Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cartel

Do you guys read the text messages in Doom wads?

I'm nearly done with my megawad but I can't decide whether or not I want to add those little messages that appear at certain parts throughout the wad. I just don't think it's worth the time because I don't think people really read them. 

I read them but it's not like I have ever faulted a wad for not adding their own. If you're not interested don't feel you need to add them.

I think people read them if theyre different from the default standard intermission text from Doom II. Otherwise if they begin the same most people skip it I believe

Some pwad, even good ones, take it too far.

I can endure up to 3 lines of introductory text. Any more than that

and I have to load the pwad in an editor to see if there are more

maps and then start the game with the next map.

5 hours ago, Vanilla+Unicorn said:

Why not?

If there's a custom text, then it's meant to be read.

It's mean't to be read, sure, but how many people actually read them, though? I'm having issues with the last Ctext. It keeps showing up after the secret map is found when it should have popped up before. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, all the other Ctext messages show up correctly. So I'm debating whether I should scrape it all together out of laziness. I've been working on this 32-map megawad for 7 years. At this point, I just to be done with it. 

I read them but no biggie if they aren't in there. I think it's more useful if you want to use it to lightly tell a story to go with your level flow but it feels like flair and not a mandatory thing.

On 11/30/2023 at 12:17 AM, Cartel said:

I'm nearly done with my megawad ...

usually "yes" for something around 3 short sentences.

I mostly read the intermission texts, with some rare exceptions when it's really too dense.

Sometimes, when you don't read, you can miss a nice joke (i'm thinking about the secret levels intermission texts of Going Down).

8 hours ago, rita remton said:

usually "yes" for something around 3 short sentences.

Curious. Would you think less of a wad if there weren't intermission messages?

7 hours ago, Cartel said:

Curious. Would you think less of a wad if there weren't intermission messages?

not at all. i play doom because i want to kill monsters in some beautiful surroundings, not to read lines after lines of text.

Edited by rita remton