Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rudolph

Wonderful Doom's E1M5 issue

I apologize in advance if this is a known problem, but I have recently started playing Wonderful Doom and noticed a problem with E1M5's starting location: even though the map has you start on a concrete floor surrounded by slime pools, it still counts as damaging floor. I am pretty sure I have the latest version of the megawad, so I am wondering if I am the only one experiencing this issue. I would have reported it to the author, but this is a decade-old mapset and I do not know if the author is still around.

I replayed the map and I found something probably more critical: linedef 161, a switch that opens the door (after a newly built bridge over lava and before the blue key) is a one time switch, meaning that if no monsters are behind the door, you will not be able to progress and finish the map. Cool mapset, I liked E4M2 best @Wraith are you the author?

6 hours ago, Rudolph said:

E1M5's starting location: even though the map has you start on a concrete floor surrounded by slime pools, it still counts as damaging floor.

Yeah, that sector uses the "2% or 5% damage" special, so definitely not a bug.

That is odd. I am surprised nobody noticed that issue until now, since this is literally the very first thing that happens on the map.

Oh well. Still a solid mapset. I definitely prefer its take on E2M9 over the vanilla one!

Damnit! There is also a non-obvious damaging floor line in E4M2 that keeps ruining my playthroughs: since the map is faithful to its vanilla counterpart, it is really difficult and I find myself having to navigate the first half of the level while low on health. I like this mapset, but those design quirks/errors are truly infuriating.

Well, that's what I've heard about back then - e1m5 issue. Nobody told of other problems regarding difficulty/balance...

Well, as I pointed out, there are damaging floor lines in E4M2 in the rocky cave that keep killing me, as I am usually low on health by the time I get there.

Uh-ha.. Well, if there is anything else, it really should be released officially as v.1.4 after all those fixes)

My second post in this thread, hello :)

Edited by vdgg

FWIW, aside from vdgg's bug, Eureka's map checker told me that there is a manual door special on a single-sided line (#991).

Regarding the problem on the far side of the bridge, I note there are at least two other ways to the exit via secret areas. When I was inspired by this thread to replay the map I stumbled on the exit from the blue key area via sector #70 before I had gone back to see if the bridge had been raised yet. Having obtained the key it is also possible to go via the rocket launcher secret, and outside.

However ultimately I think it should be considered very carefully if releasing a minor bugfix version after this much time does more harm than good. IMO after a certain time a release becomes "mature" and should not be modified again, regardless of the bugs, assuming they are not so severe as to make the map unplayable and/or have no workarounds. (But I recognise designers might still be embarrassed about bugs in their maps and want to fix them. The happiest outcome is if bugs can be fixed without breaking all the existing demos, but this can be difficult to achieve.)