Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Li'l devil

The worst door in all of Doom

This door in Memento Mori 2 map 07 is bugged and it annoyed me. For some reason it just refuses to open normally. 9 times out of 10 it opens only partway through, not enough for player to walk through. And interestingly, every time it opens up to a different height. How could the mapper screw up a door so badly? I looked in UDB and it seems normal.

nugg0000.png?ex=657e5a91&is=656be591&hm=

You can post your candidates for the worst doors ever in Doom if you want.

The Doom Wiki article explains that the door follows the height of a crusher, and that's why the height keeps changing. You can repeatedly open and close it until it reaches the right height, or avoid triggering the crusher (see the "Bugs" section of the article). Amusing that the map is titled "Frustration."

So it was deliberate? Entire map was named after deliberately gimmicky door?

And as usual I didn't bother reading the wiki because "who would want to write about such unimportant things, right?". Although it's Memento Mori 2, a popular wad, should've known.

Edited by Li'l devil

Now imagine being stuck with half a dozen other players impatiently hammering Use on it simultanously! That was a fun night in Odamex :).

I always thought this map was called Frustration because you start in sight of the exit and are only blocked from it by a low ceiling. I do not think the door named the map. [...] I must have gleaned that from the infopack, which the wiki quotes.

It is not the first example, there was an earlier one in E1M5 (Return to Phobos).

Interesting. There is a door in A.L.T. map 02 which looks broken and also needs several tries to open. Guess that's what was happening.

8 hours ago, Shepardus said:

The Doom Wiki article explains that the door follows the height of a crusher, and that's why the height keeps changing. You can repeatedly open and close it until it reaches the right height, or avoid triggering the crusher (see the "Bugs" section of the article). Amusing that the map is titled "Frustration."

About the Bugs section, can someone show me a demo? The linedef being 16 unit long, I think this is incorrect.

On 12/3/2023 at 10:55 AM, vdgg said:

About the Bugs section, can someone show me a demo? The linedef being 16 unit long, I think this is incorrect.

Yeah it's a bit poorly written, a linedef skip would be needed anyway since the linedef is too short.