Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orchid87

What's the story behind 3do Doom?

I read somewhere that due to the mistake the final build of the game was not released and what the 3do owners got was the beta version. Was the final build ever leaked? Does anyone know if it is better optimized than the released version?

Also AFAIK Doom was one of the last 3do games. What was it's exact release date?

Orchid87 said:

I read somewhere that due to the mistake the final build of the game was not released and what the 3do owners got was the beta version.

I've heard that quite a few times, but have never seen any real evidence to suggest it is true. Although it is definitely possible, given the type of company Art Data Interactive (ADI) was.

Moving on, in my opinion, the real problem was ADI themselves. They honestly had no idea what they were doing. Doom was originally slated for a spring 1995 release, however, by summer 1995, ADI still hadn't even started on the game. In mid-September, out of sheer desperation, ADI contracted the development of 3DO Doom out to a third party company, LogicWare, run by Bill Heineman (who did the 3DO versions of Wolfenstein 3D and Out of This World, among other games). Unfortunately, ADI wanted the game rushed for a Christmas release, and only gave him 10 weeks to port the entire game. And to top it all off, ADI was advertising the game as having high res graphics and new and improved levels when all LogicWare was sourced to do was a straight port of the Jaguar version. At the end, Art Data was nothing more than a crooked company that was only good for making broken promises and telling outright lies.

Sources:
* Press release announcing Doom (and Doom II!) for the 3DO, promising a spring 1995 release for the former.
* 1996 post from the rec.games.video.3do newsgroup made my Bill Heineman, talking about 3DO Doom and ADI.
* Youtube video from the President of ADI advertising the Japanese release of Doom.

Some of my other sources don't seem to be online anymore, so I guess there's some things in my post you'll just have to take my word for (or not, I don't care :p).

Orchid87 said:

Also AFAIK Doom was one of the last 3do games. What was it's exact release date?

The exact release date itself is unknown. However, according to Bill Heineman, it was rushed for a Christmas 1995 release.