Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gibbon

ReBOOM 2.07um (Updated February 24th 2022)

56 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

I got a question. Does ReBOOM fix OG BOOM's flawed vanilla compatibility? I know that was a prominent issue that was later fixed with MBF.

It does not.  It is as exact as possible with Boom 2.02.  Bugs and all.  I haven't explicitly tested it but nothing I've added improves anything about vanilla.

4 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

It does not.  It is as exact as possible with Boom 2.02.  Bugs and all.  I haven't explicitly tested it but nothing I've added improves anything about vanilla.

The problem is that I've never seen any documentation about what exactly is wrong with it. The only thing I can think of is the new weapon switching logic which handles auto-weapon switching differently. Maybe also the whole monsters-falling-off-ledges issue? I don't even know if they kept the original P_Random table.

24 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

The problem is that I've never seen any documentation about what exactly is wrong with it. The only thing I can think of is the new weapon switching logic which handles auto-weapon switching differently. Maybe also the whole monsters-falling-off-ledges issue? I don't even know if they kept the original P_Random table.

Monsters falling off ledges was default and vanilla wasn't kept.  MBF added the compatibility stuff but BOOM was just a flat out modification without a lot of compat stuff, mostly it is with old Boom versions but there is some compat stuff there, but I wouldn't say it is vanilla compatible, it changes too much.  

Just 2 things to point out.

1. As discussed earlier for ReBoom, ReBoom-DOS does not display the Boom HUD at all when Always Show Stats are enabled. I don't know if you want to disable Always Show Stats when the Boom HUD is enabled or maybe just say in the Menu that they are incompatible. Not a big deal but a note might help users.

2. While playing around with ReBoom-DOS I found that if I change the Boom HUD from the default with everything in the lower left corner to the layout with health and armor in the upper right corner and then I switch back to the regular Doom status bar and then enable Always Show Stats I get the following image. Other Boom HUD layouts only seem to show the level name. I assume the Kills/Secrets are off screen or something. Repeatedly pressing the F5 key twice and then the Minus key lets me "scroll through" the layouts and see how it affect the status bar.

Spoiler

reboom-dos.png.07ca065168491d5d4a5d0611737788ac.png

On 12/30/2021 at 3:03 PM, OpenRift said:

I got a question. Does ReBOOM fix OG BOOM's flawed vanilla compatibility? I know that was a prominent issue that was later fixed with MBF.

I bet Pooch does ;)

Hey Gib, wondering if some things from a more obscure Boom port could be added? It's called Steve Boom, which was a continuation of Doomworld!. It adds some cool things like Hexen water sloshing sounds (these were added in an accompanying wad, I figure they can be added to Reboom.wad), fall damage, and some other cool things. Here's the wiki page  and the source code .

It had a sequel of sorts called Project Doom which had a chasecam. I couldn't find the source code though. At very least you might find it interesting.

I've heard of Steve boom.  Though ReBOOM no longer has a wad that is dependent on it (I kept it though) so yeah, I can take a look.

10 hours ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

I bet Pooch does ;)

ReBOOM has a few enhancements that I thought TNT would have added into BOOM sooner or later.  One of those is MBF sky transfers.  ReBOOM doesn't fix the compatibility though.

A small release this time.

Changes:

1. HUD Fixes from ReBOOM-DOS
  2. Adding an option to remove the levelname from the status bar (it can overlap the sprite of the weapon if it is long)
  3. Adding an option to remove the static limits (reboom-rl executable)

https://github.com/atsb/ReBOOM/releases/tag/207um (Windows 64bit binary).  MacOS will be done later.

The package contains both reboom.exe (normal BOOM limits) and reboom-rl.exe (increased limits)

27 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Changes:

2. Adding an option to remove the levelname from the status bar (it can overlap the sprite of the weapon if it is long)

https://github.com/atsb/ReBOOM/releases/tag/207um (Windows 64bit binary).  MacOS will be done later.

The package contains both reboom.exe (normal BOOM limits) and reboom-rl.exe (increased limits)

Reboom-RL is sprinkled limits right?

7 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Reboom-RL is sprinkled limits right?

No, it is Unity limits with a small bump 

On 2/24/2022 at 3:00 PM, Gibbon said:

Changes:

I'm glad that this update seemed to fix a weird sound issue I was having with ReBOOM...

Although the latest version seems to have some problems reading DehackEd and often crashes.

