Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dizastr_Mastr

if you went in front of this pillar in e1m1 would you save time (speedrunning))

I'm pretty sure the current WR speedrun route for E1M1 is optimal and it's not possible to do better, so no.

It's probably the most played Doom level ever (if not, then it's second place behind MAP01 from Doom II), so every possible route has been pushed to its absolute limit and the one taken by the current world record is unbeatable.

Why not make a TAS and find out? Though I'd be quite surprised if it did save time, since the game's been speedrun for about 30 years, and this is the first room of the first level.

9 minutes ago, Lucius Wooding said:

Why not make a TAS and find out? Though I'd be quite surprised if it did save time, since the game's been speedrun for about 30 years, and this is the first room of the first level.

The current 7.69 TAS says, no... and almostmatt is a pretty good TAS player, so I would assume it should be pretty optimal.

29 minutes ago, esselfortium said:

That screenshot seems a bit fishy. Are some of the textures upside down...?

It's taken from Doom 2016, of all things.

25 minutes ago, Gez said:

I'm pretty sure the current WR speedrun route for E1M1 is optimal and it's not possible to do better, so no.

It's probably the most played Doom level ever (if not, then it's second place behind MAP01 from Doom II), so every possible route has been pushed to its absolute limit and the one taken by the current world record is unbeatable.

thanks for showing me this video!

3 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

The current 7.69 TAS says, no... and almostmatt is a pretty good TAS player, so I would assume it should be pretty optimal.

I mean, if we have the decimal .69 it's probably too nice to go lower even if we could. But it's always better with these kinds of inquiries to take the next step and find out since OP clearly has some interest in speedrunning. The people with WR have nothing to prove, OP is the one essentially claiming they're doing things wrong or didn't do their diligence in routing. If the claimed time save were true, it'd be huge even if it saved a frame because it'd potentially make the very grindy non TAS WR a bit less tight. I've seen this kind of backseating behavior a lot in speedrunning streams and the like, and it's a sign that the person posting just needs a gentle nudge to get their feet wet and actually participate, not just make low effort posts.

4 hours ago, Lucius Wooding said:

I've seen this kind of backseating behavior a lot in speedrunning streams and the like, and it's a sign that the person posting just needs a gentle nudge to get their feet wet and actually participate, not just make low effort posts.

Well, to me, using a Google image instead of an actual screenshot with a proper sourceport is a sign that OP can't be farther away from actually trying to speedrun... but maybe I'm wrong.