Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fernito

[Doom2, limit-removing] BOOMER: Beyond Vanilla — Action/adventure/exploration-focused WAD (v0.08.02 2023-12-18)

7 hours ago, rita remton said:

yes, i played in [uv].

i didn't count during play. but i reloaded my save, used [iddt] and searched for any arachnotrons in the remote monster closets, and found none. i also used the console command [kill arachnotron] to double-check for any remaining arachnotrons.

[gzdoom 4.10.0].

will update you later on this.

Thanks again! There's no need to check the video, I found out what the problem was: I had recently added ZMAPINFO to the wad, and I had no idea that the flag "Map07Special" had to be added for tag 666/667 to work in map07. The issue is solved now, so if you still feel like completing map07, there shouldn't be any issues now :)

Thanks a lot for this bug report, it really saved my life! Since I rarely test the wad with GZDoom, I'd have just shipped it like this :O     

9 hours ago, Fernito said:

Thanks again! There's no need to check the video, I found out what the problem was: I had recently added ZMAPINFO to the wad, and I had no idea that the flag "Map07Special" had to be added for tag 666/667 to work in map07. The issue is solved now, so if you still feel like completing map07, there shouldn't be any issues now :)

Thanks a lot for this bug report, it really saved my life! Since I rarely test the wad with GZDoom, I'd have just shipped it like this :O     

glad to be of help.

some of my personal notes on this mapset: my small gripes are pickup items placed in the middle of passageways (can't even avoid them in narrow corridors), confusing mapflow (had to travel considerable distances after getting a coloured key to reach the respective locked doors), secrets are super-hard to find. despite all that, what i like about this mapset is be summarized [here].

thank you for making+sharing this mapset. loved it lots! ☺️

Edited by rita remton

9 hours ago, rita remton said:

glad to be of help.

some of my personal notes on this mapset: my small gripes are pickup items placed in the middle of passageways (can't even avoid them in narrow corridors), confusing mapflow (had to travel considerable distances after getting a coloured key to reach the respective locked doors), secrets are super-hard to find. despite all that, what i like about this mapset is be summarized [here].

thank you for making+sharing this mapset. loved it lots! ☺️

First off, wow! Thanks a lot for the nomination! It really means a lot to me :) 

And of course, thanks a lot for your feedback, it's very useful! The hard-to-find secrets is an explicit design choice to keep the replay value high :P As for the items placed in passageways, I've gotten that comment from other testers as well, I might give the wad one last pass and move some items around. As for the confusing mapflow, may I ask you what map(s) gave you the most trouble? Except for map04, where the backtracking is intentional, I tried to implement shortcuts and interconnection in most maps such that you don't necessarily have to travel very big distances to get to wherever you have to go, so I'm very curious about your input in this regard :)

22 hours ago, Fernito said:

First off, wow! Thanks a lot for the nomination! It really means a lot to me :)

my pleasure :)

may I ask you what map(s) gave you the most trouble?

[map06]. but i still managed to finished it :)

I tried to implement shortcuts and interconnection in most maps such that you don't necessarily have to travel very big distances to get to wherever you have to go, so I'm very curious about your input in this regard :)

for an exploration/open-world map layout, i guess you got the mapflow spot on. thing is, i'm terrible navigating such maps and more than often tend to easily get lost, thus the only "small gripe" for such an essential map element. adding more pathways in the form of shortcuts and interconnections adds to my confusion. i was wandering all over the place just to get to a certain location, going like "ok, this room" and a few seconds later "eh? this room again?". this is just my personal weakness with exploration/open-world maps.

imo, for a map with excellent mapflow, the map itself should be able to guide the player from starting point to level exit without the player refering to the automap at all. an exception to this is using the automap to look for subtle signs for unvisited optional/secret areas. such independency from the automap however, is usually reserved for linear, key-flow, and winding (looped) maps. an exploration/open-world map on the other hand, with its multitude of pathways to reach a single location, would ultimately make the player rely on the automap. visual cues do help to an extent, but can get overwhelming when there is high number of detailed rooms/pathways to traverse by.

regardless of my personal views, please do keep your mapping style (except for the pickups in the middle of passageways). i find your mapping style quite unique :)

Edited by rita remton

6 hours ago, rita remton said:

for an exploration/open-world map layout, i guess you got the mapflow spot on. thing is, i'm terrible navigating such maps and more than often tend to easily get lost, thus the only "small gripe" for such an essential map element. adding more pathways in the form of shortcuts and interconnections adds to my confusion. i was wandering all over the place just to get to a certain location, going like "ok, this room" and a few seconds later "eh? this room again?". this is just my personal weakness with exploration/open-world maps.