For example, I have my own wad with a dehacked that I know for a fact works in DOS Doom, but seems to crash in ReBOOM.

As another test, when I tried to load STRAIN with it's dehacked with ReBOOM, it crashes immediately as well.

1 hour ago, Arsinikk said:

I'm glad that this update seemed to fix a weird sound issue I was having with ReBOOM...

Although the latest version seems to have some problems reading DehackEd and often crashes.

For example, I have my own wad with a dehacked that I know for a fact works in DOS Doom, but seems to crash in ReBOOM.

As another test, when I tried to load STRAIN with it's dehacked with ReBOOM, it crashes immediately as well.

Do they also crash DOS Boom?

18 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Do they also crash DOS Boom?

@Gibbon No, I can confirm that both my wad/deh and STRAIN's wad/deh both work correct and do NOT crash in BOOM 2.02 in DOS.

Edited by Arsinikk

So the plot thickens...

On Windows 11, it works.

What OS are you using?  I'll try it on macOS, BSD and Linux too.

2 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

What OS are you using?  I'll try it on macOS, BSD and Linux too.

I am running Windows 11, as well actually.

7 minutes ago, Arsinikk said:

I am running Windows 11, as well actually.

Beautiful!

I love these kinds of bugs.  I'll get it fixed.

@Gibbon I will mention that it only crashes when I load the DEH with the wad... The wad will load just fine without the DEH.

What I also noticed is that if you remove some amount of information in the DEH, sometimes I can get it to load... Although I'm not exactly sure what causes it to crash / not-crash. It seems to be random. (for STRAIN)

Just to reiterate, I'm using the latest release (2.07um) that was posted on github.

Also I've tried both reboom.exe and reboom-rl.exe

On 2/27/2022 at 10:46 AM, Arsinikk said:

@Gibbon I will mention that it only crashes when I load the DEH with the wad... The wad will load just fine without the DEH.

What I also noticed is that if you remove some amount of information in the DEH, sometimes I can get it to load... Although I'm not exactly sure what causes it to crash / not-crash. It seems to be random. (for STRAIN)

Just to reiterate, I'm using the latest release (2.07um) that was posted on github.

Also I've tried both reboom.exe and reboom-rl.exe

So..  there is a story.

I fixed it, then that fix broke the deh reading entirely, after fixing that I broke the deh reading (from inside wads) and after that I managed to introduce more bugs (or rather uncover them).

So ReBOOM will be starting from scratch.  In my initial 7 day port I think I was simply too hasty and made a few errors that were overlooked.

Though the new version is still very young, it is again a ported BOOM 2.02 but this time it is Windows only, so I can focus on making it perfect for the majority system.  It uses only Windows API for everything (no SDL) - some of that was ported from RZDoom’s WINAPI code.

It also borrows the scaling and hires resizing from PRBoom (the early ones).

It also fixes your DEH issue :) 

This one will be superior 100%

@Arsinikk *blows off the dust on this thread*

Wow, 2 months, well I've finally fixed it (at least testing it on my SLE machine).  Apparently it was my Dehacked code cleanups that was causing it, so I put back the original (but fixed) DOS d_deh.c and it is working once more.  This commit has the fix: https://github.com/atsb/ReBOOM/commit/addbd70d162547be5e5bf212351347a508d497b0 (no releases though, only source).

I'm going to be merging some updates from the stalled 'new version' and probably get it bumped to 2.08um soon.

So, since I've purged my last remaining Windows machine..  I'm going to start supporting MSYS2 as 'the Windows builds' from now on.

ReBOOM has its first artifact here: https://github.com/atsb/ReBOOM/actions/runs/2271956986

I suggest to anyone wanting to use it, to install MSYS2 first as you'll likely need the msys dll file to run it.  It just simplifies life to write code once on Linux and not have to worry about 'Windows-isms'.

Ill work on getting the msys dependencies done too so it’s a complete package 

Edited by Gibbon

1 hour ago, Gibbon said:

So, since I've purged my last remaining Windows machine..

Why? :P

2 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

Why? :P

Because I don’t use it 95% of the time and I hated having to have a separate system just to make a build.  GitHub can do it for me instead :)

I never brought it up, but I think ReBOOM still has the bug where it does not render skies properly if their height is not a power of two (e.g. 200 or 240 and not 256). No idea if this extends to other textures.