Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristian Ronge

Extremal Doom Demo Pack

Phil1984 said:

I thought i'ld add some for the collection! This two-man show is now a three-man show.

Here is a 0:47 max run of E3M1, which kind of combines the trick to get the fast exit on the Speed run with the Max Run. Anyway, if it wasn't for that, this run would have been slower than the last max run on this level. So Anima Zero, i'm looking at you mate to take this one down further :D

Nice run there :). Took a bit of time here, but I managed a 0:45 UV-Max for E3M1. No real glaring mistakes here, which is good.

Also did a UV-Speed for E3M8. Time for it is 1:59. Quite improvable.

Sending both runs to Ops now.

EDIT: ...Well, time for a quote from me.

"You just don't know when to give up, do you?"

I'll just let you all guess what PS2 game that came from :).

Oh, and the reason I said that...E3M1 UV-Max has been improved once again to 0:43. Honestly wasn't expecting that you know.

Will send this new run to Ops now.

I did a max demo for E1M3 in 3:11.

Hey Angus, I watch the Snooker WC too. Hoping for an O'Sullivan vs. Ebdon finale. :) How about you?

Nice to see some action in this WAD, gentlemen! :-D

DeDo said:
I did a max demo for E1M3 in 3:11.

Not bad, but you missed a trick: blocking the 30-second door. :-)

Here's an E1M3 UV speed in 0:52 that shows this trick. I found another trick here, too (grabbing the soulsphere through the bars) but it's pretty useless for UV max/speed. It could probably help for NM speed, though.

And BTW, I was hoping for a Snooker WC final between O'Sullivan and Fu! Looks like none of them'll make it there... :-(

EDIT: Doug, my host was down due to a scheduled server maintenance. The systems group usually does that when people in this timezone are all asleep. ;-)

Yeah, I thought about it but couldn't get it done so I played without it. I may try it again after seeing the trick done.
Same with E1M4. I saw the demos using the RJ to bypass the door but I suck at stuff like that so I didn't try it.

/edit: Tried it and made a 2:49 time. Works well, thanks Kristian. :)

edit2: E1M7 max in 8:53. Don't forget your flashlight as it gets very dark sometimes.

Couple of demos here.

Improved E2M6 UV-Speed to 0:56. Still quite improvable I think.

Also did a E2M1 UV-Max with a time of 3:33. First exit and improvable as well.

Sending the demos to Ops now.

EDIT: Managed to get an improvement on E1M9 UV-Speed. 2:10 is the new time now. Most of the lost time here was due to monsters continually getting in my way. Sub-2 sounds possible, but might be a bit on the tough side to reach. Sending this run to Ops.

DeDo's mention of E1M7 (looking forward to seeing his demo) reminded me that I really like this map, so I had a quick look to see if I could find the shortcut that I was sure had to be there but had eluded me so far. Actually it was a fairly obvious one...

E1M7 UV Speed in 1:05. First exit. (I wish I had a bit more time to spend on recording at the moment.)

I've noticed a second possible shortcut on E1M7: you can get directly to the "lake" area from the starting position with a glide through the grating. Together with the bars glide, this would make for a very quick time.

I'd tried this initially without any success, but just now have managed it on one occasion, but haven't replicated it. I wasn't recording at the time, and was playing rather absent-mindedly (with -nomonsters), so I'm not even sure exactly what part of the grating (which end, or if it even was an end) I got through.

According to my understanding of this trick, it shouldn't be possible at any point along this line, but my understanding of it clearly can't be accurate, unless there is a different phenomenon at work here.

Edit: On reflection, it was presumably at the left-hand end, and there is nothing surprising about it. For some reason I thought the third linedef had a bearing on things, whereas I imagine the angle at which the two nearest you meet is all that matters. I'll be more sure of that once I have repeated it though!

It turns out to be at the right-hand end, and I'm again puzzled about the dynamics. Not complaining though...

E1M7 UV Speed in 0:41.

Shame I couldn't get the second glide a bit faster, but I'm happy just to achieve both glides in the same demo (and that the cyber didn't have any nasty surprises for me).

Fantastic demo, Graham! Great to see two difficult tricks being done in such close succession. You had a bit of imp assistance with that second lift, too. :-)

Here's a UV Strolling demo of E2M4 in 0:48. Dedicated to the inventor of strolling, Linguica, on his birthday. The run is not as easy as it looks. Enjoy!

Improved E2M6 UV-Max to 2:19. Not a bad run overall, but I think my 2nd BFG shot and some rocket aiming could have gone a bit better.

Sending to Ops now.

