Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JustAGuy

(In Development) Doom II's Bumimanusia 2 : Hell on the Rice Fields

Posted (edited)

doom2.png.ff09b636a3bee0ba92f96156bd0a84bc.png
So, this is first attempt to create a 16 map wad, not my first wad file.

Currently, I've finished 3 out of the 16 maps. Any suggestions you guys have? Any kinds of critique is accepted here(no matter how harsh)! :p

Screenshots:

Spoiler

772035639_Screenshot2024-03-24214634.png.f10c3a2ab721eadc8386d0f71fd11389.pngimage.png.c8d7fcf613bfeb664e756a7c0a0a162a.pngimage.png.b08057caeb04f81fc49048bc3866ee6b.pngimage.png.f7eb2caad04208539aec819517bea6db.png

Here's the first three map demo bumimanusia2threemapdemo.zip

Edited by JustAGuy : changed the logo

Do you have anything we could download and play to give proper critiques? Seeing videos and images aren't enough to get a proper opinion on these types of works, imo

Wah ada orang Indo baru lagi yah? Salken salken

Okay, let me see... Judging by the gameplay vid, it seems you didn't lower unpeg the door sides, and it's important to do since it makes them look more like natural door sides by not moving along with the door.

On the other side, while simplistic, I like some of the Doomcute architecture of the house. The outside field, however, feels far too empty. You can perhaps add a few more things, not necessarily more enemies, but also other decorations, obstacles, and even items.

Also, may I know what port this is supposed to be made for?

Yeah, the house map is the best part, MAP01 looks like Mock 2 "speedrunners nightmare" map.

Theme idea Is hilarious.

43 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

Yeah, the house map is the best part, MAP01 looks like Mock 2 "speedrunners nightmare" map.

Theme idea Is hilarious.

Thanks! The story is just about a farmer who's rice field got mauled by the armies of hell because, well, yeah.

1 hour ago, taufan99 said:

Wah ada orang Indo baru lagi yah? Salken salken

Okay, let me see... Judging by the gameplay vid, it seems you didn't lower unpeg the door sides, and it's important to do since it makes them look more like natural door sides by not moving along with the door.

On the other side, while simplistic, I like some of the Doomcute architecture of the house. The outside field, however, feels far too empty. You can perhaps add a few more things, not necessarily more enemies, but also other decorations, obstacles, and even items.

Also, may I know what port this is supposed to be made for?

I used ZDoom while testing this wad and yeah, i do know the outside feels really empty. What should i add for the outside so it feels much more alive?  

6 minutes ago, JustAGuy said:

I used ZDoom while testing this wad and yeah, i do know the outside feels really empty. What should i add for the outside so it feels much more alive?  

I suggest you add a few muddy sections, perhaps even a small hut (or any other kind of tiny- to mid-sized building), a few of those dry Hell trees, or just about anything else you could think of whenever you hear about Southeast Asian rice farmers. Given that you're using (G)ZDoom, the sky's the limit, but consider your own mapping skill(s) as well.

2 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

I suggest you add a few muddy sections, perhaps even a small hut (or any other kind of tiny- to mid-sized building), a few of those dry Hell trees, or just about anything else you could think of whenever you hear about Southeast Asian rice farmers. Given that you're using (G)ZDoom, the sky's the limit, but consider your own mapping skill(s) as well.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try to improve Map 02 and Map 03 before I'll release the 3 map sneak peek.

1 minute ago, JustAGuy said:

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try to improve Map 02 and Map 03 before I'll release the 3 map sneak peek.

If you don't mind, you can also take a look at other maps for some inspiration. Since there are too many to list out there, you can start with reading the Wadazine to take a good look at some recommendations (totally not a shameless self-advertisement as a contributor!).

Posted (edited)

Limit-Removing or Boom compatible maps can be good alternative map type if you wanna your map not dependent with only GZDoom sourceport. Otherwise, just use GZDoom I guess.

3 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

If you don't mind, you can also take a look at other maps for some inspiration. Since there are too many to list out there, you can start with reading the Wadazine to take a good look at some recommendations (totally not a shameless self-advertisement as a contributor!).

Or Cacoward List

5 minutes ago, Rykzeon said:

Limit-Removing or Boom compatible maps can be good alternative map type if you wanna your map not dependent with only GZDoom sourceport. Otherwise, just use GZDoom I guess.

Or Cacoward List

Absolutely. I got a few inspirations directly from Chex Quest 3, city levels of Doom II and myhouse.wad.

Posted (edited)

Oh wow.

Finally met a bunch of fellow Indonesian Doom modders here 🎊.

Wait so i'm not the only one?

3 minutes ago, Doom64guy said:

Oh wow.

