Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fernito

[Doom2, limit-removing] BOOMER: Beyond Vanilla — Action/adventure/exploration-focused WAD (v0.08.02 2023-12-18)

I need to play this superb piece of work again. Wonderful stuff.

Yeah, I used idclip a lot as I was thrown down by the rockets. So that likely messed up something in the sequence and whatever the next step was didn't materialize. I should try it again with saves some day.

On 10/7/2023 at 6:34 AM, Fernito said:

Hi everyone :) 

I just wanted to announce the release of version 0.08.01, which is the biggest (and most likely the last) update since the first release. 

The biggest news is that MAP08, which was just a short endmap with no exit, was turned into a finishable "challenge" map, with the intention of giving the wad a proper closure (I warn you, it's a challenge map, so it's meant to be tough and unforgiving :P). I also put a copy of the same map in slot 32, basically because I like how it looks with the red hell sky c: 

Some screenshots:

doom78.png.f56ca8c70709c532c975900bc2e90d38.png

Reveal hidden contents

doom86.png.658887bd74fbf48d28159b71d503d23c.pngdoom83.png.632f4ac5eabd6c44bd58df97d6531554.png

Thanks to @Veemon and @Vile for the playtesting.

The soundtrack also got updated. Most notably, the track for MAP07 was totally reworked by my musician friend, Tomás Rojas, who did an amazing job taking the existing solos, drums, and bassline and converting them into one of the grooviest midis I've ever heard :D Apart from that, the intermission screen midi also got some extra love, among a couple of other small changes in the rest of the soundtrack.

More details can be found in the summary below.

[CHANGELOG v0.08.01]

Reveal hidden contents
  • Added 3 demos (they should run well at least on DSDA-Doom and Crispy Doom)
  • Added meaningful par times to every level  
  • Music: 
    • Totally reworked track for MAP07, "Obliterating Rendezvous" (Credit: Tomás Rojas)
    • Extended intermission screen track, "Victory toll"
    • Put some more work on end map/text screen track, "Rite of passage"
    • Several small tweaks in most of the other tracks.
  • Maps
    • All maps were updated for easier navigation: a lot of useless linedefs where hidden, so now the automap views should be a lot less confusing (thanks to all those that brought this to my attention)
    • MAP07: got buffed a little bit
    • MAP08: previously just an exit-less short end map, now a 100% playable "challenge" map
    • MAP32: same as MAP08, just with the bony red sky :) 
    • Several other small aesthetic and QoL improvements in most levels (e.g.: making those multi-sector lifts not ear rape you anymore)

I really hate u testing the early version of that torture XD , but the map is su fucking amazing. 

This pwad is amazing, but im stuck at level 4. Got the blue key and cant find the yellow. Looks like the blue key room leads to nothing...

edit I forgot the door in the left in the beginning

Edited by Fabiolinks

On 1/15/2023 at 2:01 PM, Fernito said:

cheesable

lol... is that a portmanteau of cheesy and cheatable? :-)

20 hours ago, Xymph said:

lol... is that a portmanteau of cheesy and cheatable? :-)

hehe, I meant that the map could be cheesed :)

2 hours ago, old robot 90 said:

it looks like a work of art can't wait to rip and tear   

As someone who playtested this bad boy, it really is a work of art. And great gameplay too! Enjoy.