I quickly made a speedrun of E2M6 in 0:53 just to demonstrate what I think is a faster route (take the RL immediately, waste the imps in the chainsaw room, and then use a wallrun there for speedboost which also lets you run back through the door again before it closes). It's a very sloppy first exit, and I got stuck several times, so 0:49 shouldn't be too hard. I know you like this one very much, Brian, so let's see it! :-)

Hello here,
I thought I could also record something for this wad ... Anima's maxdemo for E2M1 inspired me to try a tyson run - so I recorded it in 3:51 :) Afterwards I also tried maxkill for same map a bit, but got just noob 3:14, and it's only a poor Anima's route stealer.
Btw. Great all the demos so far!

Kristian Ronge said:

I quickly made a speedrun of E2M6 in 0:53 just to demonstrate what I think is a faster route (take the RL immediately, waste the imps in the chainsaw room, and then use a wallrun there for speedboost which also lets you run back through the door again before it closes). It's a very sloppy first exit, and I got stuck several times, so 0:49 shouldn't be too hard. I know you like this one very much, Brian, so let's see it! :-)

Nice job there :).

Sadly, after hours of attempts, I only managed a one second improvement (0:52). Had I not got caught on so many monsters as I did here, I probably would have made that 0:49 goal or be within 1 second of it.

If there is a plus side to all this...well, might be a bit hard to believe, but this is my first demo as a mouser :). Surprising, but I think I finally have got using the mouse in PRBoom-plus under control. I think I might need to tone down the horizontal mouse sensitivity a bit, I'm not quite sure.

But regardless, it is indeed my first mouser demo, so enjoy it :). Was quite fun to do.

While on the topic of E2M6, I managed to record a bug/glitch demo for it. You have to see it to believe it. Named it GlitchRocket!, which should give some kind of hint as to what I'm talking about.

Enough rambling from me. I'm sending my run to Ops now. I'll try some more tomorrow, as I'm a bit out of it after hours of attempts today.

Anima Zero said:

While on the topic of E2M6, I managed to record a bug/glitch demo for it. You have to see it to believe it. Named it GlitchRocket!, which should give some kind of hint as to what I'm talking about.

There was something that looked similar in Anders Johnsen's n4m1-039, but on closer inspection, that was an illusion, as the sergeant was killed by infighting, and the rocket went through him.

I'm not sure what the explanation is. You can get things like that due to a bad REJECT, but that isn't the case here, as the REJECT for Extremal's E2M6 is the right length and all zeroes. I notice that you are sitting on a tagged line at that point, and also "wobbling" up against the imp. Perhaps that is somehow causing the engine simply not to see the player as being there for this calculation - given that linedefs can be skipped with a wobble of this type, maybe splash damage can be avoided too. Just speculation.

Wow, Anima a mouser? I never thought I'd see the day! :-D And with a very nice style, I must say. Pity about the exact time there (0:52.03) but I'm sure you'll improve it soon. Best of luck!

Oh, and the rocket blast bug demo was one of the coolest I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing. :-)

heh those rocket bugs also happened to me sometimes..
It reminds me the stupid sectors that appears in requiem.wad. In those sectors any your rocket can hurt you and even monsters can't hurt you (they just follow you) anybody understand what's happening with these sectors? It's a place in map02 around stonehenge portals and in map22 outside area around redhot bricked building. Heh I wanted to design these sectors in some map of KSutra but never understood how.
Btw. Anima grats for your first mousing demo, it was very cool and also pretty smooth moving - I hope you will play with mouse more too :)

Gusta said:
monsters can't hurt you (they just follow you) anybody understand what's happening with these sectors

I think that is done by tweaking the REJECT (or due to errors in the building of it). As I said above though, that isn't the explanation for what happens in Anima's demo.

Grazza said:

Perhaps that is somehow causing the engine simply not to see the player as being there for this calculation

This is precisely true. Splash damage needs to pass a number of checks to work, and the final one - the line of sight check between the player and the explosion - fails.

You wouldn't expect it to fail. The player and the rocket explosion, at (237,557) and (227,557) respectively, are only 10 units apart.

However the player's position (237,557) is exactly coincident with linedef #78, so his centre is on the border between two sectors of differing heights. As barrel and rocket explosions are one and the same thing (they use the same code, anyway) I believe this is most likely a case of Barrel explosions which do no damage at point-blank range.

I decided to spend a while trying to improve my E1M7 UV Speed. Although I succeeded, I almost wish I hadn't bothered, as the new demo, although two seconds faster, is a good deal uglier than the old one.

E1M7 UV Speed in 0:39.

I opted for the Cack-Handed approach with the second glide, and reckoning on that giving me a better chance of making that glide quickly, that I could therefore save time by skipping the chaingun and killing a demon less. It worked, I suppose, but I found it hard to get used to the control set-up it requires. Or maybe I just can't aim or run any more...