Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
quakke

Console game?

quakke said:

I excuse and my intent is not to do any "PC mastarace yayay!!!!". No, but i simply don't accept it when people act as that the "fps works perfectly on consoles" because it's simply not true. Steam controller possibly will make it more playable but it still will not be a competition for m+kb user because you simply can't play the genre the same way you can on m+kb because the mouse and keyboard doesn't get behind or are too slow.

It's a bit subjective for sure. Some PC gamers choose to at times play PC games with a controller. But keyboard and mouse vs controller is a bit of a side topic. I myself played the PC version of Bioshock Infinite on my TV with a 360 controller. I also played Borderlands like that half the time. Playing co-op with somebody who was using a keyboard and mouse, I wasn't lagging behind or anything.

Plus, you can adjust the sensitivity of the thumbstick if you want a more twitchy experience. And of course, it actually is possible to play a console shooter with keyboard and mouse if you want, but that's another story. I was just saying it's not very comparable to say an SNES port of Doom, since this will be a 1/1 identical version of the PC game, save for maybe some extra nice lighting and anti-aliasing type stuff on PC. Which not every PC player will be able to use anyway. Or if you like resolutions above 1080p.

The point of my post was more just to point out that not every PC gamer even will be able to play Doom 4 on a PC upon release. And it's nice that console ports have come a long way in the past decade or so.

And is there maybe some irony in that we're on a forum where some people play Doom without a mouse? Considering how close quarters the combat looks in Doom 4, the analog stick aiming will probably be less of a problem than ever. The shotgun is known to have some good spread too.

Single player might be okay, but it does look like the multiplayer is going to very much be suffering from consolitis.

quakke said:

Hehe, now that's quite a stretch :D

I'm sure you know but reason it works someway on consoles, is because they had to once again pretty much build the whole game around the capabilities of the controller and actually implement something that the controller can handle, such as bullettime while switching weapons. Guess why there is the mp loadouts instead of full arsenal? Because you can't exactly slowdown time and take your time switching weapons in realtime online deatchmatch and don't try to tell me that it's easier to manage 10-15 weapons via contoller than on hotkeys on PC keyboard.

It annoys me how due to controller being not meant for fps, they instead do everything to make it "work" on controllers. Like now they just instead thought they could just Loadout the whole mp. I hope they aren't getting away with it because on PC we have the right to real dm. Also, it once again doesn't exactly "play perfectly" if the entire genre has had to been slowed down and simplified (regenerating health, aimdownsights, holstered sprint) just so that the controller can play it (in doom 4's case bullettime weapon switch in sp and loadouts in mp). Bring true PC fps straight to consoles, such as Quake 1 or Half-Life 1 and it most certainly is clunky when played with controller because they are alot faster and twitchy than todays "realistic" military shooters..

I excuse and my intent is not to do any "PC mastarace yayay!!!!". No, but i simply don't accept it when people act as that the "fps works perfectly on consoles" because it's simply not true. Steam controller possibly will make it more playable but it still will not be a competition for m+kb user because you simply can't play the genre the same way you can on m+kb because the mouse and keyboard doesn't get behind or are too slow.

Maybe you could do a weapon wheel in multiplayer but not slow down time while doing it. I'd prefer that.

Like I've said, weapon wheels aren't perfect but for consoles they're the best options and I kinda hope that even the console versions of Doom can be played without load outs, since you really just need to remove the slowdown mechanic and maybe add a "next" and "previous" weapon option.

I mean, come on now, there was no slowdown in Wolfenstein: The New Order and THAT was still released for the PS4 and Xbox One. You could easily do the same for Doom.

kelliegator said:

Maybe you could do a weapon wheel in multiplayer but not slow down time while doing it. I'd prefer that.

Like I've said, weapon wheels aren't perfect but for consoles they're the best options and I kinda hope that even the console versions of Doom can be played without load outs, since you really just need to remove the slowdown mechanic and maybe add a "next" and "previous" weapon option.

I mean, come on now, there was no slowdown in Wolfenstein: The New Order and THAT was still released for the PS4 and Xbox One. You could easily do the same for Doom.

Its already been confirmed that the slowdown is an option.

I hope it's not console orientated, i recently got a job and I'm saving up to upgrade my PC. It feels like doom 3 again, haha

EternalWolf said:

Its already been confirmed that the slowdown is an option.

This Is... So, beautiful. That's Yes, but I feel the Slowdown Is pretty cool, though I'll go with not having It.

i dont mind good controller support, i am a lazy couch gamer.

i just dont want the game design to be limited by the fact that it is to run on middle of the road console hardware.

rampancy said:

i dont mind good controller support, i am a lazy couch gamer.

i just dont want the game design to be limited by the fact that it is to run on middle of the road console hardware.

It looks like the Game Design and Level Design Is pretty great so far, I noticed different paths You could take and all. I also noticed the return of the Soul Sphere too In the Hell level.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Euh, i just hope ID Isn't focusing on Console port more than PC Port .

I honestly think that they will be, and since consoles have advanced and this is early in their lifetime they probably don't think people will notice.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Euh, i just hope ID Isn't focusing on Console port more than PC Port .

Well, I mean. If they say that It's 60 FPS and 1080p on the Consoles and PCs, then they might be making one hell of a Engine. But they were former fans of DOOM, they fucking know where to make the new DOOM In, Hopefully.

[LeD]Jake Crusher said:

May I ask, please, the source of where it has been confirmed?

Watch the offical E3 video again. You can see in the hellpart the doomguy doing quickswitch of weapons atleast once, around the time he dropping down to the area. So, before the combat scene is where you'll see it.