Finally met a bunch of fellow Indonesian Doom modders here 🎊.

0_0

13 minutes ago, JustAGuy said:

Wait so i'm not the only one?

0_0

@taufan99 and me are mappers. At least we have released a map somewhere, either standalone or as contribution of someone's mapset.

Alright. The demo's ready

23 hours ago, JustAGuy said:

logo2.png.a6184f182844a982c732105affac272c.png
So, this is first attempt to create a 16 map wad, not my first wad file.

Currently, I've finished 2 out of the 16 maps. Any suggestions you guys have? Any kinds of critique is accepted here(no matter how harsh)! :p

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

772035639_Screenshot2024-03-24214634.png.f10c3a2ab721eadc8386d0f71fd11389.pngimage.png.c8d7fcf613bfeb664e756a7c0a0a162a.pngimage.png.b08057caeb04f81fc49048bc3866ee6b.pngimage.png.f7eb2caad04208539aec819517bea6db.png

. I've only implemented the Ultra Violence difficulty.

The only quite obvious mistake (as the wad is still in development) is the door sides (DOORTRAK texture) aren't lower unpegged (the texture anchored at ceiling).
anomaly.gif?ex=661407fe&is=660192fe&hm=9

Usually, DOORTRAK texture isn't moving upwards and downwards like this, DOORTRAK linedefs are lower unpegged (which means it's anchored at floor):
lower_unpegged.gif?ex=66140706&is=660192

How to fix:

Spoiler

1) Select the doorsides
image.png?ex=66140863&is=66019363&hm=649
2) Tick "Lower unpegged" box
image.png?ex=661403c8&is=66018ec8&hm=1e0

1 hour ago, Rykzeon said:

@taufan99 and me are mappers. At least we have released a map somewhere, either standalone or as contribution of someone's mapset.

I didn't map anything yet.

But if I do, it'll be the less-used engines (i.e. Doom 64, HacX, Strife, or even Final Doom and Chex Quest).

18 minutes ago, Rykzeon said:

The only quite obvious mistake (as the wad is still in development) is the door sides (DOORTRAK texture) aren't lower unpegged (the texture anchored at ceiling).
anomaly.gif?ex=661407fe&is=660192fe&hm=9

Usually, DOORTRAK texture isn't moving upwards and downwards like this, DOORTRAK linedefs are lower unpegged (which means it's anchored at floor):
lower_unpegged.gif?ex=66140706&is=660192

How to fix:

Reveal hidden contents

1) Select the doorsides
image.png?ex=66140863&is=66019363&hm=649
2) Tick "Lower unpegged" box
image.png?ex=661403c8&is=66018ec8&hm=1e0

Ooooh... So that's why it's odd every time i tried to make a door. Thanks! 

Apart from repeating what @Rykzeon said, I'd also like to give my thoughts on your 3-map demo.

• I'd suggest that you avoid giving the SSG earlier on. Or, if you still want to do so, balance it by giving out at least a few tougher enemies such as a bunch of pinky demons/spectres or hell knights.
  • Perhaps make the friendly dog in MAP02 actually get out to help you fight the enemies. I find it unfortunate that our doggo friend didn't get to get down the stairs, let alone fight alongside you.
  • Throw in some more enemy variations, don't just rely on low-level hitscanners alone. Two barons, a gazillion zombiemen and shotgunners wouldn't be enough, especially on UV.
  • Make the boundary areas much less rectangular and add some more height variation(s). You can experiment on this one to find out which one sticks.
  • A few more health items wouldn't hurt, especially in maps dominated by hitscanners. Doesn't have to be medikits, some stimpacks or even single health bonuses count too in UV.
  • Indonesian text may be good to attract fellow Indonesians like us, but given that most Doomworld users speak English, consider making a separate English version or at least add an option to switch between Indonesian or English (pretty sure GZDoom has that feature).

Also, if you don't mind, I'll help make a logo for this mapset one of these days. Nothing exactly eye-catching, but at least it could avoid giving an impression of a low-effort trollwad among non-Indonesians.

Posted (edited)

Here are my feedbacks:

Spoiler

MAP01:
- My first playthrough is running clueless at player start because I didn't see the door. Maybe player should start facing towards the door (facing north) and perhaps change the door texture.

MAP02:
- The house rooms feels cramped, in my opinion. Perhaps widen the rooms and add more height?
- The house also feels flat. Perhaps add Doomcute? You can check Going Down MAP30 for example.
- Perhaps add windows as well.
image.png?ex=66140f0d&is=66019a0d&hm=54f
Going Down, MAP30

MAP03:
- There is some misalignment texture, like the door near player start. You can correct them by pointing + towards the texture and press Arrows Keys or Shift+Arrow Keys while in 3D mode. You can also automatically align textures with pressing A key while in 3D mode (don't forget to point the texture you wanna auto-align).
- Treat textures as it is actual material building. For example, instead of this (jarring half-cut stone block)
image.png?ex=66140dde&is=660198de&hm=d7d
... you do this instead
image.png?ex=66140e2b&is=6601992b&hm=1d6

Combat is flat. Maybe add Chaingunners and some challenges like hit & run or hit & hide. Add secrets too.