imo, for a map with excellent mapflow, the map itself should be able to guide the player from starting point to level exit without the player refering to the automap at all. an exception to this is using the automap to look for subtle signs for unvisited optional/secret areas. such independency from the automap however, is usually reserved for linear, key-flow, and winding (looped) maps. an exploration/open-world map on the other hand, with its multitude of pathways to reach a single location, would ultimately make the player rely on the automap. visual cues do help to an extent, but can get overwhelming when there is high number of detailed rooms/pathways to traverse by.

regardless of my personal views, please do keep your mapping style (except for the pickups in the middle of passageways). i find your mapping style quite unique :)

I see, makes total sense! Thanks a lot for the detailed feedback and the encouragement, I really appreciate it :) 

[UPDATE 2023-04-14]

I am happy to announce that the final "shareware" version of this wad has been (finally) officially released!

For those who had the chance to play the beta version when it was first released, you will notice significant improvements in this final version. I have fixed several bugs, tweaked pretty much all maps according to your feedback, added some new secrets, improved consistency in detailing across all maps, polished the soundtrack, and added support for coop, among other things. If you enjoyed the WAD back then, I highly recommend trying out the final version :)

For those who haven't tried it yet, I invite you to download and give it a try! A lot of love (and hours!) has been put into this project, so I hope you find it to be an enjoyable experience.

Latest version: v0.07.03

Idgames link: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/boomer

Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lw2jis0ayvb0m78/boomer.wad?dl=0

PS: if some of you happened to download it already from idgames before, a version of the wad with some bugs was up for some days, so before playing, I recommend you just make sure the credits/help screens shows the right version.

Spoiler

image.png.0a5f80e7777deed1d869c8214a80c169.png

I am definitely gonna play through this again. And then probably again. Simply one of the best wads I have played. Wonderful.

I normally stay away from large, non-linear map(set)s, because they give me anxiety and feel overwhelmed, however, I'm very glad I have given this a whirl. 

On MAP6 (UAC) Resort, and it's absolutely, mind-blowingly fantastic.  The details, the architecture, the music, the fights... You deserve a Caco for this, and I do hope you get one!

10 hours ago, Fly In The Lotion said:

I normally stay away from large, non-linear map(set)s, because they give me anxiety and feel overwhelmed, however, I'm very glad I have given this a whirl. 

On MAP6 (UAC) Resort, and it's absolutely, mind-blowingly fantastic.  The details, the architecture, the music, the fights... You deserve a Caco for this, and I do hope you get one!

Hey! Thanks a lot for your feedback, I really appreciate it! :) I'm glad to know you are enjoying the wad, especially considering that you are not necessarily an enjoyer of non-linear maps, I take that as a big compliment :) 

Just finished it on UV. I appreciate non-linear maps and enjoy them a bit from time to time, but they should mimic 'real life'/believable locations; I mean, for example Ribbiks and Insane Gazebo has beautiful abstract architecture and design in general – and really calibrated fights –, but I don't particularly love their gameplay, it's somehow too 'alien' for my taste. My real cup of tea is more like small, condensed levels with explosive action. I also like crude, Sandy-like maps with the '90s vibe, they certainly have their charm, but I'm a sucker for details and visually interesting environments.

This has STELLAR architecture and texturing work, even though the latter is a bit overdone here and there imo; sometimes less is more, and makes navigation easier. But the complex, painstakingly detailed geometry (even outside of borders), the lighting and the atmosphere are top-notch, made hundreds of screenshots. It also has some cool fights, but that's not the strong point of this one, as the whole stuff is not geared towards that. Also great music, but map07 is a bit of a let-down after such a quality 'prologue'.

Really well done, it worths at least a Cacoward runner-up title. I think it very well might have a place in my Top 10, I'm just not sure what to remove from that list. You also earned a spot on the roster of my favorite mappers.

edit: Haha, I see  @LordEntr0py was one of your beta testers. Tested a single level WAD for him 2 years ago, he also has a knack for huge, very detailed maps. : >

Edited by Fluuschoen

@Fluuschoen I really appreciate the feedback and the nice comments! :) Yeah, I'm aware that I might have gone overboard with the texturing in some places hehe, but I'm glad it was an enjoyable experience overall.

