Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bradharding

DOOM Retro v5.4 (updated May 2, 2024)

Hey brad! There seems to be some errors when switching between vanilla mode and back to normal. It cycles through the screen size and even alt hud, and overlaps with the status bar. You have to manually cycle the screen size to return to normal, since if you switch back and forth, it gets even messier.

E2M1.png

E2M1_1.png

4 hours ago, Endless said:

Hey brad! There seems to be some errors when switching between vanilla mode and back to normal. It cycles through the screen size and even alt hud, and overlaps with the status bar. You have to manually cycle the screen size to return to normal, since if you switch back and forth, it gets even messier.

Thanks @Endless. Will be fixed in the next one. In the meantime, it looks like you can toggle vanilla on/off ok if you do it when not in widescreen.

Well, since the last update I have had no more problems with the sound or any other problems, great job!

The only little bug, which I remembered late is related to the killcounter.
After loading the save, resets the counter of monsters that were revived arhvil before the save.

Conditionally at the start of the level total monsters was 20.
You killed for example 15, so the killcounter is 15/20.
But then the archvile comes out and revives 10 monsters and we kill them. The result is 25/30.
We save at this point. We pass on, let's say at some point we die and load the save.
We end up with a killcounter of 25/20 when it should have been 25/30. 

Maybe I missed some nuances at some points, but in general it worked something like this.
And how about displaying the number of reborn monsters separately from the original number of monsters?
For example in the case above would be something like "25/20 + 10".

Also, this is more for Doom Retro users:

If you also find the default automap coloring very uncomfortable and poorly readable, I picked up a more convenient and readable preset coloring.
Just copy those lines below to your config, or enter them into the console while playing:

am_allmapcdwallcolor 111
am_allmapfdwallcolor 105
am_allmapwallcolor 100
am_backcolor 0
am_bloodsplatcolor 124
am_bluedoorcolor 200
am_bluekeycolor 200
am_cdwallcolor 127
am_corpsecolor 172
am_fdwallcolor 122
am_markcolor 162
am_reddoorcolor 176
am_redkeycolor 176
am_teleportercolor 24
am_thingcolor 250
am_tswallcolor 152
am_wallcolor 112
am_yellowdoorcolor 231
am_yellowkeycolor 231

I'm also attaching some screenshots as an example.
Now all the colored doors and teleporters are clearly visible on the map.
Also in relation to the protrusions on the ceiling are well highlighted protrusions on the floor, like stairs, etc., as they are much more important to the player, because more affect his movement.

Spoiler

1388301053_Automap(6).png.bf04197bba44f99ab972d8f3fcc38a50.png2010710985_Automap(5).png.69fe1157aac352ae22116c3185e3d9cb.png1282414361_Automap(4).png.fec32a9c14642819e81da5c6fa97f8b2.png989485415_Automap(3).png.4ed6a2ecd7732bd63ce74fdee54a7285.png408158975_Automap(2).png.befdd20b8ea574b3bccea8574e305f91.png725797019_Automap(1).png.c033bfd114774654ad3924c36b005c59.png
Automap.png.340175f55925d3691379bbc4d134d4d2.png

9 hours ago, DRON12261 said:

Well, since the last update I have had no more problems with the sound or any other problems, great job!

The only little bug, which I remembered late is related to the killcounter.
After loading the save, resets the counter of monsters that were revived arhvil before the save.

Conditionally at the start of the level total monsters was 20.
You killed for example 15, so the killcounter is 15/20.
But then the archvile comes out and revives 10 monsters and we kill them. The result is 25/30.
We save at this point. We pass on, let's say at some point we die and load the save.
We end up with a killcounter of 25/20 when it should have been 25/30. 

Maybe I missed some nuances at some points, but in general it worked something like this.
And how about displaying the number of reborn monsters separately from the original number of monsters?
For example in the case above would be something like "25/20 + 10".

Glad to know that sound problem is fixed! :D

Each time an arch-vile resurrects a monster, the kill count is meant to go down by 1 (and it does as far as I can tell).
Other source ports might do this differently, and something like "25/20 + 10" is messy and not at all intuitive.
But I do see now how the total number of possible kills might not always be restored correctly when loading a savegame (such as when you've used the spawn CCMD, or a pain elemental is involved). I'm working on a fix. Thanks again!