Since this is still in development, I realize these maps can be just sketches that will be detailed later. Gonna look forward for it.

Edited by Rykzeon

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

Apart from repeating what @Rykzeon said, I'd also like to give my thoughts on your 3-map demo.

• I'd suggest that you avoid giving the SSG earlier on. Or, if you still want to do so, balance it by giving out at least a few tougher enemies such as a bunch of pinky demons/spectres or hell knights.
  • Perhaps make the friendly dog in MAP02 actually get out to help you fight the enemies. I find it unfortunate that our doggo friend didn't get to get down the stairs, let alone fight alongside you.
  • Throw in some more enemy variations, don't just rely on low-level hitscanners alone. Two barons, a gazillion zombiemen and shotgunners wouldn't be enough, especially on UV.
  • Make the boundary areas much less rectangular and add some more height variation(s). You can experiment on this one to find out which one sticks.
  • A few more health items wouldn't hurt, especially in maps dominated by hitscanners. Doesn't have to be medikits, some stimpacks or even single health bonuses count too in UV.
  • Indonesian text may be good to attract fellow Indonesians like us, but given that most Doomworld users speak English, consider making a separate English version or at least add an option to switch between Indonesian or English (pretty sure GZDoom has that feature).

Also, if you don't mind, I'll help make a logo for this mapset one of these days. Nothing exactly eye-catching, but at least it could avoid giving an impression of a low-effort trollwad among non-Indonesians.

Thanks for the tips! I forgot to change the text since it would be a full on English language mapset. And yes i also acknowledge the dog problem since i started making Map 02. Poor dog can't experience some carnage. Finally, i don't mind if you help me improve logo. Better safe than sorry! 

Just tried out the map. Good storyline so far (made me chuckle a bit, heh, "zomblo"), but there's definitely room for improvements... 

Coincidentally, since the name of the levels and the texts is in Indonesian, I also tried using the Malay translation pack that I made (which is still in-development as of now) when playing the wad, which fits really well!

Can't wait for the next itteration! Also, salam dari negara jiran aka Malaysia

So I made a quickie logo. Feel free to let me know if you need a revision or anything else.

Spoiler

20240326-113514.png

Fonts used: Bawor Regular, g_brushtappitsu_freeH

Posted (edited)

Decided to play the WAD, this was quite "eh". No offense.

Overall, the maps need a liitle more variety in terms of combat and visuals, have some hills or mountains in the outdoor areas would be cool. Making MAP03 look a lot more like actual ricefields would be a lot more interesting rather than just 5012x5012 flat grass area filled with Zomblos and Barons. But since this is just a demo, I hope the released version is more fleshed out.

The CREDIT lump is missing, and thus it showed a blank screen (I don't know why would GZDoom not use the default CREDIT lump if they're missing):

stuff.png.6a6b4516c9d654de32629c2f2c65d656.png

Spoiler

sekarang kita tau kalau ada lebih dari 5 orang indo di sini, kapan kita bakal bikin Indonesian Community Project? eksdee

Edited by lokbustam257

3 hours ago, lokbustam257 said:

sekarang kita tau kalau ada lebih dari 5 orang indo di sini, kapan kita bakal bikin Indonesian Community Project? eksdee

gas lah skuy, kapan lagi
malay mungkin boleh join, kalo playerbasenya juga masih dikit

7 hours ago, lokbustam257 said:

The CREDIT lump is missing, and thus it showed a blank screen (I don't know why would GZDoom not use the default CREDIT lump if they're missing):

It's not missing, but rather it exists in the form of a text lump. Here's what it says (slight profanity ahead, you've been warned!);

Spoiler

/*
Bumimanusia 2 : Hell on the Rice Fields (motherfuckers)
Created by Man in the Rice Fields (motherduckers)
i forgot where did i get the midis :\
 *\

(PS. MAP01's MIDI is from Wolfenstein 3D, MAP02's is from somewhere else I don't know either, and MAP03's is Untitled from the first Doom game, which appears in both E2M9 and E3M1.)

Spoiler

Fun fact: Nash Muhandes is Malaysian and there's at least one another Malaysian I recall on Doomworld, whose username starts with Zero, even though they're not Zero Master for sure.

Anyway, while we're at it, let's talk somewhere else so as not to "hijack" this thread and the mapset.