Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TimeOfDeath

Slaughterfest 2012 - NEW Final Final Version is up

GRB - for SF2011 we used slumped. If the texture was a single patch texture, the patch was saved. If the texture was a multi-patch texture, you can use print screen, paste into paint and crop, then save.

oh okay, do you still have the sf2k11 texture file? Also, for one of these, is there someone who could make an official Slaughterfest texture pack? I mean with new textures just for our project.

fda for slaughterstein

I was sleepy and sick (and still am, bah) so I played like an ass. I usually don't post up how I get owned, but hey, it's for a higher purpose. Do I see some concealed sunder map 10 in the background? ;)

TimeOfDeath said:

If the texture was a multi-patch texture, you can use print screen, paste into paint and crop, then save.

I wonder if you like to waste your time.

Lots of good insight from that, j4rio. Thanks.

I intended to have the map be in two parts, starting with a circumvoluted path circling around the castle, with small firefights, then the castle itself with hordes of monsters and gigantic open spaces. When I realised how big the castle already was, I started being worried about performance issues ; gameplay concerns popped up as well it's hard to make reasonably tough fights in very open areas that don't result in sudden deaths after a few missteps, and I could see multiple deaths right after picking up the BFG being a lot more tedious if they occured after 20 minutes of playing already.

That is to say, I scrapped this first part idea and salvaged what I could out of it to have some eyecandy in the background. So, not really a Sunder Map10 influence this time, at least not consciously. :)

Perhaps the start ends up too brutal this way. What I didn't like in particular is the area before the bridge - I intended to have it as a last resort fallback area, but never even tried it, and as evidenced in your FDA the only "cover" there is is the bridge itself, and without any ammo or health it's more of a death sentence than anything else. I added some brick walls, shells and medikits around to hopefully make this a little better, although obviously the player should still press a bit forward for more juicy ammo.

So the slime doesn't hurt. Oops. Damaging sectors is one of these things I like to put off for as long as possible, as it's all too easy to set something to damage when it shouldn't if you modify the architecture, but as a result I end up forgetting about it half of the time...

Those three stuck barons were worth a good laugh, certainly puts to light the "quality" playtesting I've done on this before uploading. :)

I've changed a few more things here and there, although overall there's been no big cut into the hordes, yet. I intend this to be especially punishing to players rushing through. Still possible hopefully, but I definitely want zipping through the hordes to remain somewhat challenging even with foreknowledge, whereas hanging back and killing everything before proceeding to the next part should ideally be reliable with some practice.

Slaughtenstein 28/01 B

Edit: also forgot to tag a secret. Updated link above.

Edit 2: a few more changes still. Slaughtenstein 28/01 C

Edit 3: more tweaks. Slaughtenstein 28/01 D

Edit 4: one more small change. It's only after the upload is done that I remember I missed something... Slaughtenstein 28/01 E

Edit 5: last one for today. Had a broken teleporter and tweaked a few minor things. Slaughtenstein 28/01 F

After seeing a FDA by dannebubinga with some of the same issues and sore spots as in j4rio's, I made a few small changes to the first fight that should make it potentially much easier on people if they want it to be so (changed walkover lines to switches for more control on what happens and when, added a couple of soulspheres, some ammo and some cover).

I was a bit concerned it ended up making that fight too easy, and there's lower difficulties anyway ; but on the other end, my goal isn't to make hard maps, and a player looking for maximum speed will still want to flip everything ASAP and experience the fight "as intended".

Slaughtenstein 03/02

A note to any potential mappers:

Even if you just want to make a layout without any gameplay, I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding people in this thread to do gameplay for you.

Slaughtenstein 03/02 B. One switch wouldn't light up as I mistakenly applied the texture to the upper part as well. No other changes.

Edit: wait, no, this fixes nothing. I'm thinking it's the extended nodes messing up something here.

Can't find any way to deal with it, so I guess my switches will just look stupid. Use that latest version anyway.

Shore Of Hell v2 requires cc4-tex.wad.

Serious changes here. Still no difficulty implemented, but UV still needs some tweaking probably. I feel like the map is acceptable, but not finished.

:( failed max attempt of slaughtenstein, died after 40 mins, why do i post it?, because i am sure phml will watch it and find something wrong, then fix it and make the demo desync, but idc if it's a failed max.

So I screwed up the secret switches and didn't account for the possibility the player might come from above to the revenant/chaingunner fight. Oops. Thanks for the demo, and as you guessed, new version on the way. ;)

Edit: Slaughtenstein 09/02. Hopefully alright. I went for some quick test runs to check in a few different ways if the changes worked, nothing beyond that.

Weird thing about nodes: I had switched back to ZDoom normal nodes in DB2 and it built and compressed nodes just as if I used extended nodes. I guess it does that automatically beyond a certain sidedef threshold? Looks like I worried about using extended nodes for nothing, heh.

If you see any possible glides, unescapable pits or switches presses through unusual means in my maps, it's always a mapping mistake rather than something intended.

FDA for degrassi. Best attempt sees about 10% of the map, if the monster count is to be trusted!

If this was appropriate difficulty for cc4, I don't want to ever hear anything about my maps being too hard. ;)

I liked it, but I think I'm going to go through it with saves.

Phml said:

If this was appropriate difficulty for cc4, I don't want to ever hear anything about my maps being too hard. ;)

Haha. HNTR/HMP were fine ;-)

Anyhow, for the curious, TGH explains

Slaughtenstein UV-Speed in 4:24
I think a mapping mistake makes this route possible, but demo also shows how easy is speed inside part (I did it on my 1st try)

Slaughtenstein UV-Speed in 4:24
I think a mapping mistake makes this route possible, but demo also shows how easy is speed inside part (I did it on my 1st try)

Ha, nice catch. The teleporter was supposed to be accessible right from the start (this is how I intended for players who couldn't/didn't want to deal with the first two cybies to frag them before I added the switches), but somehow it never dawned on me this could be used beyond that. Doh...

Being easy to speed through doesn't concern me, but the early teleport does potentially turn every fight into "let's hang out on the ramparts and not throw a punch", and the infighting possibilities would make this the fastest and the safest option, so I'll have to change that. Thanks! This map would have been such a broken mess without your help.

Edit: Slaughtenstein 10/02

Ammo was definitely a perceived problem, the amount as much as the placement. At certain spots I had enough or even too much and picked up nothing, during other times I had to run halfway through the map to get more ammo. Health, to an extent, was a bit of the same thing.

The archvile extravaganza is as much to blame as anything else for these issues. Without foreknowledge, it's hard to react appropriately when you're being jumped by any group of mid-tier monsters plus three or more archviles, unless you've got a clear line of sight on everything.

Another problem, in my opinion, is I felt I was fighting against the environment rather than against monsters most of the time. The rail tracks, the hills around the rocket launcher and the MARBFACE pillars on the heightened platform after the BFG are some offenders that spring to mind.

While I'm complaining, I did not like the jump from sector 102 to sector 93 (crates). With a 24 pixels height difference and a 48 pixels length, it's fairly frustrating.

Admittedly, these issues wouldn't be as pronounced on lower difficulties or with further playthroughs.

Imp #543 spawns stuck into a barrel.

Yeah, I'm gonna fix that crate jump and the ammo situation. I'm gonna leave the railroad ties, but maybe lower them so they aren't as high. I'll put up a new version later tonight with some fixes.

I might also move the hills near the RL. I put them there for the end fight, but whatever.