Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LateNightPerson

DOOM: RAGING ANARCHY - An Ultimate Doom megawad (OUT NOW!)

UPDATE 18:

My computer broke again, so the wad is being delayed until further notice. I did make lots of progress in E4M7, a DM map where players run around a small section of a town and kill each other. Expect a screenshot once my computer is fixed.

9 hours ago, LateNightPerson said:

UPDATE 18:

My computer broke again, so the wad is being delayed until further notice. I did make lots of progress in E4M7, a DM map where players run around a small section of a town and kill each other. Expect a screenshot once my computer is fixed. 

I really liked the Episode 1 demo. Exactly the kind of megawad I enjoy. If you're going to be delayed on the multiplayer, maybe you could release the full 3 single player episodes? It'll be good to have more people play them, because it can help bug test for the final version. 100+ players will find more bugs and quirks than 5. I often play Doom with the original 3 episode WAD anyway, pre-Ultimate Doom.

Either way, some really nice work here @LateNightPerson

UPDATE 19:

Well shit. The computer I worked on a bit came back, but the work done there was lost. Thankfully, it wasn't too much done during that time, but oh well lol. Since I can go back to working on the wad full-time now, should I still do the singleplayer release?

20 hours ago, LateNightPerson said:

UPDATE 19:

Well shit. The computer I worked on a bit came back, but the work done there was lost. Thankfully, it wasn't too much done during that time, but oh well lol. Since I can go back to working on the wad full-time now, should I still do the singleplayer release? 

I would say yes, since it still sounds like there's a lot less work to do there (from what you've said). This way people can play and give feedback while you work on Ep. 4, and then you can roll any fixes into your final version once the multiplayer ep is ready to go.

UPDATE 20:

Progress on the wad is great so far. I've removed most of the E4 content from the singleplayer version, and I have added some new graphics! Have a look at one of them.

doomend.png

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

After many hiccups, I am proud to announce the early access edition of Doom: Raging Anarchy! Featuring the main 3 episodes and some cool graphics. 

DoomRA_EA.rar

Edited by LateNightPerson

4 hours ago, LateNightPerson said:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!

After many hiccups, I am proud to announce the early access edition of Doom: Raging Anarchy! Featuring the main 3 episodes and some cool graphics. 

DoomRA_EA.rar

Congratulations for the release! :)

The last level of E1 underwent quite the transformation. It's way more challenging for sure! Unfortunately, it can be ended immediately, and I did so the first time by accident... switches can be blocked by solid walls or doors, but not by height differences - this is why the secret exit box on Mount Erebus has to be so thick, by the way. So you'd either have to thicken that center bit way up, or rework the ending altogether...

I've noticed another issue on E1M9 - there was a teleporter before the big battle, presumably for co-op, but I entered it before going through the door, and then I walked back out through the door, which caused both the door and the teleporter to close and get me stuck. It seems like the teleporter closes way earlier than it should, if it should at all.

I haven't played most of E2 and E3, but I played a bit of both, and they both seem quite imaginative for sure! Congrats on the release.

@LateNightPerson Ok, I played the first 7 levels of episode 3 (8 looked real difficult so I gave it a rest). Don't hate me for skipping ahead, I always enjoy the Hell episodes the most and wanted to start there. Especially since I played Ep. 1 of the earlier demo version.

This is great! A few rough edges, of course, it *is* an early access. I'm sure you'll be glad you've posted this, as it'll help you get it into a final state. But some really nice work here. Good use of textures. Some good claustrophobic moments. I got a lot of SIGIL vibes from episode 3, from shooting the evil eyes to some of the designs with the red cracks and that sort of thing, and some of the rooms and traps. I really liked SIGIL btw, so this is NOT a complaint. This is also quite a challenging episode, which is impressive with the limited Doom 1 monster roster. LOTS of Barons. But I don't feel like it ever goes *full* slaughter wad, which I appreciate.

I'll finish ep 3, and then when I have some more free time I'll try to do a full playthrough from the beginning. I was not pistol starting on my playthrough tonight. I did have to use cheats once (IDCLIP) to get out of a situation, not sure if it was my fault or a bug. I played on GZDoom 4.6.1. with software rendering and "vanilla"-ish (for GZDoom, that is).

Oh, I'd suggest moving up the title. The RAGING ANARCHY subtitle under DOOM was basically overlapping with NEW GAME. Minor detail, but something you see right away.