I like the new fuzz effect. It looks like something I'd see without my glasses on, which really suits the rest of this port's  graphical effects. Pretty cool!

I have a question about the camera rotation in menu. Is there a cvar to disable its rotation, position and fov change, just so it stays in the same spot it did before pausing, but with black and white filter, and without sprites?

On 3/14/2023 at 2:18 AM, NieMaMordy said:

I like the new fuzz effect. It looks like something I'd see without my glasses on, which really suits the rest of this port's  graphical effects. Pretty cool!

I have a question about the camera rotation in menu. Is there a cvar to disable its rotation, position and fov change, just so it stays in the same spot it did before pausing, but with black and white filter, and without sprites?

I'm glad you like the new fuzz effect. I wish I had implemented it sooner!

To be honest, I'd like to keep the menu's background as is, and without any CVARs to change it, as it's very much a distinctive feature.

Speaking of minor things: I've noticed now that if you have "low detail mode" on, the viewport gets an anti-aliasing filter which isn't present when the game's set to "high detail mode." This seems to be independent of the display filtering type. Is there a way to change this?

8 hours ago, segfault said:

Speaking of minor things: I've noticed now that if you have "low detail mode" on, the viewport gets an anti-aliasing filter which isn't present when the game's set to "high detail mode." This seems to be independent of the display filtering type. Is there a way to change this?

Yep! Use the r_supersampling CVAR. :)

Hey brad! I started using Doom Retro with the Steam overlay recently, and I hadn't had much issues with it until v4.8 and now I have random crashes. Is there any way to check some ''crash log'' ? Maybe you could help me out.

3 hours ago, Endless said:

Hey brad! I started using Doom Retro with the Steam overlay recently, and I hadn't had much issues with it until v4.8 and now I have random crashes. Is there any way to check some ''crash log'' ? Maybe you could help me out.

Hi! You could PM me the error information in the Windows event viewer, and I may be able to trace something that way. I would suspect that the steam overlay would be causing SDL.dll to crash. How random is "random"? What are doing when it crashes? I've loaded DR through Steam myself just now to test for a while, and it ran fine.

I think the crashes I'm seeing have to do with spectres, particularly when they're injured (in close range to the player? with the SSG in particular?) I thought it was an issue with my mapset at first, but it turns out that I can trigger the crashes in Doom2.wad. Here's the XML output from Event Viewer.

Spoiler

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          4/2/2023 5:15:13 PM
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: (100)
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Computer:      DESKTOP-OESJO5L
Description:
Faulting application name: doomretro.exe, version: 4.8.1.0, time stamp: 0x6407cfca
Faulting module name: doomretro.exe, version: 4.8.1.0, time stamp: 0x6407cfca
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000cbd7f
Faulting process id: 0x2c34
Faulting application start time: 0x01d965afbc313c37
Faulting application path: C:\doomretro\doomretro.exe
Faulting module path: C:\doomretro\doomretro.exe
Report Id: 62c0942e-decb-4a8d-a9ae-d354441809a7
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2023-04-02T22:15:13.1382604Z" />
    <EventRecordID>207067</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="18536" ThreadID="0" />
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-OESJO5L</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>doomretro.exe</Data>
    <Data>4.8.1.0</Data>
    <Data>6407cfca</Data>
    <Data>doomretro.exe</Data>
    <Data>4.8.1.0</Data>
    <Data>6407cfca</Data>
    <Data>c0000005</Data>
    <Data>00000000000cbd7f</Data>
    <Data>2c34</Data>
    <Data>01d965afbc313c37</Data>
    <Data>C:\doomretro\doomretro.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\doomretro\doomretro.exe</Data>
    <Data>62c0942e-decb-4a8d-a9ae-d354441809a7</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

7 hours ago, bofu said:

I think the crashes I'm seeing have to do with spectres, particularly when they're injured (in close range to the player? with the SSG in particular?) I thought it was an issue with my mapset at first, but it turns out that I can trigger the crashes in Doom2.wad. Here's the XML output from Event Viewer.

