Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
banjiepixel

Discussion about the defining line between regular and tool assisted (including Turn180 key)

First of all, I should state that I am not speedrunner myself but competitive gaming is pretty familiar to me in general and believe that the rules of competition should be well thought out and consistent. And in general I am just curious and want to learn about the community while maybe inspiring some discussion within it.

I don't think anyone could deny from the 100% puristic view that things like autorun and disabling vertical mouse movement are not vanilla features so technically they do count as tool assistance. Speedrunning of course doesn't necessarily need to 100% puristic so allowing many more modern QoL features even if they are unofficial (fan created) is fine if community agrees that it makes the game better speedrunning experience. Some speedrunning communites even may decide to alter the original game pretty radically with mods to make it more speedrunning friendly. As long as there are common rules used, any form of speedrunning is valid. There is technically nothing stopping me from starting a new form of Doom speedrunning that is separate from the standards and rules set by DSDA.

Setting those standards and rules can be tricky as there could always edge cases that defy the definitions written in to the rules. I think there should be discussion about those edge cases,no matter hypothetical they may be, to allow making the rules more solid and defined. Something like Turn180 key could function as a good example. It could very easily be seen as simple QoL feature that would greatly improve the experience of keyboard/controller players that is very minor change to the gameplay compared to many tools commonly used in tool assisted speedrunning. Turn180 key by itself is an edge case, it's automation being one step too far for many people while also being meaningless little hack when compared to actual TAS tools.

But there also could be some scenarios where the same effect that the Turn180 key could be gained ways that are much more in the gray area and maybe even more legit. Of course most obvious alternative could be using macros. Unless I am just being blind, the rules in the DSDA website do not seem state anything about using macros. That seems pretty strange to me and it does open alot of potential automation based edge cases.

Another edge case could be that some very obscure or highly specific control device could allow very fast and accurate 10 turn with less automation, maybe even purely by mechanical methods. Would there even be any point in banning Turn180 key if the very same thing would be possible specific control method that doesn't use any macros or other similar software tools.

Then we always do have options like nerfing Turn180 key when demo recording DSDA demos. Maybe make it be slower automated turn? There is basically almost no reason why Turn180 key must have instant effect. It could be easily balanced by being a real automated turn that is clearly faster than keyboard turning but slower than fast 180 mouse turn is on average. Basically something similar that Resident Evil 4 has and benefits would be pretty similar for keyboard only and controller players while allowing mouse turners to keep their advantage.

Where goes the line between making regular speedrunning better with extra tools and making tool assisted speedrun? Why is that line drawn there and not one step forward or one step back? What would happen if we would move that line one step forward or back? And what hypothetical scenarios would push us to move that line to any direction from where it is currently? Let's discuss!

Hello, hi. Why do you care if the 180key is banned if you're not a speedrunner? Your input becomes almost 0 immediately, this was pretty much discussed in the discord server as well. But thanks for participating

kek-bye.gif

PS: sorry in advance maribo :^)

53 minutes ago, Master Medi said:

Hello, hi. Why do you care if the 180key is banned if you're not a speedrunner? Your input becomes almost 0 immediately, this was pretty much discussed in the discord server as well. But thanks for participating

That feels to me alot like a personal attack and elitism. What would you prefer, me to come to the Discord to talk about about the 180key?

This thread is meant to be free from the iron grip of the "old guard" and be a place to talk about any "radical" ideas about speedrunning rules for both those that do speedrun and those that do not. This is about general Doom speedrunning, not just the little discord club that you are part of. I could become a speedrunner and basically as I implied earlier, I may even possibly create a new Doom speedrunning standard that is different and separate from DSDA.

This is a place for free exhange of ideas about what is regular doom speedrunning and what is tool assisted and why. I do not care about what DSDA does, I just care about what Doom speedrunning should do in general and want use my ideas as more casual player as springboard for broader rule discussion in general. So why be so hostile and ignore what I say even if I don't speedrun?

Edited by banjiepixel

It takes some balls to create a new thread pursuing the same point that got you flagged in the old thread. Doom's speedrunning community is tightly knit. That means your opinion shouldn't be invalidated but by the way you are presenting this, you are doomed (heh) to spark that debate, specifically because you want to be the plier that unknits that community.

Your choice of phrasing only enhances this impression.

2 hours ago, banjiepixel said:

First of all, I should state that I am not speedrunner myself but competitive gaming is pretty familiar to me in general and believe that the rules of competition should be well thought out and consistent.

They are consistent. You just disagree with it, which is strange considering you aren't part of the playing field.

Its like a bicycle mechanic telling a Indycar driver how they should drive.

There is technically nothing stopping me from starting a new form of Doom speedrunning that is separate from the standards and rules set by DSDA.

True, but your plan would carry little weight, because:

• You aren't a speedrunner.
  • You simply disagree with the rules setforth within DSDA

Turn180 key by itself is an edge case, it's automation being one step too far for many people while also being meaningless little hack when compared to actual TAS tools.

This is the choice of phrasing i refer to. You consider it a meaningless little hack, when others, people who actually are speedrunners and were part of the community in the late 90's. Turn180 has implications, however subtle or grotesque, that deserve further analysis as to how prevalent it was and or/if it was even recognized back then.

For you to say it is meaningless highlights exactly why your statements were seen for what they were: A derail, by someone who isn't not at terms with speedrunning of the Doom community.

>gets banned from a thread for clueless rant

>makes a new thread to continue said clueless rant

>refuses to elaborate further

Certified sigma male grindset