Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rayziik

The Pilgrim's Westward Way - MBF21 Slaughter (MAP02 update - 2/22/2024)

For those interested, this is an incredible map and 100% worth your time. Highly recommend. Congrats on the release dude!

There was a small visual error in the RSK area, that has been fixed and the download link updated. It's nothing gameplay critical so don't worry about updating if you've started a play-through already.

A very unlikely, but still possible soft-lock was found. The download link has been updated again.

Impressive. The scale of these kinds of maps is something else, and to think it's only the first map. Good luck!

As I'm not much of a player I played with cheats and the blue key puzzle I didn't solve. But I walked around admiring the architecture.

Check out the plant boxes / whatever in the final arena. I could fall into the corner of one and there's no way out. Maybe block them with linedefs altogether?

On 6/13/2023 at 6:57 AM, slowfade said:

Impressive. The scale of these kinds of maps is something else, and to think it's only the first map. Good luck!

As I'm not much of a player I played with cheats and the blue key puzzle I didn't solve. But I walked around admiring the architecture.

Check out the plant boxes / whatever in the final arena. I could fall into the corner of one and there's no way out. Maybe block them with linedefs altogether?

Thanks.

Do you mean these decorative areas? (pic in spoiler)

Spoiler

EqvGXfpl.png

They're marked as player-blocking on all edges. Maybe you were no-clipping or using the wrong complevel?

Definitely no clipping cheat on. I tested again and I can drop into all four plant areas. Not from everywhere because the trees block, but each has a corner -- the corner where the stairs turn 90 degrees. I walk over the hedge and drop into the shrubs. Perhaps the complevel is the fault, then: I didn't set it, I just dragged and dropped the wad over prboom+. 

5 minutes ago, slowfade said:

Perhaps the complevel is the fault, then: I didn't set it, I just dragged and dropped the wad over prboom+. 

prboom+ doesn't support MBF21. You need a MBF21 compatible sourceport like DSDA-doom, woof, or gzdoom. Also you usually want to specify the complevel when launching, as many wads require certain complevel features be it boom, MBF or in this case MBF21.

Another minor update to map 01. Mostly some visual error fixes, and a couple minor changes to a few monster teleport destinations.

The download link has been updated again.

Edited by Rayziik

Hello there.

An update appears: this time bringing MAP02 into play. Alongside this, there is a a Prologue map that functions as the first map of the first episode. Returning Pilgrims may enjoy starting from the main menu, and entering the episode from here in order to preview a bit of the project's scope. A text screen follows this map as well, if you're interested in gathering lore.

MAP02 features many set-pieces based on concepts such as crowd control, crossfire, overwhelming a static player, position awareness and spacing, and some platforming. There's also 4 secret encounters for those who explore everything.

Enjoy.

Due to new features and MAPINFO support having been added into DSDA-Doom, it is highly recommended that you update to Version 0.27.0 or newer.

=  Downloads:

The Pilgrim's Westward Way - Map 02 (1/14/2024) • Mirror

Edited by Rayziik

Oops, quick update to fix a few stupid mistakes I didn't catch. If you've started playing already you probably won't find them unless you try to break stuff or you get very unlucky, and there's a few visual things that I fixed as well. The worst issue was a bug at the start of map 02 that affects a later fight and I didn't use the right text on map 03 for the preview... That's what I get for not double checking.

Same links for the download. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Cool map. As I'm not a good player I just breezed through with cheats, heh. Better players ought to have fun with it.

Another update, this time a bit of work for both MAP01 and MAP02.

Some of the most important bits:

-Added ambient sounds, and added more to 01 and 02 depending on location

-Adjusted some linedef action parameters in 01 (examples: a switch that didn't make noises, and a lowering floor that was too slow)

-Removed some redundant/incorrect mid-textures

-Fixed a couple very unintentional softlock scenarios in some of the secrets on 02

-Added a new set of sprites to represent the full-health restoring Rejuvenation Sphere in 02

-Fixed some grammatical errors in secret texts on both maps

-Fixed/changed some of the intermission texts

-Adjusted the midi on 02 so that it takes longer to repeat and adjusted the mix for easier listening

And otherwise there's some behind the scenes changes that just make things run a bit smoother and fix a few visual errors, again.

With all that taken care of, special thanks to @Vile and @brendondle for their play-throughs of MAP02, which enabled me to discover and fix a lot of things afterwards.

Now to start working on MAP03 proper...

Remember to update to at least version 0.27.0 of DSDA-Doom!

=  Downloads:

The Pilgrim's Westward Way - Map 02 (1/14/2024) • Mirror

Awesome stuff, this gotta end up high in many all-time slaughter favourites lists! 🔥

I'm not sure this is something worth fixing anyhow but in Map02 I ended up in crusher fight without BFG. Feels almost impossible this way.

The only reason this happened is because I didn't come close to BFG pedestal earlier because I thought I must finish other fights for pedestal to lower.

Anyway, Map02 is brilliant and I enjoyed pretty much every single fight, also those texts... 🤌