Thanks @bofu! I just responded to your DM. New version coming soon with fix (plus a lot of other improvements)... :)

1 hour ago, bradharding said:

Thanks @bofu! I just responded to your DM. New version coming soon with fix (plus a lot of other improvements)... :)

I'll be honest, I didn't think my DM sent after the hiccups DW has having last night! Testing it now.

Good morning*! It's only been a month since the last release but today sees the release of v4.9 of DOOM Retro! This one includes some significant fixes and changes, such as a nice animation to the status bar and widescreen HUD, better mouse pointer support in the menu, and much more. Please visit www.doomretro.com for the release notes and to download. Thank you for everyone's support and I hope you have a Happy Easter!

*Sydney time :)

19 hours ago, bradharding said:

Good morning*! It's only been a month since the last release but today sees the release of v4.9 of DOOM Retro! This one includes some significant fixes and changes, such as a nice animation to the status bar and widescreen HUD, better mouse pointer support in the menu, and much more. Please visit www.doomretro.com for the release notes and to download. Thank you for everyone's support and I hope you have a Happy Easter!

*Sydney time :)

On the DOOM Retro website, the 64bit link doesn't work. Seems like because the link ends with "v4.8.1/doomretro-4.9-win64.zip" instead of "v4.9/doomretro-4.9-win64.zip"

How interesting that the crash with Spectres had to do with their sprites touching the top of the screen! I never would have figured that out on my own, and I'm impressed that you were able to figure out as quickly as you did.

Enjoying the new release. I had been unofficially targeting Doom Retro as one of my supported ports for my current project for a while since it supports all the features I'm using, and I've been loving the way it plays.

A minor note in case anyone else runs into this: I grabbed version 4.9 pretty much the moment it dropped and I had an issue where, if I entered a cheat code, I'd get major slime trails everywhere. Redownloading v4.9 fixed the issue so I can only assume this was caught and fixed.

6 hours ago, segfault said:

A minor note in case anyone else runs into this: I grabbed version 4.9 pretty much the moment it dropped and I had an issue where, if I entered a cheat code, I'd get major slime trails everywhere. Redownloading v4.9 fixed the issue so I can only assume this was caught and fixed.

I also reported a crash when killing yourself with the rocket launcher right after 4.9 was released on Github (before the fixed reupload).

Found an interesting quirk... If you happen to launch DOOM Retro using something like "-map 01" parameters, the music is bugged. Regardless of the music volume setting, some parts of the MIDI file will play (i.e. the bass guitar at max volume), even if the music is muted entirely. It's important to note that I'm using Windows 11 and the 64bit version of DOOM Retro. Watch the video below for a demonstration:

Hi @Fireseth, may I ask a few questions?

* By the looks of it, are you running that launcher through Steam?

* What is the full command-line that the launcher is running DR with?

* Are you getting a warning in the console regarding the music?

6 hours ago, Fireseth said:

Found an interesting quirk... If you happen to launch DOOM Retro using something like "-map 01" parameters, the music is bugged. Regardless of the music volume setting, some parts of the MIDI file will play (i.e. the bass guitar at max volume), even if the music is muted entirely. It's important to note that I'm using Windows 11 and the 64bit version of DOOM Retro. Watch the video below for a demonstration:

Yes, I too have encountered this kind of thing often during my maps tests (launch from Ultimate Doom Builder)

This bug is definitely saved by going to the pause menu and back.

16 hours ago, bradharding said:

Hi @Fireseth, may I ask a few questions?

* By the looks of it, are you running that launcher through Steam?

* What is the full command-line that the launcher is running DR with?

* Are you getting a warning in the console regarding the music?

1. Yes :) Although I double checked, and it doesn't seem to have an effect whether I run the launcher through Steam or not.
2. The exact commands I'm running are:
 -warp 1
 -skill 3 
 -nosplash
3. There are no warnings or anything out of the ordinary in the console when I open the game. As what @DRON12261 pointed out, the bug is fixed once you go into the pause menu and back. It is also fixed if I open the console interface.

When streaming doom retro on discord, I noticed that my game is not recognised as 'doom' in general, but rather as the wad that I am currently playing (e.g. wow.wad). This results in having to register a new game in discord each time I want to stream a new wad. Would it be possible to change it so discord always recognises Doom Retro as just 'Doom Retro', no matter what wad is played?