Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It really kicked off during the summer time, but now it's going a bit slow.
Just read the previous couple of pages of this thread for more details.
If you're willing to help us out then just contact DarkHaven.
I'm sure he'll be very happy.

Relax, the "X" has nothing to do with any rating systems.
In fact, "X-DOOM" is not even going to be the actual title of the finished WAD. It's only a temporary codename.

All so true. :)

Also, "Good news everyone!Several years ago I tried to log on to AOL and it finally came through!"

XDoom is back under development after a long rest, and my mapping skillz have gotten a bit better, and I'm currently whipping up E2M7, inspired by the RoTT map, "The Fourth Door". DarkJedi, I'm sure you know of this interesting map, right? :)

Oh, and I'll be sending everyone the WAD later today (Nov. 23). Check your mail a little later!

EDIT: Sent.

Darkhaven said:

I'm currently whipping up E2M7, inspired by the RoTT map, "The Fourth Door". DarkJedi, I'm sure you know of this interesting map, right? :)

Yes, of course I know that map. How could I not know it? lol.
And thanks for sending the update.
Hopefully, if all goes as planned, I'll send you a slightly updated version of E2M5 at some point during the Christmas holdiays.

I was just wondering, is the point of the maps made to feel like they were made in 1993? While this might be historically accurate for the project I really feel there is no point making a mod/map worse for a reason like that.

DarkJedi188 said:

Relax, the "X" has nothing to do with any rating systems.
In fact, "X-DOOM" is not even going to be the actual title of the finished WAD. It's only a temporary codename.

Let me guess...D-Doom. HA!

Nick Perrin said:

I was just wondering, is the point of the maps made to feel like they were made in 1993? While this might be historically accurate for the project I really feel there is no point making a mod/map worse for a reason like that.

Why does the map suddenly become worse if it doesn't look as detailed as RTC-3057? Doom is far better than GTA:SA and GTA:SA looks better.

This is why I made my maps underdetailed, because I wanted to prove that it doesn't have to look like Doom3 to play just as good.

Oh, and Hexploit, be careful what you call your mom.

HeXploiT said:

Let me guess...D-Doom. HA!

Nope. That's not the title either. Look at the previous pages of this thread for a listing of possible real titles.

And Nick, I don't know about the styles of the other mappers on this team, but my E2M5 for this mod is going to be built in roughly the same style as my Demon Abundance DOOM2 maps.

Darkhaven said:
Why does the map suddenly become worse if it doesn't look as detailed as RTC-3057? Doom is far better than GTA:SA and GTA:SA looks better.

That comparison blows. you could have atleast said doom 3.

Captain Red said:

That comparison blows. you could have atleast said doom 3.

Haha... No. It's absolutely true that ****** sucks gigantic hairy gorilla balls, there's nothing I can do about that.

EDIT: I'm not calling it by it's true name. It doesn't deserve that kind of respect.

EDIT: Also, DarkJedi, something you may like: I now have a complete collection of all the ROTT Midis that were used (and not used) in the game, including "SUCKTHIS" and "FASTWAY". PM me if you're interested... ;)

Also, E4M1 (in dev) will use SUCKTHIS.

Darkhaven said:

This is why I made my maps underdetailed, because I wanted to prove that it doesn't have to look like Doom3 to play just as good.

Yes, but the maps I played in the example wad were horribly underdetailed. And detail makes a map more fun to play because its nicer on the eyes. So make gameplay first, then add detail.

Darkhaven said:
Haha... No. It's absolutely true that Grand Theft Auto : San Andreas sucks gigantic hairy gorilla balls, there's nothing I can do about that.

Don’t you just hate writing on black boards with cheese? And Doesn’t Chalk taste lousy on pizza?

Darkhaven said:

I now have a complete collection of all the ROTT Midis that were used (and not used) in the game, including "SUCKTHIS" and "FASTWAY" ;)

That's superb!
If it is possible for you to zip all those MIDIs into one file which is slightly under 5MB, then I'd be glad to receive this stuff in my e-mail anytime any day :)

Nick Perrin said:

Yes, but the maps I played in the example wad were horribly underdetailed.