One last thing -- I like the new graphics, especially the skull end screen for Ep 3 when you beat a level. All of it fits very well imo.

Good work mate!! Thanks again for sharing.

Thanks for the feedback! It is much appreciated.

@Captain Keen Which encounter did you have to noclip out of? I'm pretty sure that's a GZDoom thing because E3 works as intended in PrBoom Plus for me.

@Scypek2 Yeah that teleporter is intended for coop and potential softlocks with that door. That encounter in particular was always hard to make sure it was functional. I will look into this glitch, along with others that people report.

10 hours ago, LateNightPerson said:

Which encounter did you have to noclip out of? I'm pretty sure that's a GZDoom thing because E3 works as intended in PrBoom Plus for me. 

I honestly don't remember. I think it was E3M4, my back was against a wall fighting pinkies/barons and then I couldn't unstick myself. Or E3M5? If it happens again I'll keep note of exactly where and post it here. This has happened to me a couple of times in other WADs, so it very well might be an issue on my end with my particular settings.

I finished episode 3, btw. Really liked the final map! I may have died a few times.

Once again, thank you for the feedback! I'm glad that you enjoyed Episode 3. That one probably went through the most changes from its initial concept lol, with more of an emphasis on city levels in the final version as opposed to the concept version, which was more about techbases and hell.

I'll be on the lookout for any bugs related to enemy encounters in E3M4 and E3M5, thanks for the heads-up. Enjoy Episode 2!

So I just tried the Early Access version of the WAD, and I'm still seeing some very noticeable tutti-frutti effects on textures. You may want to manually tile some of the textures in SLADE so you don't have to worry about re-aligning things.

This is noticeable in RUDE and doom-plus/udoom32, both limit-removing executables that don't fix tutti-frutti.

E3M1 is impossible to complete in ITYTD and HNTR because the yellow skull key has been flagged to not appear in easy modes.

Is this an oversight or something else?

11 hours ago, LateNightPerson said:

Yeah oversight, will fix when I can

Also, playing in PrBoom+ 2.6.1 in -complevel 2, pressing the switch in E3M7 that's supposed to lower the pillar to the yellow key, doesn't actually lower the pillar to the yellow key.

If this WAD is supposed to work in all limit-removing source ports, it's probably best to test it in Crispy Doom, a minimalist limit-removing port.

There's also RUDE, another limit-removing port that's even more minimalist than Crispy Doom.

Also, I really don't like the inescapable death pits in E3M6-7. There should be a teleporter to teleport you back up.

Edited by Nikku4211

Played the whole megawad in one go a month or 2 ago, found really medium in terms of difficulty which is not a bad thing at all to have fun with doom wads.

The only one level i found challenging was the last level in megawad e3m8, maybe because that's the only level where i died by stupid trap called "fuck you, here's some shitton barrels right after the teleport". I'm sorry, but this absolutely blind trap without any hint that could possibly tell me about it after the whole map is truly a dick move.

About the whole megawad, it's... um, ok, mostly. I'm definitely not a fan of some design choices and encounters as well, but i can accept them - they're not terrible.

Some encounters do not work as should be if the space too large or too tight; Not much to look at in maps, always found a lack of texturing or fresh ideas for making fine-looking scenery for a map which usually depends on mapper's creativity. Progression in maps sometimes could be not clear and there was some moments where i was simply get lost; Layout mostly boring and not interesting, to be honest. Always felt like monster placement in this megawad it's just a place with monsters all around that putted randomly (especially in big open maps like e1m2).

Combining all that i'll say there's should be a lot of rework on many aspects of mapping that will take some time, i'll highly advise to go back and try to look at those maps again to see what you should fix.

I tried keep my feedback short because i don't usually have time to make big post about every map in megawad or maybe you already fixed all that and my feedback no more relevant, but this was pretty much my fisrt impression of this work.

I think for a Doom 1 Megwad it is pretty good. It has a nice sense of atmosphere. It is pretty simplistic but I found that to be part of it's charm. Not difficult, haven't died at all on HMP. Very generous on ammo, and was definitely built to be pistol started on all maps. Its a pretty cool little addition to my wad collection.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! It is with great pleasure that DOOM: Raging Anarchy is officially released on September 21, 2021! Have fun in your limit-removing sourceport of choice either going through the singleplayer campaign or deathmatching against friends online.

Spoiler

tbh i dont have much faith in the multiplayer maps, at least i found them fun lol

Edited by LateNightPerson