Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Leon

Worst/ most annoying monster?

NiuHaka said:

I do however find some mappers use of monsters to be annoying. I never get annoyed when I play through vanilla Doom & Doom II.

This, is why you find monsters really annoying, you see each monster has its own niche in gameplay, but people either over use certain monsters to make their maps harder, or don't know where to place certain monsters to make the game actually fun. The original iwads, hell even plutonias over use of revenants was still good, but the developers knew how to place the monsters.

Pure Hellspawn said:

Fatso's are not that weak in reality and as a matter of fact have the 5th highest HP out of all the monsters (trailing Cybers, Spiders, Barons and Archvile). Good Luck killing a fatso with 2 rockets, you'll be lucky if it dies in 3.

Mancubus pretty regularly dies with 3 rockets. Like, almost every time.

For the most part, Iron Liches are little more than idle-bodied ornaments that crumble before a steady barrage of ethereal bolts and hellfire... but I can't stand it when they force me to play a game of "can you keep your mouse on the mouse pad?" as I try to evade their tornados and face down the creator, or otherwise hide behind a wall.

Centaurs and Slaughtaurs are actually alright as long as they're in groups. They provide me with a good reason to use flechettes, disks of repulsion, or the porkalator; reducing entire herds to just a swing away from death if employed properly.

Stalkers and their "Bosses", however, just make me flat-out impatient, and I often equip my Morpheus face when confronted by a horde of incompetent Ettin, the only monster from any IWAD to date that has failed to hit me even once throughout an entire playthrough.

"Stop trying to hit me and hit me!"

Nah. I don't know the math but I doubt you have more than a 50% chance to kill a manc in 3 rockets. What likely happens is when you fight mancs they take a small amount of damage from infights, or even splash damage from shooting at other mancs, and that makes you think they only take 3 rockets to die.

Doomwiki says the mean number of rockets required is 3.24, so surely that should make it less than a 50% chance to get a 3 shots kill? Although Doom's RNG is weird and deterministic as far as I understand it. You can just as well load up map07 a dozen times, slap IDDQD and IDKFQ and shot rockets at mancs by making sure you're only firing 3 at a time and only at individual mancs.

In my experience I pretty rarely get mnacs in 3 rockets. I think I'm more likely to get them in 3 SSG shots, but only if I do the 45 degree angle trick. Usually, if i can help it, I'll lead a couple fireballs or revenant missiles into the mancs before I shoot them, or I'll line them up with other monsters so any leftover spray from killing revenants or Hell Knights with the SSG will hit the mancs, just for the extra insurance.

Maybe I exaggerated, but they are still quite easy to kill. Plus considering how slow they are it's even easier to do

40oz said:

45 degree angle trick

Wassat?

We played Scythex last night and in one of the last couple levels there were about a million Man Cubes. Actually, throughout the whole wad. I deliberately shot exactly 3 rockets at each. According to the wiki the mean should be 3 rockets. I guess for the ones that took more I must have assumed weren't direct hits or maybe some that did go down were hit by another monster.

qoncept said:

Wassat?

Monster collision boxes are square and not rotated (look at the automap in ZDoom with am_cheat 3 to see collision boxes).

As you might remember from math class, the diagonal of a square is sqrt(2) * the width of the side. Which means that a monster is "broader" when you face it at an angle of 45°, 135°, 225°, or 315° than when you face it at an angle of 0°, 90°, 180°, or 270°.

Since it's broader at these angles, more of the supershotgun pellets will be able to hit it.

even though i've failed every attempt at Go 2 it so far, i find that pain elementals are very useful for infighting.

Otherwise, they can go to hell..oh wait..

Currently I'd have to go with the spectres from Brutal Doom... in a good way, I guess. I have yet to devise a 100% effective strategy to keep them from flanking and biting me. :P