BTW, I'm really curious about your comment on map07's track. I mean, of course it's totally fair if you didn't like it from a stylistic point of view, but I'm wondering why was it a let-down for you. It's actually one of my personal favorites :P

edit: Haha, I see  @LordEntr0py was one of your beta testers. Tested a single level WAD for him 2 years ago, he also has a knack for huge, very detailed maps. : >

Yeah, his maps are quite impressive! *_*

On 4/19/2023 at 8:14 AM, Fernito said:

BTW, I'm really curious about your comment on map07's track. I mean, of course it's totally fair if you didn't like it from a stylistic point of view, but I'm wondering why was it a let-down for you.

Stylistically was okay, but felt a little mishmashed, it just didn't have the architectural complexity, making it the odd one out.

Best MAP01 I've played in a long time, other than my crushing inability to find secrets (the rocket launcher might be a touch esoteric, tbh, couldn't even figure it out with Doom Builder until I opened the wiki.) Can't wait to play more. MIDI was ace too.

This is quite the mapset!  Exploration/adventure focused maps are exactly my preferred Doom experience.  I'm only just wrapping map 3, but I can say that this has been a fantastic experience so far.  Playing on UV and finding the challenge to be just about right for my admittedly limited skills.  Really enjoying the detailing, interweaving layouts, secret hunting, and the music.  Well done!  It's plainly obvious the amount of work and attention that has gone into this set.  Definitely a Caco contender for sure!

Thanks for your comments! @ChaosSmurf @DrR0Ck @SportsterV90

BTW, just wanted to give everyone a heads up about this contest I'm running involving this wad. I reckon it'll get more attention if I post it here (I guess I should've done it earlier, but yeah, what can I do :P)

Floored by this WAD. The attention to detail is borderline absurd, the opening levels show a fantastic level of restraint in the monster and weapons department. No SSG or Chaingun in the first map! An excellent focus towards fodder enemy use. The lighting is indeed VERY important for some wonderful encounters, absolutely must be played with DSDA for sure. The music is hands down some of the best I have heard in a while, are you really an amateur composer as you've stated?

I am in love with it! Working on a video specifically about this WAD, it must be played! High up there in terms of Cacoward material IMO.

10 hours ago, Lagoonatic said:

Floored by this WAD. The attention to detail is borderline absurd, the opening levels show a fantastic level of restraint in the monster and weapons department. No SSG or Chaingun in the first map! An excellent focus towards fodder enemy use. The lighting is indeed VERY important for some wonderful encounters, absolutely must be played with DSDA for sure. The music is hands down some of the best I have heard in a while, are you really an amateur composer as you've stated?

I am in love with it! Working on a video specifically about this WAD, it must be played! High up there in terms of Cacoward material IMO.

Thanks a lot for your feedback! I really appreciate your kind comments, I'm glad you enjoyed the wad :) As for the soundtrack, I've been making music for around 20 years, but yeah, I have no formal musical training whatsoever :) 

I'll be definitely looking forward to your video, I'd appreciate it if you share it with me once it's published :)

On 8/10/2023 at 10:37 AM, Fernito said:

Thanks a lot for your feedback! I really appreciate your kind comments, I'm glad you enjoyed the wad :) As for the soundtrack, I've been making music for around 20 years, but yeah, I have no formal musical training whatsoever :) 

I'll be definitely looking forward to your video, I'd appreciate it if you share it with me once it's published :)

Video is uploaded and is going live at 8am Central time. Spoiler, it is 40 minutes of me gushing over your creation. I really didn't have anything to critique! It's exactly up my alley. Meaningful exploration, some cryptic but not impossible secrets, level design and architecture is some of the best around, well balanced gameplay, and MY GOD your midis are badass! Goin' Down The Hard Way, A Day At The Beach, and UkT are now in my favorite Doom tracks list. TLDR: Well done! You better get a caco for this achievement. I hope my video brings more attention to it and I hope you enjoy it. I'll link it once it is live!

Unashamed punt of my live stream playing Boomer, and I'm going to give it a try with Crispy Doom to boot: 

As has been said, the level of detail in these maps is incredible. And yet, none of this detail hinders gameplay. I love how for example, you have little hexagonal staircases out of a pit of water that blends into the surrounds so well. 

The fights are just right - I never felt too overwhelmed, but it wasn’t a cakewalk either. 

Despite the scale and non-linear nature of the maps, I never felt frustratingly lost. If I did hit a brick wall, it was usually my own doing for not looking properly or visiting an obvious path that turned out to be progression. 

Greet stuff. Fabulous! 

Hi everyone :) 

I just wanted to announce the release of version 0.08.01, which is the biggest (and most likely the last) update since the first release. 

