Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
doomplaya

doom and windows XP

Well have fun with your DOS. Just don't expect it to work with things like XP(haven't tested mind you). As for DOOM95, another waste of space. it's great that you can do all that stuff with the original, but it aint going tow ork with things like new Operating systems because it is too OLD. End of debate.

GavinJCD

It's just that I play 1on1 DM and record demos only with doom2.exe

since i live in australia, the best way to play against good players is with zdoom.exe (if they agree to using that), and i try to get as best doom2.exe compatability (gameplay-wise) as possible. i refuse to use jump in dm matches, and i never use freelook. i use zdaemon, but not as constant lately because of udm1 testing (unidoom dm 1, which is doom2.exe compatible).

i use 320x200 in every port except gl ports, because i've grown up with that resolution.

I grew up with all sorts of stuff (Atari 2600, Commodore 64, doom.exe), but after playing a source port and then going back to the original I go "ewww" at the resolution... My port of choice is ZDoom (mainly because of the editing features), and I very rarely use doom.exe or another source port (only to check out things, like QDoom)

Let's see. Arioch, didja mention that XP Compatibility? Cuz like, shit dude, if the DirectInput of D95 won't work in XP straight then tell these dickheads to right-click the doom95.exe file and put a compatibility mode on it.

They do work, ya know. I see no reason itn't work here.

I find this important to mention because JHexen will not run on my XP unless I set the compatibility down to 98/ME.

They actually work... it is pretty damn amazing.

Katgut, you have a point. Doom.exe is infinitely more mod-compatible than Doom95. But other than that...gah.

Waldon, I understand your view, I just harbor a considerable amount of contempt for it. Basically because you're better at Doom than I am, since I don't know any of those nifty tricks. And before anyone says it's because I haven't been playing long enough...let me pull out my commercial v1.1 diskettes. I just haven't played enough DM to know those nifty tricks.

Gooberman, it's not the resolution as much that bothers me as the color depth. Eight-bit color is just so disgusting to me now. It literally makes me nauseous. That's why I can't really use Zdoom anymore. It's just so...nasty. If Randy puts 16-bit color into the next version of Zdoom (and hardware rendering! That would be happy.), then it will easily be my port of choice. As it stands, though, Vavoom still holds the #1 spot for me, with Legacy a VERY close second.

I didn't mention XP compatibility mode because the exact same option that was made available to win2k users didn't work with Doom95. JHexen ran fine on win2k without compatibility options and I don't see any reason why that should change when running on XP ... but go figure.

Either way my suggestion is to junk doom95.exe and install a source port. ;)

I'm in a very weird mood today, so I will try to explain this old-exe-why-do-you-use-it-use-a-port-instead thing from our perspective.

As far as I know, all those "bugs" you listed are in MBF, which means they're also in Boom and PRBoom as well.

Most of the bugs in boom/mbf have been fixed in prboom.

Most of the bugs in boom/mbf have been fixed in prboom.

Interesting. I hear its demo playback is near perfect, that's what led me to believe those bugs were intentionally left in.

I never use PRBoom cause it messes up the lighting.

About prboom:

I hear its demo playback is near perfect, that's what led me to believe those bugs were intentionally left in.

The player can turn on/off the bugfixes, therefor choose between doom2.exe demo compatibility and fixed gameplay.