Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cacodoomonic

100% Vanilla Doom mapping - floor instant death?

Question

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible but I really need it to be so I'm gonna ask anyway. Is it possible to set a floor sector to INSTANT DEATH if the player touches it in 100% vanilla DOOM IN DOOM II Format? I have done this millions of times in UDMF but I've never needed to use it in a vanilla project before. I've just recently noticed that despite having floor damage sectors, there doesn't seem to be one for instadeath. 

Is there a way to pull this off? Even with a little trickery?

17 answers to this question

You can try to make teleport into the chamber with voodoo doll, so you would telefrag it and instantly kill yourself, it works in vanilla, for example - MAP30 in TNT Evilution used this trick.

Linedef-activated triggers like the ones previously mentioned are viable options, but there is another way if you specifically want to kill the player once they touch the floor or if your map structure makes the linedef-activated options less viable. Behold!

InstaDeath.zip

The DeHackEd patch included with (and also in) this wad turns the Commander Keen into a fast-moving invincible enemy that kills you very rapidly once it wakes up: it's functionally very similar to STRAIN's unused Decompression Daemon, albeit unable to fly. The trick to making it work is to have the Commander Keen replacement view the player only once they touch down on the designated killing floor: as you can see in the example, I accomplished this by placing them in a 16-height sector outside of the traversable part of the map so they weren't able to see the player on sectors higher than the killing floor. It's not completely foolproof, but it works pretty well should you build around it sufficiently enough.

45 minutes ago, Obsidian said:

Linedef-activated triggers like the ones previously mentioned are viable options, but there is another way if you specifically want to kill the player once they touch the floor or if your map structure makes the linedef-activated options less viable. Behold!

InstaDeath.zip

The DeHackEd path included with (and also in) this wad turns the Commander Keen into a fast-moving invincible enemy that kills you very rapidly once it wakes up: it's functionally very similar to STRAIN's unused Decompression Daemon, albeit unable to fly. The trick to making it work is to have the Commander Keen replacement view the player only once they touch down on the designated killing floor: as you can see in the example, I accomplished this by placing them in a 16-height sector outside of the traversable part of the map so they weren't able to see the player on sectors higher than the killing floor. It's not completely foolproof, but it works pretty well should you build around it sufficiently enough.

This is an interesting method. I just tried it out and then gave it a little look under the hood. Your DehackED file says it uses both the SS NAZI (Thing 24) and also Commander Keen (Thing 25). Is the Nazi usage completely necessary in this method? Only I did have plans to replace the Nazi with a new monster. This isn't completely important though, just wanted to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

Just now, Cacodoomonic said:

This is an interesting method. I just tried it out and then gave it a little look under the hood. Your DehackED file says it uses both the SS NAZI (Thing 24) and also Commander Keen (Thing 25). Is the Nazi usage completely necessary in this method? Only I did have plans to replace the Nazi with a new monster. This isn't completely important though, just wanted to make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

The initial version replaced the Wolfenstein SS, but then I found out that its attack sounds are hard-coded into the game and for some reason play when they engage in any sort of melee attack: as such, the player's death was accompanied by a backing track of rapid shotgun blasts. :P I swapped it to the Commander Keen for the sake of expediency, but this kind of setup can be accomplished quite easily using other resources if you're looking to replace the Wolfenstein SS with something else.

2 hours ago, Vanilla+Unicorn said:

You can try to make teleport into the chamber with voodoo doll, so you would telefrag it and instantly kill yourself, it works in vanilla, for example - MAP30 in TNT Evilution used this trick.

Oh yeah, I remember that map with the hidden pathway with the candles as a colour code. So, doing it this way, it would require using a second "player1 start" right? Issue is, whenever I try this, it becomes the default player 1 start for some reason meaning the player begins at that point. I'm not entirely sure why.

21 minutes ago, Cacodoomonic said:

Oh yeah, I remember that map with the hidden pathway with the candles as a colour code. So, doing it this way, it would require using a second "player1 start" right? Issue is, whenever I try this, it becomes the default player 1 start for some reason meaning the player begins at that point. I'm not entirely sure why.

Because the last player start placed becomes the player start the game uses. Just switch the places of the player starts.

15 minutes ago, Stabbey said:

Because the last player start placed becomes the player start the game uses. Just switch the places of the player starts.

Ah.. yeah that makes sense. Okay thanks!

4 hours ago, Kappes Buur said:

Probably the only way would be with some sort of contraption by activating a crusher or floor action to kill a voodoo doll.

If I recall, Eternal does this in some of the Epic 2 maps. Using MAP14 as an example, there's a number of instadeath moments such as if you fall into the void of space in a few locations, or if you attempt to fall down a long shaft without raising the elevator first. A few of the other space maps in that set also have lasers that if you touch them you are instakilled and this mechanic is done by yes, activating a crusher in one dummy sector to blow up a barrel, pushing a voodoo doll into a teleport line to telefrag another voodoo doll.

If one were to map for GZDoom, then instant death would be a simple task,

just set a sector to 115 instand death.

No need for mapping hacks.

9 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

If one were to map for GZDoom, then instant death would be a simple task,

just set a sector to 115 instand death.

No need for mapping hacks.

...why even bring that up? The OP states that they've done this in UDMF numerous times already and is looking to accomplish it in vanilla.

I'd say check out Requiem's MAP 21? One section of the map has you falling in a pit and then, some teleporting trickery happens and kills you instantly. I'd advise to check that map out to find out a way you could do that.

This is also possible without a monster replacement by having a player voodoo doll telefrag another voodoo doll. For the initial impulse you can use a barrel. But this method requires a linedef crossing instead of a sector touch (unless you time it just right).

Okay after experimenting around a bit, I found the solution that seemed to work best is the TNT method. What it is, I had these massive rock platforms floating in Hell (think like DOOM 3) with no floor just an endless void of HELL. If the player falls off, they are to die. Previously, I actually made the linedefs impassable which was pretty horrible, since the player kept getting stuck on invisible walls which lead to monster projectiles killing them while they tried to dodge these invisible barriers. It felt horrid. 

So I added teleport linedefs all around the rock sectors that teleport to a telefrag room and a voodoo doll resulting in an instant death. Seemed to work the best in this instance. But you do have to be very careful with how you move now, even a slight overstep in telefrag death. But then, that's the point. I don't want the player to be walking around an invisible floor in a void in Hell.