Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grungo

What would happen if Doom was made into a lincensed Aliens game

Grungo hear Doom was gonna be lincensed Aliens game, but wasn't and was made it's own thing. What would doom be if ID accepted Aliens offer and Doom was just Aliens?

*Clears throat ready to speak perfect caveman"

In opinion my it be would like freedoom alot

if you know dont freedoom

freedom = community iwad for doom that is free but is no like doom original

also doomworld tip: try to no post alot on doomworld, otherwise it is spam and spam bad is

Just now, Patrick_Plays_Doom said:

also doomworld tip: try to no post alot on doomworld, otherwise it is spam and spam bad is

Grungo understand now, Grungo will take break now... Grungo has Games to play to Keep Grungo company bye bye now

The game might have still been good, but given how Fox/20th Century has been handling its IPs over the years, we would have most likely been worse off, as it would have probably meant no source code release and thus no community to keep the game alive for so long.

One only has to take a look at a game like Alien Trilogy to see how things would have turned out: the game was released after Doom and Doom II took the gaming world by storm - so the executives had to be fully aware of the potential - and yet it got none of what made Doom so enduring.

Edited by Rudolph

2 hours ago, Patrick_Plays_Doom said:

I don't really understand the connection between the two, could you explain? Also Fred Flintstone here has a grand total of 18 posts in three days. Posting often (although 18 posts in three days isn't even a lot at all) is participation, not spam. It only becomes spam when your posts are worthless and annoying.

59 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I don't really understand the connection between the two, could you explain? Also Fred Flintstone here has a grand total of 18 posts in three days. Posting often (although 18 posts in three days isn't even a lot at all) is participation, not spam. It only becomes spam when your posts are worthless and annoying.

Grungo learn that fox tribe offered ID to make their game a Aliens themed game, but ID declined and their own thing, which led to, Doom.

1 hour ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I don't really understand the connection between the two

well in my opinion the monsters in freedoom kinda look more alien also

1 hour ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

(although 18 posts in three days isn't even a lot at all

yes but just in case to any new doomworld member

to confirm heres a edited note (in caveman-ish):

"my opinion = freedoom look like game by a diffrent software which is what actually is so that is why i said

Edited by Patrick_Plays_Doom

2 hours ago, Patrick_Plays_Doom said:

well in my opinion the monsters in freedoom kinda look more alien also

yes but just in case to any new doomworld member

to confirm heres a edited note (in caveman-ish):

"my opinion = freedoom look like game by a diffrent software which is what actually is so that is why i said

Out of curiosity, which Alien movies did you see?

Also, Doom's lore offered Id Software a lot more flexibility and creativity when it came to the bestiary. There is only so much you can do with purely melee monsters and the Alien games have been generally unwilling to introduce new breeds that could believably fill different roles. I know Alien Trilogy features humans enemies, but the justification for them was pretty flimsy and that is not why people play Alien games to begin with.

Edited by Rudolph

They could've had aliens that spit acid, and androids that do the hitscanning, facehuggers that could move and attack similar to lost souls - it would've been pretty cool, if you think about it.  

Also, remember that Aliencame out the year before, and it would be feasible that they take lore elements from all three movies to create the world and the monsters.  

Plus the fact that they'd presumably be working closely with movie studio executives, who of course would meet John Romero and see his leading-man looks and most likely kick-start his Hollywood acting career.  Alas, not to be

probably still be technologically innovative but i think the gameplay wouldnt be as exciting with all the enemy archetypes, as  as i reckon the modding scene would be more TA focused. I'd also imagine that the engine would have probably been licensed a lot more extensively and we'd be remembering some other fps as the most hardfore fps of the 90s. Maybe id would have eventually created their own IP, possibly called DooM with the supernatural theme in mind.

The Doom setting allows pretty much anything and everything as far as map design is concerned. From realistic to abstract, from mundane to fantasy, from futuristic to ancient... The Aliens setting is a lot more constrained. You couldn't justify works like Lullaby or Eviternity in Aliens, but they fit right in Doom because everything can fit in Doom.

Replying to the start-post:

I think that in this case Doom would lose its originality and uniqueness. Thank heavens that Doom is DOOM!

It would probably still be a good game, albeit with much more restricted themes. Another thing that makes Doom still alive today is the source code being open source. Considering this is a licensed game with not so simple agreements between companies, id's probably never considered making their engine open source. Heretic, Hexen and others may still happen though.

Edited by lokbustam257