The biggest news is that MAP08, which was just a short endmap with no exit, was turned into a finishable "challenge" map, with the intention of giving the wad a proper closure (I warn you, it's a challenge map, so it's meant to be tough and unforgiving :P). I also put a copy of the same map in slot 32, basically because I like how it looks with the red hell sky c: 

Some screenshots:

doom78.png.f56ca8c70709c532c975900bc2e90d38.png

Spoiler

doom86.png.658887bd74fbf48d28159b71d503d23c.pngdoom83.png.632f4ac5eabd6c44bd58df97d6531554.png

Thanks to @Veemon and @Vile for the playtesting.

The soundtrack also got updated. Most notably, the track for MAP07 was totally reworked by my musician friend, Tomás Rojas, who did an amazing job taking the existing solos, drums, and bassline and converting them into one of the grooviest midis I've ever heard :D Apart from that, the intermission screen midi also got some extra love, among a couple of other small changes in the rest of the soundtrack.

More details can be found in the summary below.

[CHANGELOG v0.08.01]

Spoiler
  • Added 3 demos (they should run well at least on DSDA-Doom and Crispy Doom)
  • Added meaningful par times to every level  
  • Music: 
    • Totally reworked track for MAP07, "Obliterating Rendezvous" (Credit: Tomás Rojas)
    • Extended intermission screen track, "Victory toll"
    • Put some more work on end map/text screen track, "Rite of passage"
    • Several small tweaks in most of the other tracks.
  • Maps
    • All maps were updated for easier navigation: a lot of useless linedefs where hidden, so now the automap views should be a lot less confusing (thanks to all those that brought this to my attention)
    • MAP07: got buffed a little bit
    • MAP08: previously just an exit-less short end map, now a 100% playable "challenge" map
    • MAP32: same as MAP08, just with the bony red sky :) 
    • Several other small aesthetic and QoL improvements in most levels (e.g.: making those multi-sector lifts not ear rape you anymore)

Edited by Fernito : add link and credits

If they ask me "What Cool Vanilla WAD to play?" Then I will immediately recommend this WAD from Fernito! This is one of the Best Works that I had a chance to play at the beginning of 2023. And I'm still waiting for the Project to reach the Full MEGAWAD state! Even expressed an opinion about him HERE (In Russian).

The last Patch pleased me with the changes. I agree that even I wandered for a very long time on the Levels. I'll take a look sometime.

I guess it is time to dive back into the wondefull world of Boomer to check out another of what is sure to be your amazing lvls. Hopefully this time I can finally get around to giving you the long over due feedback on your other 2 maps as well. They were both absolutely amazing and deserve some time in the spotlight to shine as well. 😃

Played the wad again and it was just as good as before! In map 6 I managed an archvile jump (by accident) over the fence / pillars that requires the red key... The new map is pretty impressive. I couldn't finish it but it's possible I messed up some linedef because I used cheats...

Found a softlock on MAP08/MAP32. Walking into the space between these two pillars will get you permanently stuck.woof0000.png.4d74feefc14470499946ec42c9ec1ee9.png

On 10/7/2023 at 1:13 PM, Blacklight said:

If they ask me "What Cool Vanilla WAD to play?" Then I will immediately recommend this WAD from Fernito! This is one of the Best Works that I had a chance to play at the beginning of 2023. And I'm still waiting for the Project to reach the Full MEGAWAD state! Even expressed an opinion about him HERE (In Russian).

The last Patch pleased me with the changes. I agree that even I wandered for a very long time on the Levels. I'll take a look sometime.

Oh, I actually saw that review a while ago! A friend that speaks Russian helped me with the translation, thanks a lot for the nice comments! :)

On 10/7/2023 at 1:46 PM, Insaneprophet said:

I guess it is time to dive back into the wondefull world of Boomer to check out another of what is sure to be your amazing lvls. Hopefully this time I can finally get around to giving you the long over due feedback on your other 2 maps as well. They were both absolutely amazing and deserve some time in the spotlight to shine as well. 😃

hehe I'll be definitely looking forward to that feedback. I haven't been inspired enough to go back to those 2 maps and finished them properly yet, but I promise it's gonna happen eventually :P

On 10/7/2023 at 6:36 PM, slowfade said:

Played the wad again and it was just as good as before! In map 6 I managed an archvile jump (by accident) over the fence / pillars that requires the red key... The new map is pretty impressive. I couldn't finish it but it's possible I messed up some linedef because I used cheats...

If you used idclip it's very likely you might have skipped a linedef :( Btw, you couldn't beat it because of the difficulty or because the progression was not clear enough? (Oh, and thanks for reporting that archvile jump!)

18 hours ago, Scorcher said:

Found a softlock on MAP08/MAP32. Walking into the space between these two pillars will get you permanently stuck.

Good catch! I put it in the list of future fixes.