Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Major Arlene

FOXY DM | Zandronum UDMF Deathmatch Episode for Insanity DM [RC2]

Fantastic work so far Arlene! Glad to have tested and given feedback on these in the BFG Spam Squad sessions, and really glad to see InsanityDM used for making them! If you want classic Doom compatibility and therefore compatibility with other mods, there's still items like health and armor pickups that need changing from their Insanity variants to vanilla variants, otherwise they're shown as missing things.

For example, Tangential Garden uses specific non-randomized health pickups, mostly the Insanity medikit that only spawns a medikit every match. This specific medikit thing is not the same as the Doom 2 medikit. They have a different DoomEdNum, and so the Insanity medikit will be shown as a missing thing in classic DM/other mods.

The classic stimpack and medikit are still in InsanityDM's resource, they are just named "Health Spawners" because of their behavior in the mod. The vanilla stimpack is named "Health Spawner 1" and the vanilla medikit is "Health Spawner 2", both under Health and Armor. They still have the stimpack and medikit icons attached to them in the editor, indicating they replace the stimpack and medikit. Those are the ones you'd want to use for classic DM compatibility.

I noticed the armor bonuses are also missing on the map in classic DM, and that one is an error on my end, I apologize for that! The health and armor bonuses are the only items that are not randomized in the mod. What I did back in v1.2 was replace the classic Doom health and armor bonuses with the Insanity ones, and still stupidly gave them a different DoomEdNum, so in UDB they are listed twice with separate numbers which I didn't notice earlier.

I will remove those new DoomEdNums from the bonus pickups in the next version, because they already replace the vanilla ones and thus use the vanilla DoomEdNums. In the meantime you may fix Tangential Garden with the correct Armor Bonus thing, which should have a DoomEdNum of 2015.

Vamped also uses the InsanityDM Blue Armor on the cross bridge. This also has a different DoomEdNum than the classic Doom blue armor. For that you want to use "Heavy Armor Spawner" under Health and Armor. This one spawns the mod's Blue Armor, Red Armor, Purple Armor, or Super Armor. It also has the blue armor as an icon in UDB to indicate that it replaces the classic blue armor. Otherwise all things in Vamped seem to work in classic DM.

Urbanaut seems to be all classic Doom things so no need to fix anything there! Armor bonuses are also the correct ones so yay! I would still change the chainsaw on top of the marble gazebo thing to like a soulsphere (which is Powerup Spawner 4 in InsanityDM things).

I admit the indication on the random item spawners replacing the original Doom things is not immediately obvious, but that's why I made a MAPPER_README.txt inside InsanityDM's download file, which I'm constantly trying to update and make simpler every time I release an update to the mod. That text file even lists what spawners replace specific classic Doom items.

With all that said, the maps are all gorgeous and play extremely well! I can't wait to see your next few maps on this! Keep up the excellent work, and feel free to give further feedback or ask for help regarding InsanityDM as a mapping resource at any time!

Edited by Kaapeli47

Of the three maps, I prefer URB01. Unfortunately, it runs dag-slow on my box and I would

be annihilated if I ever joined a server running it (more than my usual beatdown). I also

like some of your light sprites, specifically D643A0 and D644A0. The BFG-exploding barrel

is a hoot as well. I'm curious to why you're using lookup in the MAPINFO when there's no

language lump.

1 hour ago, prfunky said:

Of the three maps, I prefer URB01. Unfortunately, it runs dag-slow on my box and I would

be annihilated if I ever joined a server running it (more than my usual beatdown). I also

like some of your light sprites, specifically D643A0 and D644A0. The BFG-exploding barrel

is a hoot as well. I'm curious to why you're using lookup in the MAPINFO when there's no

language lump.

Light sprites are from the Doom64 lights pack which can be found on Realm 667.

I have just always written my MAPINFO that way, there's no particular effect one way or the other afaik.

Update time!

- All maps now following the FOXY naming scheme. Foxy DM is now the official title of this set since I can't come up with anything cooler :P

- All maps should have vanilla-only item spawns for real now, so they can be played with any mod. I'll still impress the caveat that these maps are only being tested on Insanity DM and are being built with that in mind (i.e. they're larger to accommodate gibbing explosions and the crazy weapons).

- FOXY02 (Vamped) - the throne lift to the BFG/big weapon should now move faster.

- FOXY03 (Urbanaut) - crate textures updated to the new ones in FoxTex and a few more added for some sightline blocking.

- New map added (FOXY04 - Midnight Skinny Dip).

As always, feedback is appreciated.

Update!

-FOXY02-04 - now including the new FoxTex liquids

-FOXY04 - you can no longer fall out of windows and there's music now 

-FOXY05 - in progress!

Update:

- FOXY05 (Sakura Seppuku) added

- M_DOOM and INTERPIC/TITLEPIC added

- Removed unused/replaced OTEX textures

Update time!

We have reached RC1! Rather than try to push for 9 maps when I'd run low on ideas, I've decided to release 6 decent maps for this particular project and maybe I'll do another pack someday. I hope you guys enjoy, all info is in the OP. As always please report bugs, etc. Credits are in the PK3 but wanted to give a GIANT thank you to @Kaapeli47, @Xenaero, and @Bridgeburner56 for always being kind, giving advice, and organizing weekly sessions to make sure my maps were tested with a wide audience. And a huge thanks to the Hellforge community and co. for being supportive and playing these maps to make sure they were battle-ready.

Happy fragging!

It's cool to see people try their hand at deathmatch mapping, they play pretty well! I like the usages of lighting, something we don't often see in the classic DM packs.

Update to RC2:

-FOXY05 - one more attempt made to make the BFG room cyberdemons work

-FOXY06 - made the map smaller and got rid of the fog as it's hard to see through