Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

Revolution!: 2022 Edition - A PWAD version of the Unity Rerelease of Revolution!

As you may know, Thomas Van Der Velden's Revolution was recently released on the Doom Unity port and has received a significant update over it's original 2001 release.

New title screen, intermission, bossback, and help graphics, the music from the community MIDI pack, level names and story text via dehacked, a new level, and more have been added on top of the early 2000s classic. 

You can find more info about the changes made to the WAD here.

So what the hell is this post then?

Well, as a weird trend for Unity port PWADs, they're essentially just IWADs with the respective PWAD stuff baked in on top of it. So essentially I stripped out all the IWAD bloat to make it back into a PWAD, as well as making some minor changes for graphical elements to maintain vanilla compatibility!

Differences from the Unity Version

• Uncensored the use of "Slave" in the storytext (Imma be real with you, the plot of this WAD from the Community MIDI Pack's storytext is questionable to say the least, regardless of if you use euphemisms or not)
  • Cropped fullscreen assets to 320x200 (TITLEPIC, HELP, INTERPIC, BOSSBACK)
  • Swapped out the Unity Credits screen for the MIDI pack credits screen, since cropping the Unity credits screen crops out text (Unity Credits is still in the Widescreen GFX WAD though, don't worry)
  • Included Unity widescreen assets in a separate PWAD, TVR22_WS.WAD
  • Cut out all the IWAD stuff that shouldn't be in there
  • Added DEHACKED (BEX format), MAPINFO, and EMAPINFO lumps from the MIDI Pack
  • Added External DeHackEd file for use in vanilla Doom

DOWNLOAD HERE!

NOTE FOR VANILLA USERS

You will have to do some WAD merging (deusf.exe -merge tvr22.wad) to play the WAD in DOSBox or real DOS, I highly recommend idManager to make using DeuSF and DeHackEd a lot easier!

Edited by OpenRift

51 minutes ago, Delfino Furioso said:

woah, sweet! 

any previous similar effort on the other addons, that I might have missed?

The other addons haven't really had any drastic modifications like Revolution has, so no. The only new thing the other WADs sometimes have is widescreen assets, many of which I've extracted and archived for use in other ports here.

On 8/20/2022 at 10:02 PM, OpenRift said:

As you may know, Thomas Van Der Velden's Revolution was recently released on the Doom Unity port and has received a significant update over it's original 2001 release.

New title screen, intermission, bossback, and help graphics, the music from the community MIDI pack, level names and story text via dehacked, a new level, and more have been added on top of the early 2000s classic. 

You can find more info about the changes made to the WAD here.

So what the hell is this post then?

Well, as a weird trend for Unity port PWADs, they're essentially just IWADs with the respective PWAD stuff baked in on top of it. So essentially I stripped out all the IWAD bloat to make it back into a PWAD, as well as making some minor changes for graphical elements to maintain vanilla compatibility!

Differences from the Unity Version

• Uncensored the use of "Slave" in the storytext (Imma be real with you, the plot of this WAD from the Community MIDI Pack's storytext is questionable to say the least, regardless of if you use euphemisms or not)
  • Cropped fullscreen assets to 320x200 (TITLEPIC, HELP, INTERPIC, BOSSBACK)
  • Swapped out the Unity Credits screen for the MIDI pack credits screen, since cropping the Unity credits screen crops out text (Unity Credits is still in the Widescreen GFX WAD though, don't worry)
  • Included Unity widescreen assets in a separate PWAD, TVR22_WS.WAD
  • Cut out all the IWAD stuff that shouldn't be in there
  • Added DEHACKED (BEX format), MAPINFO, and EMAPINFO lumps from the MIDI Pack
  • Added External DeHackEd file for use in vanilla Doom

DOWNLOAD HERE!

NOTE FOR VANILLA USERS

You will have to do some WAD merging (deusf.exe -merge tvr22.wad) to play the WAD in DOSBox or real DOS, I highly recommend idManager to make using DeuSF and DeHackEd a lot easier!

The Unity port indeed makes IWADS out of PWADS - So they are somewhat self contained but still need Doom2.

Epic stuff this is though!

However, wanted to let you know that the You can find more info about the changes made to the WAD here link does not work.

6 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

However, wanted to let you know that the You can find more info about the changes made to the WAD here link does not work.

Uh oh, I don't even remember the post I was linking to either lmao. Maybe I'll look into that another time, eventually(tm)

7 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

The Unity port indeed makes IWADS out of PWADS - So they are somewhat self contained but still need Doom2.

No, they don't need Doom II -- they can work with either Doom or Doom II. That's the reason why they're IWADified, just so that they can be used with both of the titles.

59 minutes ago, Gez said:

No, they don't need Doom II -- they can work with either Doom or Doom II. That's the reason why they're IWADified, just so that they can be used with both of the titles.

I stand corrected to your knowledge :)

I am replaying it right now and it seems like MAP05's fourth secret is bugged. Am I playing the right version or is the bug still present in the re-release?