Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
clamgor

[released] Meatbox Slam!

Heya! Made a new map after a while. It's called Meatbox Slam.

You find yourself in a box that unfolds as you progress. Don't get swarmed. Find all keys. Good Luck!

LINK: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/m-o/meatslam

Details

Limit removing (ZDoom, GZDoom)

Single and Co-op Play

Game Doom 2

Map MAP01

---

Base New from scratch
Build Time 7 days.
Editor(s) used Doom Builder 2, Slade 2
Known Bugs Slime Trail (if you find any, let me know of other bugs!)
May Not Run With Chocolate Doom, pRBoom+
Tested With ZDoom 2.8.1, GZDoom 4.4.2

EDIT: idgames link is up!

Screenshots

Screenshot_Doom_20210825_174121.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210825_174213.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210825_174234.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210825_174252.png

Edited by clamgor

On 8/25/2021 at 7:30 AM, clamgor said:

Limit removing (ZDoom, GZDoom)

Looks pretty cool, I love the screenshots! 

However I don't recommend using ZDoom\GZDoom as your main port if you want to make vanilla, limit-removing or boom maps - that's a recipe for disaster. Each format have it's own appropriate port to let you know how compatible your map really is:

Vanilla = Chocolate Doom or Chocorenderlimits
Limit Removing = Crispy Doom or prBoom+ on cl 2

Boom = prBoom+ on cl 11 (mostly)

Edited by Noiser

Just finished it, impressive detailed map, you really put a lot of effort into it there no doubt about this, and I'm talking about the whole design albeit a bit confusing in some parts : for sure a disadvantage of the complexity of your map, this is not a major defect to me though, every map has his cons, and keeping in mind you did all of this alone this is an impressive achievment I couldn't be capable of personnally.

I found no bug nor glich.

Another point, I don't understand the second door secret openable with the G1/GR switch in the outside area, is that just here to tell the player that this is a "second possible way" ? Because there is no reward to go in otherwise (or I didn't found it ?).

Anyway, I got fun, it really has a lovely charm, the exit door was particulary rough haha, I died almost 10 times here xD

On 8/25/2021 at 7:53 PM, Briøche said:

Just finished it, impressive detailed map, you really put a lot of effort into it there no doubt about this

Hey, thanks for the feedback!

On 8/25/2021 at 7:53 PM, Briøche said:

Another point, I don't understand the second door secret openable with the G1/GR switch in the outside area, is that just here to tell the player that this is a "second possible way" ? Because there is no reward to go in otherwise (or I didn't found it ?).

Also yeah, I basically put that secret in there as an alternate route of entering the second area without facing the monsters waiting at the front entrance haha, there are also some stimpacks and ammunition in the secret room in case the player's running low on either and found the secret beforehand

this is an awesome map. idk why this isnt getting more attention here. nice execution of a cool concept. 

are mlook/jumping intended? i couldnt find the answer in the readme. maybe im blind...

Edited by rampancy

19 hours ago, rampancy said:

this is an awesome map. idk why this isnt getting more attention here. nice execution of a cool concept.

thanks!

19 hours ago, rampancy said:

are mlook/jumping intended? i couldnt find the answer in the readme. maybe im blind...

I tested it on ZDoom with these settings enabled and found that playing it with Vanilla settings might hamper the player during the starting area, honestly didn't think about it because I was focused on executing the concept. I'm not used to all this complevel stuff and don't know which sourceports are ideal for mapping and testing vanilla WADs. Is prBoom+ the ideal?

around here prboom+ is probably the most fashionable compatibility wise. gzdoom specific features are more niche. 

freelook isnt zdoom specific though and i think its more widely accepted. i usually play with it off bc doom but i noticed a couple hell knights early on that i couldnt really target without it, hence the question. 

usually you will find a note in the text file if the author expects you to freelook to complete the level.

I completed Meatbox Slam meatslam.wad with LZDoom on Hurt Me Plenty, this map was outrageous, 90/100. meatslam.wad is 1 of the most original Doom 2 maps that I have tested. The progression in the map is not really apparent at first. As you move through the map, the map will expand. Every area in the map is full of traps, and ambushes with enemies appearing from anywhere in the map. This map was action packed, and full of numerous details in the environment. The switches in the map were hard to find, because there are no "hints" that will lead to the switches. My only complaint was the level of lighting in the map. The building area was completely dark. Any time I was ambushed, I would had to retreat outside, and fight the monsters outside in the light. Add more lighting to the interior locations.

Well done! Was looking at the new list on idgames and was intrigued by the name... I really enjoy single map wads because I don't feel the "pressure to perform" the rest of them. :)