Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Potatoguy

What would make a better DOOM cover?

I'm an artist myself, and the anatomy is making me cringe.

I mean, i GET the artist is trying to make a perspective pose, where other parts seem closer/farther. But it's just how the body is twisted in an extreme fashion that just makes the character seem cartoony. I admire the lighting and coloring of it, but it's the position of the drawing that's making me uneasy.

It seems most of the focus, though, of the picture went to the Gluteus Maximus. :|

It's always good to reference something doing a similar pose than drawing one yourself out of scratch.

I despise that image too, although it's rendered well. Not to go all feminist, but when dudes take a character and switch the gender, which gives them an excuse to adorn them in impractical clothing and overly emphasize their ass/crotch, it's nothing short of embarrassing.

GoatLord said:

I despise that image too, although it's rendered well. Not to go all feminist, but when dudes take a character and switch the gender, which gives them an excuse to adorn them in impractical clothing and overly emphasize their ass/crotch, it's nothing short of embarrassing.

I don't like it, because I feel like women warriors would be extremely well-clad to go into battle.

I mean it's kinda like us guys, wearing armor everywhere except our abs and our crotch area. That would be retarded, and not a single guy I know would do that.

So realistically speaking, regardless of what gender you are, or what race, or whatever you are, we'd all armor up extremely well, because we are fighting demons here!!!

YARRGH! That image does make me mad though, just because of how impractical it is.

I'm not a feminist or anything, I'm just merely pointing out the flaws from a tactical standpoint.

I mean all it would take is for a Zombieman or Shotgunguy to shoot her in the ass or something and she'd probably bleed.... and that's not good battle-wise.

Just saying. =P

DoomzRules said:

I mean it's kinda like us guys, wearing armor everywhere except our abs and our crotch area. That would be retarded, and not a single guy I know would do that.

So realistically speaking, regardless of what gender you are, or what race, or whatever you are, we'd all armor up extremely well, because we are fighting demons here!!!

There's something to be said for stylistic choices, unrealistic stuff for the sake of looking interesting or unique. And this is Doom. So I say let's keep all abs exposed and all haircuts weird and pointy.

I echo the above feminist sentiments. I don't think id's marketing team is even mature enough to tackle a fem-doomguy, though. :p

For my part, I agree with dsm, that a fun mid-90s -style cover would make me the happiest. Failing that, I'd like to see an homage to the Doom II cover: Same poses; just doomguy facing off against a big enemy (not the new cybie, though - it looks like Bleszinskesque interpretation).

PsychoGoatee said:

There's something to be said for stylistic choices, unrealistic stuff for the sake of looking interesting or unique. And this is Doom. So I say let's keep all abs exposed and all haircuts weird and pointy.

Yeah.... but isn't there a way we guys can show off our abs without you know exposing them and shit? Cause if you get shot in the abs that hurts. =P

I should know, I do 100 pushups, situps, pullups, and squats every day. =3

GoatLord said:

Depends, if the guys had exposed muscles and abs and secondary sexual characteristics in impractical ways than i'd see no reason for them to avoid that with the women. Seeing as they are going for a more practical looking suit, than It should be completely covered up for women as well. So if I saw this female marine alongside the 6-packed 16-inch arm male marine it wouldn't seem out of place, but alongside the completely suited up modern version it makes no fucking sense.

There's no need to politicize things, its about having a consistent aesthetic and thats one of the things that pisses me off about fantasy and sci fi games that have impractical armour for women and completely practical armour for men, its inconsistent.. I mean the female characters in Gears of War look like they came out of a completely different game, while on the otherhand, in God of War the emphasized sexuality is consistent, and to be expected.

Touchdown said:

I can't believe people actually like the black box with a logo. I don't get it.

Also, I haven't been following the discussions too much but I've seen the Cyberdemon in the CGI trailer and on the cover. I see people bitch and moan and whine about it all the time. What exactly is wrong with it?

There's already a thread about it.