Some mappers tend to add the detail at the very very end of everything, once they finish their "rough sketches".
While other mappers, such as myself, tend to add the detail bit by bit as they move along the job.
Use IDCLEV and warp to E2M5....It hopefully shouldn't seem as underdetailed as the rest of the maps in the sample WAD.

I am bumping this topic for the very good reason that XDooM (or whatever it's gonna be called) is not finished and I want it to be because it looks awesome. Please don't hurt me.

Pika,
I can assure you that the leader of our project is so motivated that he WILL have it finished one way or the other, no matter if it takes 2 years, or 3 years, etc...

Yeah, I can assure you as DarkJedi did, Pika132... I am very motivated, now that I have a complete collection of each Doom1 Alpha in existance! :P

Also, progress has been moving at an extremely quick pace, now that I have each Doom Alpha that ever existed (as I said before), and I'm noticing that there was just an assload of stuff that was great looking, but sadly never made it into the final version of the game, like the heartbeat sensor on the HUD of Alpha 0.2, or like E1M17 of Alpha 0.3 (I don't even remember how I got that abomination to run in WinXP)

And a few notes:
-I might add the score system like the Press release.
-If I don't have the score system, I'll have something set up so that bonus items are good for something towards the end of the TC/PC.
-The "Santa's BFG" that was present in the Press release is being considered.
-Same thing with "Santa's Plasmagun".
-A version of the "Refueling Base" as seen in Doom2 may be present, considering it was in Doom Alpha 0.4.
-The "original" drafts of the Alpha maps are being considered. They may appear in the final version, cleaned and polished.

I’ve got great news for you, Darkhaven!
Due to the fact that there was lots of spare time during the Xmas holidays, I have managed to complete approximately 70% of E2M5.
All of the door keys are now perfectly accessible. (Players just need to find the teleports/triggers, etc. in order to get them.)
I’ve finally replaced that ugly ASHWALL texture with some of the newly imported textures that were found in the XDOOM.WAD which I received from you some time ago.
Overall, it should seem much more appealing now.
In order to run through the map and see everything properly, you’ll obviously have to launch it together with XDOOM :)
The map is now slightly over 200k in size. Here’s the technical stats:

# of Things: 339
# of Verticies: 1542
# of LineDefs: 1880
# of SideDefs: 2553
# of Sectors: 338

Would you like me to send the map to you via e-mail so that you could have look?

Are you going to add new monsters? I'd love to see an interpretation of the General Demon.

Vegeta said:

Are you going to add new monsters?

We've got new sprites of the Lost Soul.
It's grey as stone and it's flames have been removed. And when it dies it pops into a cloud of some green gas.
That's pretty much it for now.
As far as I know, the Demon will be left alone.

Vegeta said:

Are you going to add new monsters? I'd love to see an interpretation of the General Demon.

I have a few general concepts ripped directly from the alphas:

Demon: Same as always, except it has "clean" teeth and it explodes when it dies.

Imp: Lighter complexion.

Lost Soul : Done.

Baron of Hell : A touch taller and a bit lighter.

And that's just about it for now.

Also, DarkJedi, glad to see that your map is almost (or is) complete :) I didn't see any gleaming errors, except there is a HOM at Linedef 1470. Other than that, great job. :P

EDIT: Also, I've been learning about 3D Bridges, and for all of our sakes, I included 2 versions of the RoTT catwalks for those of you who feel the need to overuse the 3D bridge :)

Also, there's going to be a few additions:

1. Next release, there's going to be the Alpha Rifle, which will have it's own slot entirely :)

2. Dark Claw, once again it's own slot :)

3. The Unmaker will have it's own slot as well :P

There was a HOM??
Damn, I gotta go check that out for myself. Although I'm not sure if I'll be able to fix it. I suck at fixing HOMs.
Anyways, I'll try to get this map 100% complete sometime before August 2005.
After it's done I wouldn't mind working as a beta-tester, or perhaps I could try some demo-recording for the final version.
What do ya say about that idea, Darkhaven?

****EDIT: I've just fixed the HOM a few minutes ago. Thank god it was only one of those minor HOMs which result from mismatching two SideDefs. I was originally thiniking that it would be a much worse and serious type of HOM.

Yeah, just tell me which maps you'd want to use for the demos.
I suggest that we should wait until most of the maps for this project are 100% complete...
Then I'll have my fun :)