've developed a taste for rooting around in these things. The janky designs and primitive layouts that I encounter make me feel oddly nostalgic for a time that, as someone who was over a decade late to the classic Doom party, I never experienced.

However, in beginning my explorations of the CD collection at archive.org, I've encountered an issue. I assume that the .bin files are disc images, but Windows 10 only recognises .iso files. I'm guessing I'll have to download third-party software to mount the .bin files, but it's been a while so I have no idea what's good and what's trash in terms of free software for this purpose. What does Doomworld recommend?

Back in the days when I regularly needed to read disc images I always used Daemon tools, but that's a really long time ago, so I don't know how riddled with ads it is today. 

I have a vague memory of being able to read them in Winrar as well. 

Daemon Tools Lite is indeed recommended; its one of those you need to watch EACH STEP of what the installer is doing very carefully though. You absolutely cannot click through it; be sure to customise the install, and un-check all the other crap it will attempt to install.

If you can make it through the scary installer, though, its a useful tool.

Maybe this plugin for 7zip will help?

My new plugin for 7Zip: Iso7z.
7-Zip with Iso7z can quickly extract files from a NRG, MDS/MDF, CUE/BIN, ISZ disc image without mounting it.

https://sourceforge.net/p/sevenzip/discussion/45797/thread/38fb8079/?limit=25

I've been using WinRAR for as long as I can remember, but version 5.40 which I'm using, which granted is 4 years out of date, does not seem to have .bin support.

I'd recommend using WinCDEmu. It hasn't been updated for a long time, but it works flawlessly, easy and simple to use.

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone. I've decided to go with WinCDEmu; this dead simple, free to download open-source software with no advertisements ticks all the boxes for me.

The Shovelware Cinematic Universe awaits me!

Speaking of, I've been trying to run the three versions of H!Zone available from archive.org, and they've all given me the same error: "Runtime error 005 at 0000:45E9." Does anyone have any advice?