Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Erick194

[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

3 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

Also this console switch is absolutely unintuitive. Take into account the fact that official PSX Doom developers never uses that way for switches. Because there is no real "console" flats in PSX Doom. Just change this misapprehension to SW1BMET and you can even save one more sector.

+1

3 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

Plutonia MAP11 is a tough choice. It probably needs a different approach, rather a way which implemented in Lost Levels.

+11

Well...I'm still like my conversion for TLL, so do not dissapoint me :p

I wanted to claim this map, btw. But it's ok if somebody else will take it if wanted.

I don't know much about the line bug. If it happens just in a specific angle, I'd just let it slide. The way I see it, they are just like slime trails in Vanilla. They are inherent to the engine and most probably they will always be around like it or not.

The same issue happens with some original maps in PSX that has misaligned textures that now I know is to avoid texture stretching and objects disappearing when between sectors. Hopefully they should be avoided, but I don't think you have to go to the stretch of making major changes to your map just to get rid of a line.

Yeah, I have a couple of those lines in Power Control. I tried to mitigate them, but it seems impossible to eliminate some of them.

Unrelated, @Erick194 have you looked into the possibility, not specifically for this project, of speeding up the Revenant a bit? I've actually taken HNTR's approach of using chaingunners in some of Realm's encounters since Revenants are barely a threat in this version.

New maps have been added to the OP, the rejected map of Tom Mustaine's master levels and John Romero's maps. Available in the PSX LEVELS file.

Doom2 Map14 Homage (TWM01.WAD)
E1M4B: Phobos Mission Control

E1M8B: Tech Gone Bad

This is probably more obvious than it sounds but, would the original maps be merged with the ones we are converting so that if someone for example wants to do a full run of DooM 2, all of the maps will be there in order.

5 minutes ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

Unrelated, @Erick194 have you looked into the possibility, not specifically for this project, of speeding up the Revenant a bit? I've actually taken HNTR's approach of using chaingunners in some of Realm's encounters since Revenants are barely a threat in this version.

There is the possibility to modify the speed of the Revenant, but it would affect the synchronization of DEMO01 in Final Doom.

2 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Esto es probablemente más obvio de lo que suena, pero, ¿los mapas originales se fusionarían con los que estamos convirtiendo, de modo que si alguien, por ejemplo, quiere hacer una ejecución completa de DooM 2, todos los mapas estarán allí en orden.

That is the main idea, to play the original maps and the converted ones in their respective game.

1 hour ago, Erick194 said:

Doom2 Map14 Homage (TWM01.WAD)
E1M4B: Phobos Mission Control

E1M8B: Tech Gone Bad

Good news, but Xbox shitty maps are still declined?

BTW, what about the NRFTL maps?

I'll keep it in mind, I have to take a look at them, by the way, here's a video that shows the possible menu.

This is a preview of the original result, I decided to hide certain effects so as not to ruin the final result.

Edited by Erick194

9 hours ago, Erick194 said:

I'll keep it in mind, I have to take a look at them

I'm also advice to check the TLL versions of those maps for understanding why I'm even start talking about those maps.

The menu is totally awesome. It's better than I imagined!

But I'm also notice that the "United Fire-Intro Master Edition" logo should be recreated in better way in future. But I don't know yet how should look the better logo.

Edited by DeXiaZ

Hunted_Pic1.png.0dd1b3074d29dcb2865c2df4ab894fbd.png

It was at this moment I knew, I f***ed up.

Hunted_Pic2.png.2db41a4f08c8fa5cb68cf0457174ee16.png

Fixed it! :D (Now you may be asking, why isn't the fence texture used in the original map 11 not present here? Well for some reason PSX Final DooM decided it wanted to throw a hissy fit and not render them (Even when I drastically cut down the amount of textures loaded) so instead this is here).

Hunted_Pic3.png.39a72241a36b9127c393f1b77b204e1e.png

T W O P O I N T F I V E D E E ! ! !... with added 3D-ish effects :3

Hunted_Pic4.png.561e29511557158e522e9ff297320226.png

Oops... wrong exit >_>

The map is almost finished, just wanna give it a few more run throughs and touch-ups.

27 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Hunted_Pic1.png.0dd1b3074d29dcb2865c2df4ab894fbd.png

It was at this moment I knew, I f***ed up.

Hunted_Pic2.png.2db41a4f08c8fa5cb68cf0457174ee16.png

Fixed it! :D (Now you may be asking, why isn't the fence texture used in the original map 11 not present here? Well for some reason PSX Final DooM decided it wanted to throw a hissy fit and not render them (Even when I drastically cut down the amount of textures loaded) so instead this is here).

I hope you're not forgot about render midtexture along with clip midtexture flags:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/101161-gec-master-edition-psx-doom-for-the-playstation-community-project-starting-now-mappers-required-add-new-maps-3172018/?do=findComment&comment=1892225

The cosmetic 3D effect is good, until it starts to cause slowdowns.

