Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AdirBlaz

How can I make my crosshair stand out?

In Doom (using Zandronum) I've been using a custom crosshair pack to help myself get a balanced crosshair, and I make said crosshair a nice cyan color. It's distinct as-is, but sometimes I lose sight of it on certain blue textures/sprites. I've been wondering, is there anything around or any way to get the crosshair to be even more distinct? Maybe a different color someone may suggest, or if possible, give me a sorta script to slap into the console that maybe changes the crosshair's color over time? I have no idea how to do such script myself, sadly...

tl;dr How do I make my crosshair stand out?

crosshairhealth 0

bind r "crosshaircolor FFFF00"

bind q "crosshaircolor 0000FF"

This console script will change crosshair color upon pressing certain keys. Use such 2 colors that highly contrast with each other, so that whenever the crosshair's color matches the background, toggling it to the other color will immediately make it stand out.

Nice, that'll work for me until I get something that makes it flash automatically or something.

If you really want an automatically flashing crosshair, I can only think of doing it like this:

crosshairhealth 0

alias runflash "set flash 1; crosshaircolor 0000FF; wait 8; crosshaircolor FFFF00; wait 8; test = $flash 1 runflash"

bind r runflash

bind q "set flash 0"

Pressing R will make the crosshair flash automatically, and pressing Q will make it stop flashing. Warning: I'm not sure whether calling runflash within runflash creates a new process or executes within the old process - if the former, it is safe to let it run infinitely long, and if the latter, it may stop working or crash the game if you let it run for too long.

Edited by scifista42

Woo, thanks for that. Now all I gotta do is be an iffy thing that I am and set the yellow/blue colors to cyan/pink. But aside that, thanks!

After one more quick test, I believe it is actually safe to let it run for infinitely long. Although if GZDoom kept track of nested calls regardless of whether they recursed or not, I may be wrong.

I was kinda wondering how on earth changing the colors would crash the game, honestly, I'm pretty sure it's just automating a console command.

My solution features a command calling itself over and over. I find it plausible that the engine could automatically keep some data about each iteration of the call, the data would accumulate over time, and either exceed some security limit or make the engine run out of memory.

Draw rabbits and arrows pointing to it along with text that reads "ENMZ die here"

Couldn't you draw a crosshair with a different colored outline?

That's always the best way to layer text onto an image/video, why not your crosshair?