Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DJShrimpy

A little help with /newstuff

OK I have a few questions about this "/newstuff chronicles" as you people call it.

This is my first experience with an FTP Client and I'm just making sure everything went well.

I'm using this thing called "Fling". Now I tried to upload it a few times and I got this message.

It's unable to upload for some reason, and I don't know why.

These are my settings:

I put my password as my e-mail adress, like the FAQ said.

For the directory, I'm guessing it's the folder containing the files I want to upload. That would be the "Ancient Battlegrounds" folder on my desktop.

Last time I was uploading my WAD which was "TP3.zip" and it never gave me this message(it wasn't until later that I realised the WAD broke some of the rules, so I had to switch it with ANCIENT1.wad). Now when I try to upload it I get the error message (first picture).

And also, am I supposed to upload the txt and zip files seperatly, or is the txt file supposed to be compressed with the zip?

If anyone could help me out on what I'm doing wrong, that would be great. :)

Upload the txt inside the zip and separately.

Also, try another FTP client if necessary. Like FTP Surfer is neato. That one looks complicated. I don't even remember putting my email address anywhere.

Th0r said:

in before big red letters and lock

Why would they lock this? This could be a great thread for people with FTP problems.

HobbsTiger1 said:

hello ftp.exe

Ok... I had to re-read your post about 3 times to see if I was missing a point...

And guys the reason I'm using "Fling" is because it was one of the default ones in the FAQ. I'll try using FileZilla and see what comes up.

esselfortium said:

All the information you need can be found here:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31922

If you bothered to even look at my post, I clearly said that I read the FAQ. -_-

DJShrimpy said:

Why would they lock this? This could be a great thread for people with FTP problems.

because theres alot of threads just like this one. and you could always just do what i do, and get some one who rox to upload for you.

just checked filezilla out and it looks exactly like bpftp, the one i use. which is an evil complicated beast but handy

off topic question though: why are ftp clients either super souped up life the above or crappy winzip type wizards? would be great to be able to just mount my web server as if it were a folder or mapped drive in windows explorer. except the ones i've tried (albeit many moons ago) that tried to work in explorer were bug filled crash fests. ho hum

I tried FileZilla yesterday and it terminated with an error on startup. I think it might require Windows XP. I've always found SmartFTP effective (it has a simple browsing format where you can drag and drop the files from your HDD), so I'm not really concerned.

DJShrimpy said:

And guys the reason I'm using "Fling" is because it was one of the default ones in the FAQ.

It is? um... where?

myk said:

I tried FileZilla yesterday and it terminated with an error on startup. I think it might require Windows XP.

No, it works in Windows 95 even.

Can someone check the incoming folder to see if my WAD made it?

(seeing that I have absolutely no freakin clue what I'm doing)

It's ANCIENT1.zip and ANCIENT1.txt

Adress is archives.gamers.org/pub/idgames/incoming/

DJShrimpy, seems so. They are there. The ZIP is 646 KB in size.

Bloodshedder said:
No, it works in Windows 95 even.

I see the Readme says that, but it gave me a runtime error (a request to terminate in an unusual way) at startup that I had seen before when attempting to run unsupporting applications. It appears that they don't support them anymore, but forgot to update their documentation.

myk, look for version FileZilla 1.9.9 if you really want to try it. I have used it for several years on my win 98 system. I got mine at cnet / download.com

I have never had even one issue with it. It just does what you want, everytime.

but if it is not there I will email it to you. It is 2.2 meg. and in a setup_exe format.

My email is just below in the link if you want it emailed to you.

It was here at cnet when I got mine:

CNET > Downloads > Windows > Utilities > FTP > FileZilla

Edit:typo

Searcher said:
myk, look for version FileZilla 1.9.9 if you really want to try it. I have used it for several years on my win 98 system. I got mine at cnet / download.com

It's okay, thanks, I'll keep that in mind in case of future need. I also saw some earlier versions on their download page, but I was merely curious and don't really need it, since SmartFTP is freeware for personal use and does a fine job.

Hey, a sort of off-topic question, but how often do these guys do reviews? The FAQ said around every Sunday, but it's been a few weeks and still nothing. :l

They're regularly done on the second and third week of each month, although there's meant to be a regular review on the first week (oldstuff) as well. First reviewer is yours truly, second reviewer is AlexMax. Amaster is doing it this week out of loving nature which means I don't have to put up with as much crap submissions as usual.