Edited by riderr3

48 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

As @riderr3 said, you just forgot to check "render the mid-texture" flag

49 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

The map is almost finished, just wanna give it a few more run throughs and touch-ups.

Don't forget that wrong exit also was an exit from the level. The player must have a way to get out of this room even if his health is 1%

Cyberden. Still W.I.P.:

URIDiC1l.jpg

ClxI6Drl.jpg

XCIF02fl.jpg

KxiD3Tkl.jpg

Major difference from the BaronOfStuff' version (TLL) - I've saved the idea of CyberSatan Switch:

INgYHyhl.jpg

I've got the idea of this map only yesterday - the map represents as enemies Cybernetic demons. But due to limits I had to cut away pinkies and mancubi.

rezrYfil.jpg

That's why there are a lot of chaingunners:

RFf3rH5l.jpg

TGbR5mKl.jpg

I've also saved the idea of bleeding gargoyle. Hope you will like it:

Jtjjpqxl.jpg

Sometimes I'm getting this LOD issue:

KDWUf8g.jpg

But I'm not sure, possibly this is the emulator-only problem.

21 minutes ago, DeXiaZ said:

Sometimes I'm getting this LOD issue:

KDWUf8g.jpg

But I'm not sure, possibly this is the emulator-only problem.

It happened when you stand on certain points. I've encountered such issue at MANOR.WAD, and later when I removed/simplified some sectors, it's fixed.

Also, noticed many people are removing mancubi from most maps. I've only preserved them on Abattoire.
For sure they take up too much space in VRAM, but I hope somebody will save the fatsoes at least on couple of maps!

Yeah, I've tried to keep Mancubi on every level I've converted so far and always fail... On my custom level set, I've made sure to include the fatso!

Anyway, here are some shots of Realm:

image.png.287426843cbe2e15395c4a72dd456f4f.png

Plutonia maps tended to be color-light in the original game. I'm not sure if that was a design decision or just a looming deadline, but I've definitely taken a more colorful approach with my conversions. I hope they don't stand out too much when played alongside the original levels.

image.png.993141929569e279547588ce91d48960.png

This area originally had a brightness gradient (which didn't even really show in software-rendered Doom, since the increments were so small), I retained that but I also added a color gradient coming off the dark blue water sectors.

image.png.f19bf2646073f234b2a205137499defd.png

Optimized the exit area of Realm without losing too much of the cool geometry. Got rid of the wooden columns for the torches, moved four of the torches to the platform with the exit, eliminated the mostly pointless cracks between sectors 33, 38, and 29, and walled off the area with the blue switch with a new door. The framerate is relatively good now, and I was able to leave the banners alone--I considered merging them into a single wall, but I think this is good enough. It still chugs when the Revenants spawn in, but it runs smoother than some of the official conversions, and it's no longer unplayably slow.

I have added these two images bp0orkmhvnmmaetzg.jpg sfo7f8c6hg61957zg.jpg, next to the names of the maps in the OP, mostly to verify which maps are already finished and which are in progress.

I need others' opinion. What texture is being used on the door in this horribly low res scan?

TWM01PSX.png

The original texture is BIGDOOR1, but the PS1 equivalents (DOOR02, DOOR07) are only 96 pixels wide, padded out to 128 with black space. This means that either the door texture was replaced, or the map geometry was modified. To me, it looks like the UAC logo is still on that door, but I can't say with any certainty.

I'm going to try to track down better scans, but I doubt I'll have much luck, these screenshots are tiny in the original article.

I consider that it maintains the same texture, but due to what you mentioned with the textures of the PS1, I would do the following, divide the line into three and adjust the central texture and add the SILVER1 texture on the sides.

2yvg1l53y376q78zg.jpg

fve9bxtxc53ekx2zg.jpg

If you consider changing the geometry of the doors, it is also understandable.

Edited by Erick194

9 hours ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

I need others' opinion. What texture is being used on the door in this horribly low res scan?

In my opinion it's not the UAC Door. It's a Green Techno Door (DOOR05)

Mind if I give The Omen a try? :)

Edit:

JESUS! I was not Expecting The Omen to convert so cleanly!

I'm done already!

Omen_P1.png.3ac0bcb9c8e09ae39dc5a4238b2c0914.png

This is always fun to do ^_^

Omen_P2.png.e09512d8564178fc30138e31621a16f8.png

And that's why :D

Omen_P3.png.3a98e4c4d6ac6ea9d2ac50d5879c8d64.png

I gave the parts under this.... whatever it's meant to be (doesn't even look like foundation >_>) a darker green. I like it :)

Omen_P4.png.5967d1d11dda62b1c01dccefddc9e43f.png

For being a basic bridge this DOES look pretty cool.

Omen_P5.png.688f8ee32a1feefc8152ca33fd4d5032.png

I noticed these simefalls don't animate despite other slimefalls on the map actually working... I am confused ._.

Edited by DynamiteKaitorn : WOW